Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Off-Topic area
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

HUGE RECALL- Harbor Freight Jack Stands

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IRQVET Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: HUGE RECALL- Harbor Freight Jack Stands
    Posted: 20 May 2020 at 1:07am

IMPORTANT SAFETY RECALL NOTICE

May 19, 2020

NHTSA Campaign I.D. Numbers: 20E-016 and 20E-027

Dear Sir or Madam,

This notice is sent to you in accordance with the requirements of the National Traffic and Motor Vehicle Safety Act. 

Harbor Freight Tools (“HFT”) has decided that a defect which relates to motor vehicle safety may exist in certain Pittsburgh Automotive 3 Ton Heavy Duty Steel Jack Stands (models 61196 or 56371) and 6 Ton Heavy Duty Steel Jack Stands (model 61197). Our records reflect that you purchased at least one of these pairs of Jack Stands.  

What is the Condition?

For certain units of the Pittsburgh Automotive 3 Ton and 6 Ton Heavy Duty Steel Jack Stands there is a potential, while under load and with a shift in weight, for the pawl to disengage from the extension lifting post, allowing the stand to drop suddenly. This condition could cause serious injury for people near or under a lifted vehicle, and/or damage to property. As a precautionary measure, we request that you discontinue use of the jack stand(s) identified below immediately.  

Jack Stands included in this recall campaign include:

Item Number

Item Description

Sale Date Range

Pittsburgh Automotive 3 Ton Heavy Duty Steel Jack Stand

January 2013 to March 2020

Pittsburgh Automotive 3 Ton Heavy Duty Steel Jack Stand

March 2020 to April 2020

Pittsburgh Automotive 6 Ton Heavy Duty Steel Jack Stand

June 2013 to March 2020

No other Item Numbers are involved in this recall. The 61196 and 61197 jack stands can be identified by checking the item number found on the yellow part of the label on the base of each jack stand.

The 56371 jack stands can be identified by checking the item number found on the label on the top of each jack stand. 

What will Harbor Freight Tools do?

To all customers who participate in the Recall by returning their pairs of 3 Ton or 6 Ton Jack Stands item numbers 56371, 61196, and/or 61197, Harbor Freight Tools will provide a gift card equal to the retail price of the jack stands you originally purchased. Along with providing the gift card equal to the retail price of the jack stands you originally purchased, Harbor Freight Tools is providing a 20% one-time use coupon; see bottom of this notification. This coupon may be used toward the purchase of new jack stands, or toward the purchase of any other item in the store not subject to the coupon limitations. To use, customers must hand the coupon to the store cashier to scan.

What should you do?

Following the lifting of any applicable “Shelter At Home Orders”, please bring your 3 Ton and/or 6 Ton Heavy Duty Steel Jack Stands, item numbers 56371, 61196, or 61197, to your local Harbor Freight Tools store to receive a Harbor Freight Tools gift card equal to the retail price of the jack stands you originally purchased (plus applicable tax).  You do NOT need to provide a receipt; you only need to return your pair of Jack Stands.  Directions to your nearest Harbor Freight Tools store can be found on our website at www.harborfreight.com.  

Customer Service Help:

If you believe that you returned your jack stands and the store failed to provide you with a gift card within a reasonable period of time, please contact:

Recalls@HarborFreight.com

Harbor Freight Tools
Attn: Customer Service 
P.O. Box 6010 
Camarillo, CA 93011-6010 
800-444-3353

If you still believe that HFT failed to remedy the issue described above without charge and within 60 days of the date of this notice, you may file a complaint with:

Administrator, National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, 
1200 New Jersey Avenue SE, 
Washington, DC 20590 

Or call the toll free Vehicle Safety Hotline at 1-888-327-4236 (TTY: 1-800-424-9153) or go to http://www.safercar.gov

Thank you for being a Harbor Freight Tools customer.

We regret this inconvenience but hope you understand that our concern for your safety is paramount. 

