Forum Home Forum Home > Bantam Trailer - Discussion - For Sale - Wanted > Bantam Trailer - Tech Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Bantam t3c sheet metal thickness

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kingcj2a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Bantam t3c sheet metal thickness
    Posted: 07 June 2020 at 7:45pm
I am in the process of replacing the floor in my bantam trailer. I have the tub removed, old floor was cut out and everything was sandblasted. When I picked it up from the sandblaster I now have holes along the sides where the sides and floor were welded together.   Does anyone know the sheet metal thickness in the sies? Were the sides welded with a spit welder or were they plug welded from the factory?
Rus Curtis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rus Curtis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 June 2020 at 8:50pm
The T-3C is the civilian version of the T-3.  The manual covering that trailer is TM-10-1281.  Everything there (with the exception of specific military parts) is good for reference.

Copied directly from the Body section, pg 22:

" The body is of all steel construction and welded into one unit with the frame side rails.  The box panels are all of 18 gauge steel strengthened with 16 gauge, 1" O.D. welded tubular frame around the top of the box.  All panels have wide welding flanges which strengthen the box and provide large welding and sealing surfaces.  They are reinforced with webs for further strength.  The box is water tight and will float the vehicle when loaded with a 500 pound load.  The water line is 12 inches above the box floor."
Rus Curtis
Alabama
1954 CJ3B
Bantam T3-C
kingcj2a View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kingcj2a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 June 2020 at 5:19pm
Thanks Rus.

Factory spot welded floor to sides?
Rus Curtis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rus Curtis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 June 2020 at 5:33pm
First disclaimer: I'm not a welder so I may use incorrect terminology.

I recently cleared some floor space in my garage and can now get up close to my trailer tub.  These photos should be helpful with tub welding examples.

The tub sides/front seems to be welded to each other and to the floor using (resistance) spot welding.

This shows the spot welding of the front right edge between the side/front panels:

There are additional welds at the corners.

This shows the same row of spot welds near the rear just after the fender brackets (looking towards the rear):

Those additional welds to attach the body to the frame line up with the ribs.

When viewing the front of the tub, there is an L shaped reinforcement along the front panel hiding where the spot welds would be.  Since the attachment welds (below is right corner with matching left corner and one center) are present like the side panels, I assume the spot welds are also present along the floor/front panel seam:

You can see my body has all over pitting which will need to be fixed (skimmed I think), you can also see some separation from the sides and floor from crud and rust over the decades.  I suppose a pristine restoration would probably include separating these panels to correct all that.  I'm hoping to just get mine useable with a bit more paint on top of it all. 

Hope this helps

Added:  I just went back out and looked at what I took photos of.  I also looked inside the tub.  The sides have a lip folded inwards for the front panel to attach to using spot welds.  The floor also has a lip folded up to allow attachment to the front panel too with spot welds.

Edited by Rus Curtis - 08 June 2020 at 6:38pm
Rus Curtis
Alabama
1954 CJ3B
Bantam T3-C
kingcj2a View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kingcj2a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 June 2020 at 4:32am
This is exqctly what I was looking for. Thanks again for your help.
 Post Reply Post Reply