Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Wind shield tape

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TMRoper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Wind shield tape
    Posted: 30 June 2020 at 1:53pm
I finally bit the bullet and started working on windshield glass. Went to three different places 
1. $300.per pane (nope)
2.$75.per pane (not bad but I think I can do better 
3.$25.per pane (winner!)

So I have the glass ,restored two windshield frames((mb and cj2a) now what do I use to install?
Options- black silicone,glass tape or something else? While in the hardware store I found some black gorilla tape maybe?
 I thought the silicone was too messy, so I thought I would see how the gorilla tape fit. First layer was not enough so I put two layers on and it fit perfectly! All you have to do is trim all the excess off with a razor .So on the second jeep I thought I would try the glass tape, ( got it from obsolete ford parts Okc) well the results were not as good(it ripped the whole way down) so back to the gorilla tape, perfect!
So in closing, this community has been a tremendous help with my collection or fleet which ever you call it (9 Willys products from gpw, mb,cj2a 46, 47,47,47, 52,M-38,Willys pickup and another mb) so I thought I would share this. This worked for me ,looks good and is cheap, what more do you need.

Oldpappy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oldpappy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 June 2020 at 3:57pm
I recommend you never use silicone for this. I have one someone used black silicone to seal, a pane is broken, and it is a RPITA to get that stuff out.

I'll have to look for that gorilla tape. I have used the glass bedding tape, and old fashioned "Friction" tape for this, and like tape better than I do the rubber seals they sell which are almost always too thick.
If you can't get there in a Jeep you don't need to be there!
smfulle View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smfulle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 June 2020 at 5:48pm
Speaking from personal experience, if you put silicone down in the inner frame channel, the next time you need to change out a broken piece of glass it will be misery. 
After that experience I decided that I really only needed to seal the edge of the frame to the glass. So I put the glass in and bolted it down without sealer, then I ran a tiny bead along the edge if the frame ethereal it meets the glass and smooth it out with my finger. So far it has worked fine and I’m pretty sure I can get it out by running a blade along the edge.
Your milage may vary.
Stan
48 CJ2A (Grampa's Jeep)
59 Chevy 1/2 ton
Grampa's Jeep Build Thread
TateC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TateC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 June 2020 at 6:08pm
Where did you go for $25 dollar glass? 
Tate Christensen
1941 Ford GP #9687
1943 Willys MB #263100
1944 Ford GPW #234613
1945 Willys CJ2A #10226
Ol' Unreliable View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 July 2020 at 4:35am
If you do use silicone, just put it on the outside of the glass.  Putting it on the inside too will seal any moisture inside the inner frame and you won't like that.

Edited by Ol' Unreliable - 13 July 2020 at 12:07am
There's a reason it's called Ol' Unreliable
TMRoper View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TMRoper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 July 2020 at 12:58pm
I went to three different glass shops and got prices, the place where I found the best price was a small mom and pop glass store, they had some extra from a job, I think it’s called drop off. The first time I got enough for one jeep , then about a month later I stopped in to see if the had more, and they had enough for a second jeep. I guess when there is more competition the prices are cheaper.
Allan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Allan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 July 2020 at 11:36pm
I used 3M Super33 electrical tape on mine. Worked like a charm.
46 CJ2A 36957
75 CJ5
shadow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shadow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 July 2020 at 4:25am
The stuff you want is called glass setting tape, most glass shops will have this.
this is what i used, its very simple to use and holds the glass well.
When i installed my glass i also used dish soap to lube the glass and the setting tape , after trimming with a razor knife the excess tape and washed away the excess soap and you can call it done
lets go for a rip eh bud

Andy
shadow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shadow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 July 2020 at 4:32am
lets go for a rip eh bud

Andy
ChrisP View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ChrisP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 July 2020 at 9:17pm
Any specific version of Gorila Tape? All Weather variant? I can see there are a few different Gorila tapes. 

Thank you
Chris 
Chris

1943 Ford GPW (located in Argentina)
1944 Willys MB (located in Argentina)
1948 Willys CJ2A (located in Mexico)
1956 Willys CJ3B (located in Mexico)
TMRoper View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TMRoper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 July 2020 at 1:30pm
I just went to our local hardware store , I believe it was all purpose black tape.
Brian3 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 July 2020 at 5:27pm
I originally bought the windshield seal from KW, which turned out to be way to thick too use. I did manage to install one side, when I had trouble with the other side, I tried to remove the partially installed pane ended up with a broken pane. I gave up an brought it to a local glass shop and they installed that side but used butyl. When the top of the frame couldn't fit on, the pulled out the other pane (which broke) and put in a new pane with butyl. I hope I don't have to replace either any time soon.
I wish people would quit hittin' me on the head. MQ
Johnnygeep View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Johnnygeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 July 2020 at 5:02pm
Hello,
I always smear a light coat of silicone caulk, the 35 year stuff, around the edges of the laminated glass.  It will help keep out moisture and air from working its way between the glass and fogging it.  Let it dry completely before installing.  
 Post Reply Post Reply