Forum Home Forum Home > Buying, Selling or Trading > Wanted to Buy
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Postal service Jeep parts?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BD1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Postal service Jeep parts?
    Posted: 22 May 2020 at 6:09pm
I have a 153 in my CJ2a and I need a radiator, motor mounts and I'd like to buy intake and exhaust manifolds and an oil pan as well.
The postal Jeeps had 153s in them as well so the radiator should be configured high drivers side, low passenger side like the one in my jeep currently. Mine has been patched up in multiple paces with some kind of miracle goo, (JB weld maybe?) which makes it a PITA to re-repair. I'd need a rear sump oil pan. I don't know if the postal jeeps had rear sumps or not. I thin they were two wheel drive with two speed automatics.
BD
'47 CJ2a, Shiny on top!
'55 CJ5 project
BD1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BD1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2020 at 6:21pm
The parts I can use would be from a pre-1971 DJ-5, although later radiators might work as well.
BD
'47 CJ2a, Shiny on top!
'55 CJ5 project
otto View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote otto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2020 at 8:50pm
Those engines appeared in forklifts and boats so don’t overlook those possible sources. Good luck!
47 CJ2A w/fuel injected boat engine
48 CJ2A
64 Ford Econoline Travelwagon
If you can't get there in a Jeep, get a motorcycle!
BD1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BD1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2020 at 12:34am
I've looked at the Mercruiser 120's, The heads are usable, but not the manifolds, and of course boats don't have radiators and the motor mounts are completely different. Oil pans are front sump. The forklifts have radiators particular to their application, (many of them are set up to also cool the hydraulic fluid). and manifolds that are even more restrictive than the stock chevy automobile style.  Oddly enough a 153 in a Chevy II Nova produced 90 HP and maxed out at 3,000 rpm.  The 153 in the Mercruiser produced 120 HP and was designed to run all day at 4,000 rpm and above, while the forklifts produce around 60 HP and are typically governed to 2,000 rpm.  What I really need is a three row radiator that fits in the CJ2a with the drivers upper left and passengers lower right configuration, a rear sump oil pan, and an intake manifold to play around with to mount a two barrel carb.  Some original automotive motor mounts, (the engine side), would also be a big help. The motor mounts in shiny are poor examples of backyard engineering. Among other things the drivers side motor mount passes through the fan belt. Yes, I have to unbolt that mount, and loosen the passenger side mount, and jack up the engine to change the fan belt.
BD
'47 CJ2a, Shiny on top!
'55 CJ5 project
otto View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote otto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2020 at 2:41am
You have stated the only downside to putting the Chevy based 4 cyl in a jeep, finding those hard to obtain parts. I mentioned the boat and forklift angle because sometimes you can get lucky and find what you're looking for. OMC engines sometimes have a center sump oil pan while most all the Mercs have a front sump. I just happened to luck out and find a dead 153 that had the manifolds and the pan. Recently the exhaust manifold cracked badly and I had to fabricate one for my jeep's Mercruiser 3.0L. Check out my build, there may be some ideas for you. I fabricated motor mounts for my installation and have only seen a few photos of the Chevy ll/DJ mounts; if I recall the left one combines with the alternator bracket. There is also quite a discussion over on the HAMB, search for "Mercruiser".

47 CJ2A w/fuel injected boat engine
48 CJ2A
64 Ford Econoline Travelwagon
If you can't get there in a Jeep, get a motorcycle!
gunner View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gunner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2020 at 7:12pm
I have a few of those engines and a '70 DJ with one in it.

The motor mounts- you are best off fabricating your own set up. The DJ mounts are sort of incorporated into a crossmember that runs under the forward part of the oil pan. They could get away with that since it was a 2 wheel drive vehicle, ie, no front driveshaft to worry about. Making mounts is no big deal but it may take a bit of research and head scratching along with a few tries to get it right. As far as I can tell after some research, you can't buy motor mounts for the 153- just something not made anymore.

As for radiators, the 153 is a Chevy so they all had driver inlet and pass outlet of the same size. Try an outfit like summit racing- they have a means of specifying radiator dimensions to narrow down the search.

The marine 120 had a 2 barrel Rochester 2G carb on them to get that extra horsepower. 

Otto brings up good points. That exhaust manifold is pretty lightweight- not very hefty at all and they take a beating over the years.  Marine manifolds are useless for a street rig. I may have a manifold set available along with an oil pan. PM me

Edited by gunner - 23 May 2020 at 7:16pm
 Post Reply Post Reply