Sincerely,

Harbor Freight Tools

20% off Coupon

Edited by IRQVET - 20 May 2020 at 1:10am
Dean
Operation Iraqi Freedom Veteran
49' CJ2A w/ GPA Engine #8924
67 CJ5 (Sold)
RICKG View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RICKG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2020 at 1:45am
HF is bein real generous don't ya think? A gift card for more of their quality merchandise and a 20% off coupon just in case you aint had enough of it..
I never met a mule I didn't like!
MC51986 "OD MULE" DOD 01-52
'50 CJ3A "Bucksnort".
Keep 'em Rollin'
3-48s View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3-48s Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2020 at 1:46am
More quality products from China?
1945 CJ2A #10536
1948 CJ2A #176528 "Elmer"
1948 CJ2A #155970 "Gray Mule"
1948 CJ2A #155365 "Old Yeller" (GONE)
BANTAM T3C # 6147 (GONE)
BANTAM T3C # 30856
RICKG View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RICKG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2020 at 2:04am
Originally posted by 3-48s 3-48s wrote:

More quality products from China?

'50 CJ3A "Bucksnort".
Keep 'em Rollin'
Oilleaker1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oilleaker1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2020 at 11:16am
As long as you leave them all the way down you are fine! Then stack wood under them or---------just used wood blocks. Duh. Thanks for the heads up, I don't own them anyway. I did think about them once. Glad I passed. Oilly
Green Disease, Jeeps, Old Iron!
Anvil View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Anvil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2020 at 3:34pm
I don't subscribe to the belief that craftsmanship has geographical boundaries.  Junk is junk and it's junk because some company's goal was to sell junk at a profit.  Enter Harbor Freight, et al.  If some company instead wanted to sell the best jack stands ever made, they could still be made in China.

It's funny because even though I always thought it would be, of all the folks that blatantly stole designs or intellectual property from me, it was never the Chinese.  Part of my cultural programming, I guess.  It was always other Americans or Russians and it was a close race between those two.

I'm generally against supporting and enabling the Horrible Frights of the world with my money, but I completely savvy that sometimes circumstances demand it.
A good anvil does not fear the hammer.

Instagram
TXtea View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TXtea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2020 at 3:37pm
Well I'm returning 6 of my 8... Including the 2 6-Tons currently holding up the front of the Jeep.
Ryan
'48 CJ2A SN: 161039
Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2020 at 6:47pm
Originally posted by RICKG RICKG wrote:

HF is bein real generous don't ya think? A gift card for more of their quality merchandise and a 20% off coupon just in case you aint had enough of it..

Compared to most automotive recalls it seams like they are right on top of it. Most automotive recalls your lucky if you ever find out your car is subject to a recall. Unless its in the news.

Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
Late 50's 134L 9.25"clutch T90A D18 (1.25") D44/30 flanged E-Locker D25 5.38 Since 1962
IRQVET View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IRQVET Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2020 at 9:39pm
A full refund on a gift card (and/or) complete exchange, and a 20% off coupon.

Could be worse IMHO. 

I have to return all 4 of my jack stands as they are all part of this recall. Just wanted to pass along the info because I wanted everyone to be safe. 

Edited by IRQVET - 20 May 2020 at 10:04pm
Dean
67 CJ5 (Sold)
cpt logger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cpt logger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2020 at 12:39am
I buy all of them I see at yard sales. They go directly into my scrap pile. Those thing are flat out dangerous!

Personally, I use wooden blocks, or a set with a 1/2" steel pin. I prefer the wood. I also have two sets under the rig. I have been called paranoid. I call it careful.

I just copied & pasted this from the other thread about this in the "General Discussion" area.

Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2020 at 12:42am
The recall aside I personally get so tired of the constant bashing Harbor Freight We don't bash Walcks or Kaiser Willys for selling Omix-IDA parts we crap on the parts.

