Forum Home Forum Home > Other Vehicles Area > Other Vehicles - Your Project
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Willys Stand In

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote littlesteve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Willys Stand In
    Posted: 14 Apr. 2020 at 10:13pm
I bought this YJ at 14:03 on Aug 18th 2018 and like a fine wine Ive let it sit for two years having never actually used it on the road (dont ask had Land Rover, worst idea of my life) 
Technically thats not true, having brought it the 130 odd miles home with relatively no issue, the wife and I decided we would drive it to the coast for dinner with some friends 160 mile round trip, no biggy.
Jeep had other ideas, it used 17 gallons of gas to go there and back, completely lost power and was sputtering and coughing. Was the day after that I lost interest, which after having ultra reliable XJ's (4 of) over the years I was a shade peeved.
Fast forward two years and i have decided its time for a revival, add to that its coming up to camping season. Well it actually is camping season but we don't wanna get the plague now do we. Anyway the short version is I'm not likely to have a Willys built by then so use what you have etc, I happen to have a YJ.

In between then and now I have had the radiator repaired because it was dangling in the hole where it was supposed to be and bought all the parts to get the motor running right ish. I have checked the flash codes, now was that three or four flashes. I've probed most of the sensors out as per manual and the only one i have not probed is the O2 sensor. Anyways I ordered O2, Air temp, Water temp sensor, water pump. Im not messing about.
I have got as far as fitting the water pump.
So this coming Friday I'm dragging it the shop to continue the reassembly. There is a fair list of other bits need doing, I will document as we go.

One of the next things is I will have to put a welder to it, which I was, in the interim desperately trying to avoid and try to keep it as original as possible but i fear its coming to that tipping point of restoration or modification. guess I will have to keep it looking original. Ish.

Edit: I sat and thought overnight about what else I had found wrong with it...

1) Rear wheel cylinders leaking
2) Steering column has been got at. (not Bubba'd, worse, by a hack)
3) All the brake lines are fausty
4) Alternator was goosed, bearing seized and the front housing had grown enough with fuzz that it was grabbing the rotor, had this repaired at the local rotary electrics shop
5) I'm sure the brakes will want going over now.
6) The steering wheel is now ruined from sitting and that style of wheel is half the reason I bought it (reminiscent of the old XJ) so I will have to swap for a Longacre thing  

I'm sure there is more but that's what I randomly thought of.

I'd love to say I have loads of cool memories of this Jeep but I'm getting by on the hopes of cool times to come.

Edited by littlesteve - 15 Apr. 2020 at 9:51am
jpet brought me here.

XJ
KJ CRD x5 (+1 on the way,probably)
YJ about to be butchered & hit with the restoring stick.
TJ
One day I'll have a Willys, be cool like everybody else.
berettajeep View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote berettajeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr. 2020 at 12:32am
Hey you bought that on my girlfriends birthday!

What motor/transmission does it have?
littlesteve View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote littlesteve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr. 2020 at 9:37am
Originally posted by berettajeep berettajeep wrote:

Hey you bought that on my girlfriends birthday!

What motor/transmission does it have?

That's cool, If I can remember when I bought the Jeep, I will wish her well.

4.0, AX15, NP231.
The AX needs a rebuild as I think second gear syncro has all but fell out. 
Not entirely sure if the motor isn't wore out either as its seems a heavy breather but we will see when I have it running again.
jpet brought me here.

XJ
TJ

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote littlesteve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr. 2020 at 10:18am
Originally posted by littlesteve littlesteve wrote:

Originally posted by chasendeer chasendeer wrote:

Now that there has been talk about a 2021 Rubicon trip with the Quaaazy8’s I need to get busy!!
Had some spring mounts and a pto drive shaft so up this week. Along with a spindle that I sent to Jpet to get modified for a 30 spline floating rear end. 

