Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Tech Questions and Answers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Missing Bell Crank

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fullgarage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Missing Bell Crank
    Posted: 23 May 2020 at 12:42am
I am attempting to reassemble a 1948 CJ-2a that I acquired mostly in boxes.  Most of the parts are here, but the steering bellcrank is missing.  I understand it should be the one with the ball pointing down, and that crank cost like $300.  The upward pointing one is $80.  I need to buy the rebuild kit for the bell crank frame mount anyway and I need the kit to rebuild my drag link, so is it possible to convert the steering to the newer style bell crank?  I am hoping I just buy the replacement pin kit, the drag link and the bell crank and it should bolt up and work with the rest of my steering components.  Can anyone confirm?  this would be like $200 cheaper if it works.  
NCtoy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NCtoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2020 at 2:40am
I think the pins are different diameters, and use a different mount on the crossmember. If that’s the case you would also have to change out the mount. 
You should be able to find a used bellcrank. Put an ad in the wanted section. 
Sdhharmon575 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sdhharmon575 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2020 at 4:14am
If your bellcrank pin on frame mount is a 3/4" pin.Then you would need the bellcrank that points down.(high priced one)The bellcrank that turns up(cheaper priced one) uses a 7/8" pin. So check your pin size & I believe that will tell you which bellcrank you need.
 Post Reply Post Reply