Forum Home Forum Home > Bantam Trailer - Discussion - For Sale - Wanted > Bantam Trailer - Tech Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Axle - normal or not

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bryuly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Axle - normal or not
    Posted: 05 May 2020 at 3:18pm
I have been working on my trailer and was looking at the axle and wondering if the ends of the axle are worn down or if this is normal? 

If they are worn down does anyone have a fix for this situation?

Thanks in advance. If you need more pictures let me know.

Edited by bryuly - 05 May 2020 at 3:23pm
Joe DeYoung View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joe DeYoung Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2020 at 6:57pm
That center section is not a concern as the bearings seat on the either side of it. What is of concern is the surface where the wheel seal rides. Looks pretty ruff.
Joe DeYoung
to many jeeps, parts, and accessories to list here, but apparently enough to keep me in trouble with my wife.

bryuly View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bryuly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2020 at 10:32pm
Joe,

Thank you so much for your input. I just want to make sure I understand when you are talking about where the wheel seal rides. Is the location you are asking about the ones indicated in the images attached to this post?

As a side note. The majority of the axle has been sand blasted to remove all of the layers of paint (3 layers...) So it sounds like I may have blasted an area that shouldn't have been blasted?

Thanks again,
Brad

Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joe DeYoung Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2020 at 10:50pm
Yes, that is where the wheel seal rides and yes, you should not have sand blasted that area. It now has abrasive impregnated into the surface which will ruin your new seal. You can fix that area by use of a speedy sleeve.
Joe DeYoung
to many jeeps, parts, and accessories to list here, but apparently enough to keep me in trouble with my wife.

bryuly View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bryuly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2020 at 12:01am
Thanks for clarifying for me. This is my first restoration as you probably have gathered. Do you think some fine grit sanding will help enough. I don't think I took off enough metal to reduce the size enough. I guess I will try it and find out since it can't get any worse now...
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joe DeYoung Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2020 at 1:01pm
I have doubts that the fine grit sanding will do it but I suppose you would only be out a seal, some time, and maybe bearings depending on your enviroment if it fails.
Joe DeYoung

bryuly View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bryuly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2020 at 2:11pm
Joe, 
Thanks again. I at least feel better about the location the bearings sit. I was worried the bearings were causing wear but now that you pointed out the locations they sit I feel better about that. I will work on trying to get the other part smooth and see how that works out.

I will try to follow up when done on how it goes...but it may be a while at my rate :)
mickeykelley View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mickeykelley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr. 2022 at 2:06pm
Interesting pic as it matches mine.  I just pulled everything getting ready for a camping trip this summer and my axel has the same middle issue.  Wondering if it was that way from the factory?

Edited by mickeykelley - 09 Apr. 2022 at 2:18pm
wheelie View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wheelie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr. 2022 at 1:42pm
To the OP.........IMO, that seal surface should basically be a polished surface. Sandblasting has significantly damaged it and sanding or grinding to fix it will probably yield an undersized diameter. I think if it were me, I'd go with the suggested speedi-sleeve repair and move on.
 Post Reply Post Reply