Jay

I happen to have a stock YJ. What do you need to know? I'm considering pulling the 4.0 and stuffing a VM Motori 2.8 (R428) in it. I'm not sure what I'm going to gain other than cool factor and a six speed manual and a ton of knowledge. Oh yeah....30 to the gallon (US)(assuming I gear it correctly)

Edit: I thought of more things.... Cool turbo whistle.
It's still a Jeep engine as it was designed and built almost exclusively for Chrysler, it must be it has a Jeep engine cover. 
Excellent at altitude. 
Lighter weight.
140 amp alternator. A/C Compressor for OBA.
300 or there abouts ft/lbs torque. 
Simple fuel system.
Did I mention turbo?

I stole this that I put in another thread, do we agree that it is or isn't a good idea?
jpet brought me here.

XJ
TJ
Ol' Unreliable View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr. 2020 at 2:01am
It would be a good idea for someone to try...  Smile
There's a reason it's called Ol' Unreliable

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote littlesteve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr. 2020 at 9:20am
Originally posted by Ol' Unreliable Ol' Unreliable wrote:

It would be a good idea for someone to try...  Smile

I agree but who  is that someone?
jpet brought me here.

XJ
TJ

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr. 2020 at 6:57am
Unsurprisingly, that someone isn't me.  Smile

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote littlesteve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr. 2020 at 10:24am
Have to be me then,
Working on it, I think I have a motor and trans, the one KJ I bought has more problems than I want to fix to return it to road use. 
Motor needs a little work, suspected Vacuum Pump and has a boost problem. I think its associated with the vacuum because the brakes suck. need to acquire some tools and see whats afoot.
Will build a test rig for it which will allow run up as I remove KJ equipment off it, am looking for an agricultural irrigation pump so I can load it up test it as though it was pulling.
The trolley will also allow me to load the engine and transmission in and out of the YJ as I test fit and such.

Edited by littlesteve - 29 Apr. 2020 at 10:29am
jpet brought me here.

XJ
TJ

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote littlesteve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2020 at 10:00pm
Boost problem attended to, now is a certified hoon mobile. At least I think it is, had to put more diesel in it then the battery died.
Should probably take some pictures or something. Public holiday Friday so might start pulling the front out of it. Before then though I may use it to rip to the post office for the next three days.
jpet brought me here.

XJ
TJ
Joe Friday View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joe Friday Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2020 at 10:24pm
Yes, pictures would be great.

I planned on dropping my spare CRD into an LJ, but if it's a nice fit in a flatfender things could change directions.

The LJ could get the crate 5.9 and NV4500 that been collecting dust in the garage for 30 years.

(I actually had to google what a Hoon Mobile was...)

Edited by Joe Friday - 04 May 2020 at 10:27pm
RICKG View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RICKG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2020 at 10:49pm
Originally posted by Joe Friday Joe Friday wrote:

Yes, pictures would be great.

I planned on dropping my spare CRD into an LJ, but if it's a nice fit in a flatfender things could change directions.

The LJ could get the crate 5.9 and NV4500 that been collecting dust in the garage for 30 years.

(I actually had to google what a Hoon Mobile was...)

Yup, had to go looksee..

Those commonly identified as being involved in hooning are young and predominantly male drivers in the age range of 17 to 25 years.
I never met a mule I didn't like!
MC51986 "OD MULE" DOD 01-52
'50 CJ3A "Bucksnort".
Keep 'em Rollin'

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote littlesteve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2020 at 11:05pm
I knew of the "Hoon" before those chumps ever got hold of it. 
Im talking 15yrs ago.

Watch this space then for pictures. Oh and pray for decent weather this coming weekend.

jpet brought me here.

XJ
TJ

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2020 at 10:24pm
I always pray for decent weather but rarely get it. 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote littlesteve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 June 2020 at 9:14pm
Well I managed to get some time on the Jeep, put the cooling system back together, runs good.
pulled the steering column apart and started to fix the hackery. I now need a new column jacket as the old one fell apart where someone put a hacksaw through it.
jpet brought me here.

XJ
TJ
 Post Reply Post Reply