Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Your Jeep Project
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Qwaaazy8 CJ2A Build Thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
VermontOverland View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VermontOverland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Qwaaazy8 CJ2A Build Thread
    Posted: 01 Jan. 2021 at 7:08pm
Really slick EPAS system, thx. 
Peter Vollers
Carson Bradshaw View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carson Bradshaw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct. 2020 at 4:06am
ok thanks! i would love to get power steering in mine haha
jeep,cj2,48,V8,(Darwin)
pts211 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pts211 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct. 2020 at 5:41pm
Originally posted by Carson Bradshaw Carson Bradshaw wrote:

WOW! what a cool jeep. which ps system did you use and how much space did it take up?

You can find all the details of the power steering on my other thread: https://www.thecj2apage.com/forums/topic47630_post481850.html#481850

It tucks up nicely under the dash, I don't have any pictures at the moment but I believe there are some where you can see it above. It is inline with the steering column. I'll have to make sure to post more pictures of it now that it's installed and "done" next time I do an update!
Paul S - son of Ricco
1947 CJ2A - "Walker"

1948 CJ2A a.k.a. "Lumpy" (Dad's Jeep)
pts211 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pts211 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct. 2020 at 5:35pm
Originally posted by AKoller AKoller wrote:

Do you have an update for us on how things went at FCT? I'm really curious about the power steering setup. 

Things went GREAT at FCT. The power steering was amazing the entire time, the Jeep did well. My old rear leaf springs are kinda frowny, we lost a front shock mount + shock, broke the old rusty exhaust, and the transmission leaked (drained) throughout the days. Despite that that the Jeep went everywhere I wanted (including through Chinamans Gulch with no issue). 
Paul S - son of Ricco
1947 CJ2A - "Walker"

Bill2A View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill2A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct. 2020 at 4:34am
Great progress!
I wish I had that much energy.

Name suggestion: Bondo...
James Bondo. LOL
1946 CJ2A 14098
Carson Bradshaw View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carson Bradshaw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct. 2020 at 10:28pm
WOW! what a cool jeep. which ps system did you use and how much space did it take up?
jeep,cj2,48,V8,(Darwin)
AKoller View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AKoller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct. 2020 at 9:50pm
Do you have an update for us on how things went at FCT? I'm really curious about the power steering setup. 
1950 CJ3A "Thumper"
1966 M151 A1
1942 GPW #70221
BradR View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BradR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug. 2020 at 4:13am
Well, I’m happy to report, the power steering is fantastic. I also got a chance to “test” the disk brakes while going 40 downhill towards a sudden red light. Paul was pleased we didn’t end up in the middle of the intersection. It was a great way to get me excited again for FCT. 
TateC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TateC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug. 2020 at 9:17pm
I always get excited when I see there is an update on this thread. I know it can be a pain to add photos and write suitable captions so thanks for taking the time to keep us posted. 
Tate Christensen
1941 Ford GP #9687
1943 Willys MB #263100
1944 Ford GPW #234613
1945 Willys CJ2A #10226
smfulle View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smfulle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug. 2020 at 5:01pm
Paul, this is  nice and amazing work. Your group has an interesting skill set that invites practical creativity. 
I don't think I would ever do it, but the power assist steering intrigues me. 
Andrew is a LARGE human. I know your size is not small and he makes you look like Paul Williams.

Stan
48 CJ2A (Grampa's Jeep)
59 Chevy 1/2 ton
Grampa's Jeep Build Thread
pts211 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pts211 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug. 2020 at 4:33pm
Another delayed update!

Fuel Pickup

I mentioned buying a new fuel tank and red-kote'ing it. Well the time finally came to install it and we needed to make sure we had fuel flow. Unfortunately, the coating I used clogged the pickup in the tank. We tried to fish it out but even when we were pretty sure the pickup was clear we still weren't getting much flow. We decided to just forget the stock tank pickup, we'd make our own.

Using some copper tube Andrew drilled some holes and we found a fitting that would work to put the tube up into the tank from the drain plug. 

Note, we drilled larger holes in it, I just forgot to take a picture after we did so. This sticks up about an inch or so in the tank. 

After replacing the fuel filter, the pickup, and hooking everything back up we were finally able to fire the Jeep back up!

Unfortunately, the Jeep wouldn't idle. Andrew and I investigated for an hour or two before the pro came to help us out. Dad took the cover off, had us mess with the few adjustments. We were able to make it a every so slightly better. 

