Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Research & History
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Significance of light blue engine block?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author

Sponsor Member x 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2020 at 12:39pm
Originally posted by shadow shadow wrote:

the engine I have was painted the light blue / teal or what I found as a close match was International Harvester Sky blue, this I think was linked to being rebuilt or modified at factory up in Canada

That is an interesting tag. Does the engine have a serial number stamped on the water pump boss?
shadow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shadow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 June 2020 at 6:00am
I looked at the boss over the water pump but could not see any stamping so far, I will keep looking, I also need to review my photos to see if I took any pic of the block when I was going through it.
lets go for a rip eh bud

Andy
TBone73 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TBone73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct. 2020 at 10:03pm
Hi Guys,

Got my engine out a month a go.. About to put it back in, but I snapped a couple of photos! Anyone tell me anything about this engine??

Restored 1946 CJ-2A
Mooresville, NC
Oldpappy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oldpappy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec. 2020 at 8:24pm
 It is what happens when women describe colors. I had a hotrod 66 Ford truck back in the 80s, and a woman who worked with me was always asking me to sell it to her. It was light blue and white, which she called "Cornflower Blue" and "cream".

There is a running joke between me and my wife about what the names of colors would be if men started coming up with them, which we already do but don't want to admit it. Else where did "Baby Sh!T Yellow" or "Puke Green" come from?

I miss the way Sears used to be, where you could get just about anything you would ever need. We don't have any stores like that anymore.
If you can't get there in a Jeep you don't need to be there!
19Cargo42 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 19Cargo42 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec. 2020 at 10:20pm
"We don't have any stores like that anymore."

I bought a lot of stuff at Sears or through the catalog, and agree with that.

However, we do have the internet, which has been a huge help in locating parts. I remember going through Hemmings and then mailing my "wanted" list to vendors to see what they had. 

And yes, I walked to school uphill, both ways, in snow. (My God, I've become an old fart!)

John
Oldpappy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oldpappy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec. 2020 at 7:12pm
The huge catalogs would come in the mail each year from Sears, JC Penny, and Montgomery Ward. All us kids would look through those catalogs and circle things we wanted knowing Dad would look through them too, and if we were lucky he might order one of the things we wanted for Christmas time, but more often we got new shoes and flannel shirts.

If you can't get there in a Jeep you don't need to be there!
cjbilly View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cjbilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec. 2020 at 7:37pm
Speaking of Sears catalogs, the Jeep catalog was my favorite before I owned my first one.
Awww.... great memories. Now we own 2 of these catalogs. Thumbs Up

1984 CJ7
1946 CJ2A- Supersonic motor
1948 CJ2A- Ramsey DP-1 shifter,PTO,front Ramsey MX200-R winch, Newgren lift
1955 Sears Trailer
1955 CJ5- PTO/belt drive,farm weight
1954 CJ3B- trencher,front blade
Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec. 2020 at 10:50pm
I have a Sears and Montgomery Wards Jeep catalog. Both were dads. I want to say right around 1970.
Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
Late 50's 134L 9.25"clutch T90A D18 (1.25") D44/30 flanged E-Locker D25 5.38 Since 1962
drm101 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote drm101 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec. 2020 at 5:40pm
My Mom retired from Sears and my brother and I both worked there in the summer when we were in college. I worked at a Sears repair center in Kalamazoo and also the Sears repair center in Pontiac, MI. In Pontiac, there was a tech who had been repairing lawn equipment for 30 years. Working with him I learned 2 things:
1. You can be smart and a good student, but there is no replacement for experience. 
2. Some people, even though they fix lawn mowers at Sears, are the smartest people you will ever meet and you will never, no matter what, ever be as smart as them, and I need to do the best I can with what I have.  
Dean
'47 CJ2A "Ron"
'66 CJ5 "Buckie"
The less the Power the More the Force
Barry S View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barry S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec. 2020 at 11:46pm
Right on drm101!  My Dad was a Sears repairman at the Mentor Ohio service center for 36 years.  I don't think there was anything he couldn't figure out how to fix or build.  I've spent my whole life trying to be like him.  Sears has always been a big part of our family's life.  I'm sad that Dad and Sears are both gone. (Sorry to take this thread off track.)
1947 CJ2A 93664 "Grasshopper"
1947 CJ2A 90729
194? CJ2A 04893/194304
1946 CJ2A 46745
1946 CJ2A 36723
1945 MB   413665
1971 CJ5 8305017 375392 Drive train parts donor
Bantam Trailer T3-C 25487
Bill Norris View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill Norris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec. 2020 at 6:02pm
Not sure of this helps at all, but after the war, the Wilson Foundry bought back blocks from the military to recondition them and turn around and sell to the public. They sold 1,000 to Sears in 1946 alone. I have no idea if they painted them or not.

Bill
Holy Toledo! Jeep Calendars and the Dispatcher Jeep magazine

http://dispatchermagazine.com
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12