Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

getting close to having to chose. HELP

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: getting close to having to chose. HELP
    Posted: 30 May 2020 at 11:46pm
So some time this summer I need to scare up insurance and registration for CHUG. I have a bunch of choices for License plates. I can buy

Std plates(so called tree plates) https://www.oregon.gov/odot/DMV/docs/Regular_Plates.pdf#page=1  ; Cost $24.50

$124.50

Theres about a dozen other choices but nothing I am interested. I'm also not interested in any of the Special Purpose or antique plates as in Oregon they all come with some stupid restrictions like only limited uses for the vehicle.

All of the above will also include an additional $122 cause they will rate it getting less then 20mpg (better mileage cost more LOL)

I would really like the Pacific Wonderland plates as that is closest to what CHUG had when I drove it in High School (they won't allow me to register those plates any more). so basically an additional $100 for the plates the bi annual registration is the same once you have the plate.

And then I have to figure out the insurance options I want Agreed Value of $18,000.00 so I'll have to shop around. I also don't want any limitations on where I can go with it. I'm fine if they don't cover Off road stuff.

WHAT FUN ......................................NOT
Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
Late 50's 134L 9.25"clutch T90A D18 (1.25") D44/30 flanged E-Locker D25 5.38 Since 1962
DMusil View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMusil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2020 at 3:39am
In Wisconsin it now is $200.00 for the first vehicle. Then $150.00 for all the rest. 
I think there is only one month you can't drive on the roads. That's the last time you pay for registration.
I have Hagerty with agreed value.
DMusil
Ducati Rod View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ducati Rod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2020 at 12:37pm
             I had a Model A Ford in high school, and even with the extra high insurance for a young kid I pay more today. The insurance is about the same because of inflation, but the registration is crazy high, and I see no legitimate excuse for that, so I would take the least expensive. I'm just so sick of these "officials" that are supposed to be serving the people, emptying our pockets while glorifying themselves and their job.
jeeper50 View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeeper50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2020 at 1:18pm
I would just get the standard plate, unless you plan on moving it up from the stock location, as it will get dinged and bent during your travels bolted to the rear crossmember. 

Belleview ol skool winch soon.
'48 CJ2A 283 V8 sm 420 granny low, tera low D18, overdrive,lockers

Texan at heart,Alabama by retirement

SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2020 at 2:38pm
I got the standard 12M truck plate like I have for the last 50+ years. I don't want anyone (the state) placing restrictions on what I can do with my vehicle.

Edited by SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A - 31 May 2020 at 4:00pm
46 CJ-2A #64462 "Ol' Red" (bought April 1969)(second owner)(12 V, 11" brakes, M-38 frame, MD Juan tub)

U.S. Coast Guard Chief Petty Officer(ret.)
U.S. Army Vietnam veteran and damned proud of it.

rocnroll View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocnroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2020 at 3:47pm
Originally posted by SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A wrote:

....I don't want anyone placing restrictions on what I can do with my vehicle.

But they aren't really doing that.....they are putting restrictions on what they will pay you for in case something happens.

As long as there is no accidents you are free to do whatever you want with it.

'47 CJ2A PU
'48 CJ2A Lefty

"Common sense is not that common"
Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2020 at 3:59pm
Originally posted by rocnroll rocnroll wrote:

....I don't want anyone placing restrictions on what I can do with my vehicle.

But they aren't really doing that.....they are putting restrictions on what they will pay you for in case something happens.

As long as there is no accidents you are free to do whatever you want with it.

I am referring to the State of Kansas. I don't want the State of Kansas telling me that I can only drive locally or only in parades. Perhaps I wasn't clear...

...the insurance I have doesn't restrict me at all. In case something happens to Ol' Red, they pay me an agreed on amount. They also cover any liability that I have up to a certain minimum that the state says I have to have to drive on public roads.
46 CJ-2A #64462 "Ol' Red" (bought April 1969)(second owner)(12 V, 11" brakes, M-38 frame, MD Juan tub)

Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2020 at 4:42pm
Yea I do worry about the plate getting messed up. I have the plates that were on CHUG when I drove it like it was a rental back in High school and they are still in pretty good shape. One of them has corner missing. I actually most worried about how/where to mount the front plate. With the Fog lights mounted where they are the CJ3A/CJ5 style of mount with the little T stand on the right Frame horn most likely won't work out. And as I want to put a Winch on CHUG later a bumper mount might be a problem. I'll get to that when I get there I guess.

Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
Late 50's 134L 9.25"clutch T90A D18 (1.25") D44/30 flanged E-Locker D25 5.38 Since 1962
rocnroll View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocnroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2020 at 5:25pm

I am referring to the State of Kansas. Perhaps I wasn't clear...

You probably were....just a misinterpretation on my part...you were talking tags, I was thinking insurance.

'47 CJ2A PU
'48 CJ2A Lefty

"Common sense is not that common"
Bruce W View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2020 at 8:00pm
 Angry Kalorado charges extra for every plate that is not “normal”. Even the plates they offer to “thank” people like veterans, firefighters, LEO’s, etc, the charge extra, and it’s not a one-time fee, either. You pay it every year. They can put all of them where sunshine will never get on them. I run the “regular” plates. I could get “antique” or “collector” or “horseless carriage” plates but you pay for them 5 years at a time, they’re ugly, and you’re not supposed to drive except to & from shows and in parades, etc. Again, they can put them where sunlight will not get on them. 
BW 
It is NOT a Jeep Willys! It is a Willys jeep.

Happy Trails! Good-bye, Good Luck, and May the Good Lord Take a Likin' to You!