Even though it still wouldn't idle, we just used my "cruise control" knob (dash throttle adjustment) to keep the engine running up so we could test it out.

First drive(s)!

My first drive after our rebuild.

You can see how much I struggled to get out of the ditch. It was clear that the motor still needed some tuning, I had nearly no power on acceleration, it would just try to sputter out and try to die.

Next up was the exciting one, Andrew's first turn at the wheel!

I should've seen it coming, but naturally when dad got to test drive it he went STRAIGHT for the empty lot across from me to try some non-pavement driving. LOL (Unfortunate I was riding shotgun and didn't get any good pictures of Dad's first drive). However, Andrew followed Dad up with his second drive being his own first "off-road" experience.

Brake Rub

We didn't drive it much, but we did drive it enough to heat the new disk brakes up for the first time. It was here we discovered we still had brake issues. Once they heated up they started to stay partially engaged again. We already had the brake pedal adjustment as far out as it would go so figured that was surely good. However, after some Googling we discovered our brake pedal was probably not being allowed to retract enough in the master cylinder to make use of a bypass valve. We pulled the pedal linkage out, cut it shorter, re-threaded, and re-installed. Hopefully that will take care of the brake issue.

Heating things UP

Having (hopefully) corrected the brakes we had some quality of life adjustments. Overall Andrew said he was comfortable driving, but he was still having to shift into his knee in reverse and especially 1st gear. We needed to tweak the shift levers just a little more. Conveniently this time we had a little more than my small MAP gas bottle. Andrew broke out his oxy acetylene torch which made the bending VERY quick work.

With the levers tweaked ever so slightly we started to button up a few other things and Andrew, Dustin, and I were ready to go grab dinner in the Jeep. Or so we thought...

Dumping Fuel

The three of us piled in with Andrew at the wheel. He fires it up and backs out of the drive. All three of us immediately catch a very large puddle following our path. We pop the hood to discover we were spewing gasoline everywhere. 

Maybe you guys have seen this before, but to us it was somewhat comical. Part of that was probably due to the fact that EVERY time we think we're ready to go something else rears its head. From it's inability to idle I already knew a carb rebuild was going to happen. I just thought maybe we could suffer for a few days with a bad carb and enjoy it. Guess not. We parked it to sit until I got the carb taken care of.

Carburetor Rebuild

Towards the end of last week I started to tear the carburetor apart knowing the rebuild kit was nearly here. It was definitely in need of some TLC.

I was able to get most of it taken care of. Over the weekend Andrew and I started putting it back together. We did have to get creative to remove the old rivets, and the idle well jet got stuck pretty good. Thankfully we were able to get it out with a screw extractor.

Andrew and I watched some of ScoutPilot's excellent videos about the carburetors and adjusted it. We were very pleased with how precisely we adjusted everything. Whether or not it's all correct for this carb, we don't know. But we are confident we nailed the standard specs.

By around noon on Saturday we had the carburetor ready to bolt back on to the Jeep.

After re-attaching it I was able to fire the Jeep right up. A few tweaks to our idle adjustments and it was running pretty well. Acceleration pump seems to be working decently well. For some reason it still has some trouble idling at times. And there might be a small dead spot in the throttle. These are all things we figure we'll asses as we drive it more and see if they are issues to address or not. I think for the most part Andrew and I are very much on the same page of : "does it run? -> if yes, let's just drive it!".

U-bolts

With it running, and after some driving around town we were feeling good. I wanted to go to a nearby lake that is currently doing a lot of construction and have a maiden voyage of off-road driving. Before I would ever let us take it to an off-road environment there was one thing on my mind. U-bolts. 

Perhaps my biggest take-away from Lumpy's adventure on the Rubicon was to CUT U-BOLTS DOWN! (seriously, it caused such a headache.)

Jeepin' time

With the ubolts cut down, and everything else in order it was time to head out. The lake was about 8 miles away. Neither Andrew or I were particularly worried, but our buddy James followed us in his truck for the long drive just in case. 

Overall it was a lot of construction road driving, Andrew did find a few haul-truck routes and some dirt/rock piles to play on. We made the drive out and back with no trouble. It was getting dark and my phone decided it best to blur every photo. So I don't have much from this adventure, but it was a success. 

The start of our adventure.

