Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

After market tail gates

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMusil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: After market tail gates
    Posted: 09 May 2020 at 11:42pm
Any one buy an after market CJ2A tail gate. Are they any good? Metal thickness compared to the OEM?
DMusil
IronAge52 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IronAge52 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2020 at 4:59am
A friend once gave me a tailgate . He thought he was doing me a favor. I could quickly guess it was a re-pop ,Red primer. IT looked good ,looked like it was good thickness of steel.
I tried to put it on my Jeep. You can guess , it didn't fit. The two horizontal flats were too thick to enter the hinges. I would be darn to modify my original hinges. so mounted the re pop tail gate on my milling machine to machine the two pins so they would fit. NOT FUN.
The re pop stuff only looks good 50 feet away.
The re pop guys just don't get it,  willy s jeeps are are our passion, our hobby we don't want junk.
I f you buy one and it fits your are lucky.
gearwrencher
DMusil View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMusil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2020 at 12:02pm
Thanks for the heads up.
DMusil
IRQVET View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IRQVET Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2020 at 6:01pm
I bought one a few years back for my CJ5, it was a Mopar stamped product (not literally stamped, but more like Mopar licensed product), coated in black primer (most likely an MD Juan). I think I got it from Walcks 4WD and I was very pleased with it. Metal was a thick as the OEM one, fit great, looked great, I would not hessitate to do it again. Back then (2015) I think I paid around $141 but I think the price has sneaked up since then to around $170-180.

Edited by IRQVET - 10 May 2020 at 6:04pm
Dean
Operation Iraqi Freedom Veteran
49' CJ2A w/ GPA Engine #8924
67 CJ5 (Sold)
DMusil View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMusil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2020 at 6:22pm
A positive review! Thanks
DMusil
SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2020 at 8:25pm
Originally posted by IRQVET IRQVET wrote:

I bought one a few years back for my CJ5, it was a Mopar stamped product (not literally stamped, but more like Mopar licensed product), coated in black primer (most likely an MD Juan). I think I got it from Walcks 4WD and I was very pleased with it. Metal was a thick as the OEM one, fit great, looked great, I would not hessitate to do it again. Back then (2015) I think I paid around $141 but I think the price has sneaked up since then to around $170-180.

If the sheet metal is stamped "WILLYS" then MD Juan pays Fiat/Chrysler a royalty for the use of a trademark. If it is sheet metal without the trademark then they probably they don't.

With "WILLYS" stamping on the tailgate. $250. Without, $175.

46 CJ-2A #64462 "Ol' Red" (bought April 1969)(second owner)(12 V, 11" brakes, M-38 frame, MD Juan tub)

U.S. Coast Guard Chief Petty Officer(ret.)
U.S. Army Vietnam veteran and damned proud of it.

IRQVET View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IRQVET Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2020 at 11:51pm
Like I said, the prices are sneaking up. I see them on eBay all day long for $140 to $160 + shipping in the black primer, cheaper if its in red primer which is usually an Omix ADA and lower quality from what I've heard. No personal experience with them (the red ones).  

The MD Juan version that is Mopar licensed was top notch, can't go wrong in my opinion. I'm about to buy one myself. My OEM tailgate is bent up, so its going to be my off road trip tailgate so I can affix my Jerry can and spare tire to it. Its already dented and rusted, so who cares if I drill holes in it. The MD Juan one will be for in town and parade duty, where I just want it to look nice. 

Edited by IRQVET - 10 May 2020 at 11:57pm
Dean
Operation Iraqi Freedom Veteran
49' CJ2A w/ GPA Engine #8924
67 CJ5 (Sold)
 Post Reply Post Reply