Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Modifications from original
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Getting alternator warning light failed.

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Flatfender Ben View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flatfender Ben Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Getting alternator warning light failed.
    Posted: 06 July 2020 at 3:11am
That looks great!
Thanks for sharing Clap
1946 cj2a desert dog
1946 cj2a bulldog
1948 cj2a blue jeep
1953 cj3b yard dog
1955 willys wagon
1955 willys pickup
1956 willys pickup boomer
1960 fc 170
1968 jeepster commando
1990 Grand wagoneer
boughtnobuilt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boughtnobuilt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 July 2020 at 12:16am
Okay, so I figured this out. I bought a high beam indicator, cut it in half, bought an led from superbrightleds and superglued the led to the front half of the high beam housing. That allowed me a ground and +12 wire and it kept the stock looking jewel on the dash. 

Edited by boughtnobuilt - 04 July 2020 at 1:38am
boughtnobuilt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boughtnobuilt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 June 2020 at 6:31pm
My rig came with an alternator, and an ammeter that was rated too low for the alternator. I've since upgraded the alternator and replaced the ammeter with a voltmeter. I'd like to wire an alternator warning light in the dash, using a high beam indicator light. 

The basic idea for a traditional warning light for the alternator is to wire one side (the +12 side) of the light to the ignition switch,and the other side (ground side) to the output from the alternator. The light will come on when the alternator is not putting out 12v (and supplying ground to the light). However, the high beam indicator light has one wire and is grounded to the dash. Is there anyway I can use it? I'm thinking I'd have to isolate it from the metal dash and wire the wire from the alternator directly to the side of the light. Has anyone done that? Or should I just find another 12v light with it's own ground and go with that. If I need to go with another light, can anyone recommend one that would look okay? 

Thanks. 
 Post Reply Post Reply