LIGHTS.
Our first drive did have head lights, and rear tail lights (no brake or turn though). So Sunday we spent some time finishing up lights. I've gotten really sloppy at taking pictures as we've wired, so apologies for the lack of media for that. 
One of the modern tweaks to the Jeep is all LED lights. Andrew gifted me the headlights, and we found some nice marker lights and tail lights to use. I don't have pictures of the front yet, but we were able to get the rear lights wired in and figured out the issue we were having with our turn signal relay to have brake, turn, and hazard lights too!

FINISHED?? Some reflection and thoughts
Like many Jeeps, I doubt this one will ever be "finished", but I think I'm currently at a major milestone. The Jeep is running and driving, stopping, and is street legal with working lights. I can't believe it has only been a few months. I think both Andrew and I, as well as my other friends feel like it has been SO much longer. It might not look like a lot has changed, but I hope this thread can help highlight just how much has happened. It was a LOT to bite off, but at this point I feel we just have some finishing touches - side steps, front turn signals, skid plate mounting, refinish the spare wheel and mount the tire, adjust the drivers seat, bondo/paint drivers side - okay, maybe more than I think. But if we had to leave for the Colorado Fall Colors Tour tomorrow, I think it'd be a capable Jeep.

In terms of the things that we've done. 
Disk Brakes - amazing. I know that drums - when adjusted - are just fine. Lumpy's are pretty good. However, it's very nice to know that I can be hard on these brakes and if I need to replace pads or rotors it's going to be pretty quick and easy to do. I don't have to worry about adjusting them as they wear, etc. 

Power Steering - LOVE. IT. So far everyone that has driven it has been wow'ed by the steering. In fact, the assist is a little too good at "high" speeds and it can be nice to just flip it off so the steering isn't as touchy. I can't wait to see how it holds up to off-road abuse.

Sliding seat - While we did that to accommodate Andrew and other tall humans I appreciate it as well. It's nice to be able to adjust to my liking.

Don't worry, there will still be updates as we work on the Jeep. I'm going to start to tackle the laundry list of remaining items. Only a few weeks left before CFFC!

Edited by pts211 - 25 Aug. 2020 at 5:09pm
Paul S - son of Ricco
1947 CJ2A - "Walker"

pts211 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pts211 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug. 2020 at 9:51pm
Wow, where has the time gone? I'm overdue for an update so here we go!

A little of this, a little of that

The last few weeks we've lost some steam as we've been busy with other things, but with a lot of the large ticket things wrapping up there have been a lot of small things to knock out. 

First up, new front springs and shocks. The front passenger spring was looking pretty flat - the rear appear okay - so for now I'm just replacing the front springs. 

Instead of pushing the old bushings out, and since we couldn't find any locally, we went to the robotics shop and made our own out of turcite plastic. 

With that done it was time to add some grease back into various components. It's clear cornhole grease isn't that popular anymore, so we went with Andrew's suggestion and just mixed our own with a tube of grease and some heavyweight oil.

Changing some bends
One of our list items was to modify the overdrive and shift levers to bend more towards the center/passenger of the Jeep to better accommodate the tall ones. Andrew took some map gas to the overdrive lever and had it bent in no time.

The main shift lever, being a lot beefier, took a little more heat to get to a bendable state. We pulled the lever off and heated it on a vice with multiple torches. A little bit of a cheater bar and we were able to get that situated nicely as well.

The body is back!
With that, we were finally ready to mate the body back to the frame. We ran to the shop and brought the tub home. 

We got the tub on without any issue, drilled a few of the mounts out in the new metal that we hadn't done yet, and bolted it on. Maple and Callie (my dog, Andrew's dog) cracked the whip and made sure we kept moving forward.

Clean Gas
As we've been bringing it all together the thought of a clogged fuel pickup plagued me at night. Now that my old fuel tank had been sitting mostly empty of fuel for at least a month it had started to rust again, and there was still sediment that I couldn't get out the first time floating around. I pulled the trigger and bought a new fuel tank. The second I received it I took it out back and used red-kote fuel tank sealer on the inside to (hopefully) prevent having any issues with this tank in the future. Overkill, maybe. But it's one less thing I should have to worry about in the future.

Touch Up Paint
There were a few areas that needed some touch up, or painting for the first time. I realized we forgot to paint the bottom metal of the toolbox, so I got to work and knocked that out. I also touched up the dash and floorboards so that we would be ready to add gauges and wiring without working in wet paint.