We Have Miles to Jeep, Before We Sleep.
Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2020 at 9:26pm
Yea I am pretty sure I will end up with Oregon Tree Plates unless I happen to get some unexpected money right before I buy the plates then I might get the Pacific Wonderland plates I really like the Blue Field with Yellow letters Here you buy the plates once then every two years pay for the tags.
Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2020 at 10:03pm
Kansas doesn't have front plates except for vanity plates. The vanity plates they just started issuing this year are butt ugly.

duffer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote duffer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2020 at 10:28pm
Originally posted by Mark W. Mark W. wrote:

Yea I do worry about the plate getting messed up. I have the plates that were on CHUG when I drove it like it was a rental back in High school and they are still in pretty good shape. One of them has corner missing. I actually most worried about how/where to mount the front plate. With the Fog lights mounted where they are the CJ3A/CJ5 style of mount with the little T stand on the right Frame horn most likely won't work out. And as I want to put a Winch on CHUG later a bumper mount might be a problem. I'll get to that when I get there I guess.

I'm facing the same quandary with my 3B front plate.  No real estate left on the front bumper for the plate-at least real estate that isn't going to restrict radiator air flow.  I'm going to try a below bumper spring loaded mount where I can actually lock the plate up when off-road.

15 to 20 years back Montana made permanent plates available for any vehicle over 10 years old.  One of the best things they have ever done.  You can also pick through the plate styles for close to 20 years back for no "up charge".  At least one of those was pretty attractive.
1955 3B: 441sbc,AGE 4 speed transmission, Teralow D18w/Warn OD, 4.11:1 D44's/ARB's, glass tub & fenders, aluminum hood/grill, 8274, York OBA, Premier Power Welder; 67 CJ5: 225,T86AA, D18, 4.88's, OD
TateC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TateC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2020 at 11:32pm
I guess we are lucky here in Utah that for vintage vehicle plates it’s only $10 dollars a year with no real restrictions. 
Tate Christensen
1941 Ford GP #9687
1943 Willys MB #263100
1944 Ford GPW #234613
1945 Willys CJ2A #10226
IRQVET View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IRQVET Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 June 2020 at 1:38am
Oregon has the new Smokey Bear plate, not on your list but that's what I'd suggest. 

Dean
Operation Iraqi Freedom Veteran
49' CJ2A w/ GPA Engine #8924
67 CJ5 (Sold)
jeeper50 View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeeper50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 June 2020 at 2:49am
Holy cow what happens when that gets a dink, Mark!!!

Belleview ol skool winch soon.
'48 CJ2A 283 V8 sm 420 granny low, tera low D18, overdrive,lockers

Texan at heart,Alabama by retirement

Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 June 2020 at 3:33am
Patina happens. I would hope it starts happening after I have it finished.

Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
WillysWally View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WillysWally Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 June 2020 at 3:45am
Good Evening folks:

Here in Pennsylvania you can go several different ways.  Some times it is just easier, simpler and faster to put regular license plates on them.  You do have to install seat belts and turn signals if you want to go that way.  If you go that route, there aren't any official restrictions.  Drive it wherever and whenever you like.  You can also go Classic or Antique.  In these two cases there are varying restrictions. 

The Antique category has two options.  For a one time $81 fee you get a permanent registration with a current, state issued Antique plate.  For another, one time $81 fee, an original, regular plate from the year shown on the title can be permanently re-registered as well.  While PA has the typical, can only be driven in parades or to and from shows/events, it also includes a provision for "occasional use"  When you ask PA's finest what "occasional use" means, I have always been told driving it once a week, to or from work, church, shopping, etc.  So there is some flexibility here.  The point of occasional use is to allow them to be driven as a part of the maintenance and upkeep of the vehicle.  As we all know, if you dont use it from time to time you eventually loose it.  While I dont have any specific knowledge about other states, I would suspect that the other states might have similar allowances if you dig deeper into the regulations.

We have been members of a camp located in the Susquehanock State Forest in Clinton and Potter Counties in North Central PA for the past 30 years.  One of our "occasional uses" is to take one or more rigs to camp 4-5 weekends per year for some trail riding down the Forest Service back roads -- tops off, uh thats vehicle canvastops, that is, and windshields down!!!  Our mantra for those weekends is: Sleep-Eat-jeep-Sleep(afternoon nap!)-Eat-Sleep-Eat-jeep-ad infanauseum!  Hey -- I mean that is real R & R!!!

Although there is a restriction on night driving with Antique plates or registrations, for some events my wife and I attend this is somewhat problematic.  Some events are a wee bit longer than others.  A 3,000 mile trek across the country is often the event.  We are also active participants in the MVPA's Cross Country - History In Motion program, having participated in 4 or 5 of these long distance convoys.  Due to the nature of these events there are times when getting to and from the daily rally points occasionally requires driving after dark.

Through out the past 30 years I have never been stopped and challenged on my use of any of the jeeps and WC's we have driven over the years.  On the few times where I went through various law enforcement checkpoints they were more interested in how cool the rigs were and wanted to know information about the vehicles than they were about anything else.  Some time ago, obviously during better times, I actually had the pleasure of hosting 4 of Pennsylvania's finest, in uniform, for a short briefing and tour of my shop.   

What my law enforcement friends have told me in the past was that they were mostly interested in people abusing the antique plate privileges.  They could really care less about someone driving an antique registered vehicle a couple of times a month around the community.  On the other hand someone using it as a daily driver taking it to work every day, would eventually draw their attention and probably cause them to force the issue.  I realize that each community may have a differing philosophies about this, but the folks in this area seem to like having and seeing these vehicles out and about within limits.

Regards,

Walter

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>