I use stuff from Harbor Freight Would I have liked to have been able to afford a $500 HVLP spray gun to paint CHUG most likely Was spending less then $50 on two guns that did a damn fine job for whats essentially a first time paint job YES And aside from Painting my hard top when done and my off road trailer I doubt I will ever use them again. Do the little Stubby combo wrenches turn nuts and bolts as well as the couple Snap-on wrenches I have YES. Did the 4) $19 angle grinders do a tremendous amount of work before I tossed them YEP etc.

They are what they are not everyone needs every tool to be Professional Quality or PRICE.

Did a few or the Thousands and Thousands of Jack stands fail did some people get hurt YES and thats a BAD thing you can bet the courts are seeing to it the AMERICAN co. Harbor Freight is going to pay for it. And they are doing the right thing with this recall.

Unlike say Remington another US Company who for decades hid their faulty triggers until lawsuits brought it to the public's attention.

I know I might sound like some kind of champion for HF I am not I am just tired of on a dozen different forums people who say they would never buy from them telling everyone how bad the stuff is. Obviously they have no experience after all they would never buy from them.
Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
Late 50's 134L 9.25"clutch T90A D18 (1.25") D44/30 flanged E-Locker D25 5.38 Since 1962
47 deuce alpha View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 47 deuce alpha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2020 at 3:26am
I have to agree with you Mark W. I buy quite a lot of stuff from Harbor Freight, don't seem to have much problem with most of it.
I really have to wonder if some of the problems with the jack stands was not user error such as poor position and failure to use a back up support. The recall did state "under load and with a shift in weight". Almost any jack might fail with a shift in load. The old hi-lift jack was probably one of the most dangerous ever invented.       
1947 CJ2A 90419
1947 CJ2A 127735
1949 Ford 8N
1955 Kaiser Willys Pickup
Half the distance takes you twice as long.
RICKG View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RICKG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2020 at 3:32am

Agreed fellows, I have purchased my share of cheap tools @ HF, particularly if I know it's a single use item- and I've got a box of "free with any purchase" led flashlites to prove it!
'50 CJ3A "Bucksnort".
Keep 'em Rollin'
ndnchf View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ndnchf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2020 at 11:03pm
It should be noted that not ALL Harbor Freight jack stands are defective. Its just the specific item numbers listed. They have sold many different jack stands over the last 30 years. Many are still in service and safe to use. 
1948 CJ2A - It goes nowhere fast, but anywhere slow.
Ol' Unreliable View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2020 at 1:59am

I've got a box of "free with any purchase" led flashlites to prove it!

I managed to acquire a number of those when they were free without a purchase required.  A bud picked up about 21 of those freebies. 

As for the High Lift jack, one of those type jacks (not the brand, I couldn't afford the name) once slipped out from under Ol' Unreliable and took out a 2-liter bottle of Pepsi.  It sprayed all over the garage and it took quite a while to clean it all up.  Ouch
There's a reason it's called Ol' Unreliable
JeepFever View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JeepFever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2020 at 4:11am
Originally posted by Ol' Unreliable Ol' Unreliable wrote:

As for the High Lift jack, one of those type jacks (not the brand, I couldn't afford the name) once slipped out from under Ol' Unreliable and took out a 2-liter bottle of Pepsi.  It sprayed all over the garage and it took quite a while to clean it all up.  Ouch

Good thing that was not one of your body parts Shocked . .  but begs the question . .  what was a 2-liter bottle of Pepsi doing under your Jeep?  LOL    
Ol' Unreliable View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2020 at 6:09am
I didn't have room in the house for about 20 Pepsi bottles.  They were in the garage against the wall in front of the Jeep and the jack slipped out toward the wall at an angle.  I was jacking it up by the front bumper.  The floor is pretty smooth and painted, so kinda slippery.  I now have a hydraulic floor jack for use in the garage.  The high-lift is for outside use. 

BTW, I was able to salvage over half of that 2-liter bottle.  I have been a Pepsi junkie for 48 years now.  Smile
There's a reason it's called Ol' Unreliable
IRQVET View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IRQVET Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2020 at 10:23pm
Too funny not to share . . .

Dean
67 CJ5 (Sold)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>