Light Preparation
By now I hope it's clear this will be a flat fender with some modern touches. One update is LED lights all around. Andrew is very passionate about vehicle lighting, doing it so it looks good, and doing it right - which is great because I'm very picky about wiring. So we hunted around and found lights - to be discussed more later.  The one that I needed to make work is our front marker lights/turn signals. We found some clear lens, amber marker lights that should work great but they are grommet mount.

I fired up the computer and made a simple press-in mount that we can bolt up to the grill. In an hour I had a physical mount ready to go for the markers to be mounted and wired up.

Power Steering Updates

Over this time progress has also been made on the EPAS, including our first power up! Go check out that update here: https://www.thecj2apage.com/forums/power-steering-its-electric_topic47630_post482884.html#482884

Paul S - son of Ricco
1947 CJ2A - "Walker"

rocnroll View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocnroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 July 2020 at 11:55pm
Originally posted by pts211 pts211 wrote:

To be honest, I hope you're right - seeing as it may be the case that we applied filler right over the new metal on the side. lol. Ermm 

I know I'm right about what's on my can LOL....but as long as your manufacturer's recommendation is the same, I'd say you are good.

'47 CJ2A PU
'48 CJ2A Lefty

"Common sense is not that common"
pts211 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pts211 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 July 2020 at 10:49pm
Originally posted by rocnroll rocnroll wrote:

Originally posted by IRQVET IRQVET wrote:

Bondo is not designed to be direct to metal (D2M).

I disagree......while this may be true of some newer fillers that state they are to be used over primer most I have used over the years gets best adhesion on bare metal.

Opinions differ......just use the manufacturers recommendation.

To be honest, I hope you're right - seeing as it may be the case that we applied filler right over the new metal on the side. lol. Ermm 

We followed the manufacturers rec, so I'm not too worried. But will keep in mind they aren't all created equal for future use.
Paul S - son of Ricco
1947 CJ2A - "Walker"

rocnroll View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocnroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 July 2020 at 9:30pm

Bondo is not designed to be direct to metal (D2M).

I disagree......while this may be true of some newer fillers that state they are to be used over primer most I have used over the years gets best adhesion on bare metal.

Bondo brand products (admittedly a cheaper variant of filler) actually state this in the instructions on the can.

Fillers are porous therefore do need to be sealed as soon as possible and shouldn't be exposed to moisture but I feel following the manufacturers instructions should keep you out of trouble.

Remove paint down to bare metal, rough the area with 36-40 grit, then apply filler.

If I had to guess I'd say the rust trouble mentioned would be when trying to work the area with wet sanding (introducing water into the porous filler) before being sealed/primed.

Opinions differ......just use the manufacturers recommendation.

'47 CJ2A PU
'48 CJ2A Lefty

"Common sense is not that common"
pts211 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pts211 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 July 2020 at 8:54pm

Bondo is not designed to be direct to metal (D2M). What happens is as the surfaces cures the underside remains moist. So as it rest's against the metal it begins to flash rust. Over time, under that new bodywork and shiny paint, rust is forming underneth. And as you know, rust never sleeps. This picture you uploaded shows exactly what happens over time. 

This why you have to use a primer/ sealer, and then stack your bodywork on top of that. Perfect example of what happens when you don't. You can sand those panels lazer straight, but eventually, that rust will creep through and your body filler and it will crack. Putting bondo directly onto metal is a ticking time bomb, either during your ownership, or your families if you decide to pass it on. . .

I do the same thing your doing. If I find rust, I cut it out and reweld in new metal. Then I seal it, and begin body work after that. Thumbs Up

I did not know that, thanks for that information!
Paul S - son of Ricco
1947 CJ2A - "Walker"

Tartone View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tartone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 July 2020 at 6:15pm
Awesome work, I’m super jealous of your helpful work crew.  Everything looks great!
Barry S View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barry S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 July 2020 at 2:00pm
Hey Paul!  Your doing an awesome job on your 2A!  Thanks for taking all the time to share your journey with us. You are definitely keeping me fired up while I'm working on mine! 

-Barry
1947 CJ2A 93664 "Grasshopper"
1947 CJ2A 90729
194? CJ2A 04893/194304
1946 CJ2A 46745
1946 CJ2A 36723
1945 MB   413665
1971 CJ5 8305017 375392 Drive train parts donor
Bantam Trailer T3-C 25487
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>