Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Your Jeep Project
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Rockgod's '51 CJ3a Project

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 18>
Author
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockgod1619 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Rockgod's '51 CJ3a Project
    Posted: 02 July 2020 at 3:32pm
Hello everyone! I'm Rockgod1619. I live in NE OK. My stepdad has an old '51 CJ3a that he used as a mobile sprayer on his land for a while. However, he hasn't used it in about 8 years and he says the last time he used it, it ran fine. Well last summer I told him "in a few years, I might try and talk you out of that Willys!" He replied with "you can have it!" I found out later that he bought it from a good friend of the family.

Fast forward to this summer. I finally got the go ahead from my wife to bring it home and start working on it! My best friend and I will be going to pick it up July 25th. My wife and I are taking the kids out for a visit next weekend, when I'll get the sprayer rig off it and get some  more pictures. 

Without further ado, here is, "Papa Doc", serial number 451-GB1 51829!

Edited by Rockgod1619 - 17 July 2020 at 4:14pm
'51 CJ3a - Papa Doc (51829)
Rockgod1619 View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockgod1619 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 July 2020 at 3:37pm
Reportedly, when my stepdad bought it, he "redid the steering". I'll be asking what exactly he did. Also, it had previously had a 12-volt conversion done! 

My plan of attack once it's running is to verify all the electronics are in working order, replacing any gauges and lights that need replacing,  and ensuring that the steering is solid. Next will be a disc brake conversion, Lock Right lockers in the rear, old style rims, and STA Super Traxions! Eventually, she will get skid plates, a roll bar, and probably a 2 1/2" suspension lift. 

I don't plan for her to be a rock crawler, we don't really have the terrain for that where I live. It will be hitting the hunting trails at the local public hunting areas though and I will need her to go anywhere I need her to go!

Edited by Rockgod1619 - 07 July 2020 at 6:18pm
Joe Friday View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joe Friday Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 July 2020 at 4:09pm
If it's been stored outside without a top the first thing I would do is drain the transmission. Rain water tend to run down the shift lever through the boot and into the transmission...
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockgod1619 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 July 2020 at 4:45pm
Originally posted by Joe Friday Joe Friday wrote:

If it's been stored outside without a top the first thing I would do is drain the transmission. Rain water tend to run down the shift lever through the boot and into the transmission...
Good information I hadn't thought about! Thank you!!

I'll add that I'm not mechanically minded at all! Luckily I have good friends that are!
Joe Friday View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joe Friday Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 July 2020 at 6:22pm
If you pull the drain plug and get a rush of water followed by a plug of congealed lube followed by clean lube, your countershaft needle bearings may need to be replaced at the least. I admit that I usually just drain and refill and don't take it apart to rebuild unless it is noisy or doesn't shift right.
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockgod1619 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 July 2020 at 7:07pm
Originally posted by Joe Friday Joe Friday wrote:

If you pull the drain plug and get a rush of water followed by a plug of congealed lube followed by clean lube, your countershaft needle bearings may need to be replaced at the least. I admit that I usually just drain and refill and don't take it apart to rebuild unless it is noisy or doesn't shift right.

Right on. I should probably be cataloging these tips!
Nick_ View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nick_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 July 2020 at 9:56pm
That's a solid starting point for a project. Good luck with it.
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockgod1619 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 July 2020 at 10:29pm
Originally posted by Nick_ Nick_ wrote:

That's a solid starting point for a project. Good luck with it.

Thanks!
Flatfender Ben View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flatfender Ben Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 July 2020 at 4:37am
That’s a great looking jeep. 
Can’t wait to see how it looks with the different wheels and tires!
Thanks for sharingClap 
1946 cj2a desert dog
1946 cj2a bulldog
1948 cj2a blue jeep
1953 cj3b yard dog
1955 willys wagon
1955 willys pickup
1956 willys pickup boomer
1960 fc 170
1968 jeepster commando
1990 Grand wagoneer
Flatfender Ben View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flatfender Ben Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 July 2020 at 4:37am
If I had that spray setup I would put it to work.
1946 cj2a desert dog
1946 cj2a bulldog
1948 cj2a blue jeep
1953 cj3b yard dog
1955 willys wagon
1955 willys pickup
1956 willys pickup boomer
1960 fc 170
1968 jeepster commando
1990 Grand wagoneer
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockgod1619 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 July 2020 at 2:02pm
Originally posted by Flatfender Ben Flatfender Ben wrote:

If I had that spray setup I would put it to work.

