Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Tech Questions and Answers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Ignition Switch Question

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WeeWilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2020 at 8:28pm

I am guessing that you still have the floor starter switch and if so, it is a circuit of it's own from battery to starter and should turn the motor over if nothing else works, that is if the starter switch is good.  I would check the battery and battery cable terminals first at both ends of the cables for good contact.

Jim
47 CJ2A (Ranch Hand) 48 CJ2A, 48 Willys truck, T3C 3782, M274 (Military Mule)
havasujeepn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote havasujeepn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2020 at 8:31pm
Jim, thanks for the advice on the fuse. I'll do that. I did connect the 2 wires going into the circuit breaker, but didn't work. I'll try the fuse next.
David
48 Lefty
SN 183244
ACM 173419
Engine 195912
Block 641087-L-W4
TERRY View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TERRY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2020 at 9:41pm
If you only shorted directly from the + terminal to ground, none of the car circuits were involved, and except for welding the wrench to the hold down there should be no other effect.Question
BOULDER 48 2A

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote havasujeepn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2020 at 10:29pm
I do still have the floor starter switch and I did start the engine this morning before all the electrical problems started. So I cleaned both battery terminals and the connection where the + end of the cable is at the firewall. Made sure that the battery cables were on tight on the terminals. The horn worked for a second and then lost power. I even put the old battery cables and VR to see if that made any difference. It didn't!Cry Well, I'm through for the day and maybe, the Gremlins will fix it by tomorrow morning. Or do Gremlins make things worse?
48 Lefty
SN 183244
ACM 173419
Engine 195912
Block 641087-L-W4
Michaeltru View Drop Down

Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Michaeltru Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2020 at 11:16pm
What is voltage of battery now?  Shorted out the battery?  
Mike in AZ

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote havasujeepn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2020 at 12:00am
Hey Michael, battery is showing fully charged. Is it possible that the ammeter gauge could have shorted out so no juice is going thru? Seems like the horn, lights and starter are hooked up to it and are able to work with the starter switch off. If I put a jumper at the gauge and things start to work, would that mean the gauge needs to be replaced?
48 Lefty
SN 183244
ACM 173419
Engine 195912
Block 641087-L-W4
WeeWilly View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WeeWilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2020 at 12:30am

If you put a jumper from post to post on the amp gauge and everything works, yes the gauge is bad. If it still doesn't work check to see if you have power to the amp terminal from the battery. It might be a bad wire from battery to gauge,  but the starter still should work if the gauge is bad or not.  If the starter isn't working I would be checking the battery.  Try putting a jumper cable from the + battery terminal to the post on the starter that will tell you if the battery and starter is OK.

Jim
Michaeltru View Drop Down

Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Michaeltru Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2020 at 12:44am
What Jim said. If you can’t crank engine with foot switch, problem could be in that foot switch, cause all power to dash, etc goes thru that switch. 
Mike in AZ
Bruce W View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2020 at 2:02am
  Go back and read TERRY’s post. All of you. This accidental short-circus happened in a location in the electrical system, BEFORE any of the rest of the system. Nothing but the positive cable clamp (not even the cable itself), the wrench, the hold-down, the battery tray and the negative cable were involved. Clean the battery posts and cable clamps, and the connecting point of the neg. cable to the frame or batt. tray. A poor connection in any of these locations can pass a small amount of current but can be destroyed by a large draw, like a wrench to any body part. I used to see this a LOT. 
  Also you NEED the engine-mount-to-frame ground strap if your battery is grounded to the frame, for the starter to operate correctly. 

Oh yeah, and ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS disconnect the ground cable first! Now you see what can happen if you don’t. 
BW 

Edited by Bruce W - 24 May 2020 at 2:06am
It is NOT a Jeep Willys! It is a Willys jeep.

Happy Trails! Good-bye, Good Luck, and May the Good Lord Take a Likin' to You!

We Have Miles to Jeep, Before We Sleep.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote havasujeepn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2020 at 3:07am
Okay! You guys are great with the discussion going on here. FYI, I took the + cable and touched the starter terminal and the starter engaged the engine and turned it over. Phew, at least the starter wasn't damaged. 

BW, I did clean the battery posts and cable clamps, and the connecting point of the neg. cable to the frame or batt. tray. And I did install the engine-mount-to-frame ground strap. I'll clean that up just in case. And thank you for the admonition about ALWAYS, 3 times, to disconnect the ground cable first. Even though I've heard it so many times, until it happens to yourself, one time is enough. And now I see what can happen if I don't!

Guess I've got some things to do tomorrow. At least I know that the system is not dead and all your suggestions are very useful for pin pointing an area of concern. Have a great evening!
48 Lefty
SN 183244
ACM 173419
Engine 195912
Block 641087-L-W4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote havasujeepn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2020 at 3:03pm
Well, I connected the neg cable to the battery. Pulled the light switch and the lights came on! Immediately, got in, turned on the key and stepped on the starter...she started right up!Tongue Who can figure. Like I said, maybe the Gremlins will work on it overnight. Just so you know, I did take the circuit breaker off the light switch yesterday, so it couldn't have reset. Possibly there is another breaker that the PO put someplace that I don't know about. But, I am ecstatic this morning and I can continue working on my jeep. And of course, I will disconnect the ground cable, in anything I do! Right, Bruce W?Wink
48 Lefty
SN 183244
ACM 173419
Engine 195912
Block 641087-L-W4
WeeWilly View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WeeWilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2020 at 2:12am

That's scary when you  don't know what fixed it. My first guess would be the terminal on the starter switch that the battery cable and the wire that goes to the amp gauge is attached to is corroded or loose.

Jim

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote havasujeepn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2020 at 1:15am
Well, last Monday, I tried to start the jeep, to no avail. Lights and horn worked, but the starter switch wouldn't work. There was usually a click when I pushed on it, now there was nothing. So I ordered a new floor mounted starter switch. Came in the mail this afternoon. Took the old one out and replaced it with the new one. Turned the key, pressed the starter and she started right up. I have learned a lot of things about the electrical system with the help of everyone in this community. Got a new voltage regulator, new battery cables, braided engine to ground strap, found out about the little hole in front of the battery tray where the neg cable is grounded. And I have been ALWAYS, ALWAYS, ALWAYS been disconnecting the neg battery cable before I do anything electrical!! Even my wife is impressed on how you guys have responded to my issues. Thankful that all this is getting fixed while here at home before we trailer our jeep to Ridgway, CO at the end of July to drive through the trails and take in all the beauty of the countryside. Will be great to get out from behind my desk doing taxes, since the deadline was extended to July 15th. AND get out of the 100+ degree temps that we are experiencing already!
48 Lefty
SN 183244
ACM 173419
Engine 195912
Block 641087-L-W4
jeepdidwhat View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeepdidwhat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2020 at 1:56pm

Good to hear you got everything running.  Sometimes it is the simplest things: clean connections, replace broken switch, etc.

If you are disconnecting the battery cable often (like me), you can use a battery disconnect between the negative/minus post of the battery and your negative battery cable.  I use this one: LIttelFuse ATD300BP battery disconnect.

OReilly Auto sells it:
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123