Haha! I don't have land to spray. I'd rather put the 3a to work on the trails anyway! Big smile

Edited by Rockgod1619 - 03 July 2020 at 2:31pm
SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 July 2020 at 3:11pm
Since you are in northeast Oklahoma, you might consider joining the Willys Rush each April at Rush Springs Ranch near Pineville, Missouri. We get together in April each year for two days of jeepin' in the Ozarks. Plenty of offroad trails and friendly folks who talk jeepin' from Missouri, Kansas, Arkansas, Oklahoma and even Texas. Watch the "Shows and Get Togethers" in the Forum for the announcement early in January. The Meeting usually has about a dozen or so jeeps and we could always accommodate another one.

Get your rig ready and join us!
46 CJ-2A #64462 "Ol' Red" (bought April 1969)(second owner)(12 V, 11" brakes, M-38 frame, MD Juan tub)

U.S. Coast Guard Chief Petty Officer(ret.)
U.S. Army Vietnam veteran and damned proud of it.

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockgod1619 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 July 2020 at 4:02pm
Originally posted by SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A wrote:

Since you are in northeast Oklahoma, you might consider joining the Willys Rush each April at Rush Springs Ranch near Pineville, Missouri. We get together in April each year for two days of jeepin' in the Ozarks. Plenty of offroad trails and friendly folks who talk jeepin' from Missouri, Kansas, Arkansas, Oklahoma and even Texas. Watch the "Shows and Get Togethers" in the Forum for the announcement early in January. The Meeting usually has about a dozen or so jeeps and we could always accommodate another one.

Get your rig ready and join us!

That sounds excellent!! Thanks so much for the info and invite! She should be plenty ready by then! I'll be a true trail amateur though. I'll try not to slow you all down. 
SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 July 2020 at 5:05pm
We will try to give you a heads up when the announcement comes out. Don't worry about being a trail amateur, everyone there has been there at one time and understand. The trails at Rock Springs vary from mild to wild and we generally go in groups. You will be in good company.
46 CJ-2A #64462 "Ol' Red" (bought April 1969)(second owner)(12 V, 11" brakes, M-38 frame, MD Juan tub)

U.S. Coast Guard Chief Petty Officer(ret.)
U.S. Army Vietnam veteran and damned proud of it.

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockgod1619 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 July 2020 at 5:18pm
Originally posted by SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A wrote:

We will try to give you a heads up when the announcement comes out. Don't worry about being a trail amateur, everyone there has been there at one time and understand. The trails at Rock Springs vary from mild to wild and we generally go in groups. You will be in good company.

I checked out the trail maps and checked our the thread for the 2020 Rush. Looks like a heck of a time!!

Edited by Rockgod1619 - 03 July 2020 at 5:21pm
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockgod1619 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 July 2020 at 8:41pm
Here are a few pics I took last weekend. My best friend and I are going to pick it up on the 25th. I've got my work cut out for me!!

Ol' Unreliable View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 July 2020 at 10:07pm
I'm surprised that the critters that moved into the engine compartment didn't eat all the insulation off the wires there.  Also, is the bullet that made the hole in the dash still in the Jeep somewhere?

Edited by Ol' Unreliable - 18 July 2020 at 10:10pm
There's a reason it's called Ol' Unreliable
jeeper50 View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeeper50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 July 2020 at 10:31pm
Harrison heater tucked up under the dash took a bullet, bet the core has at least one large hole in it.

Welcome to the forum!  Ask any and all questions you need answers for.  Oh yeah does the engine turn with some help? 

Edited by jeeper50 - 18 July 2020 at 10:36pm

Belleview ol skool winch soon.
'48 CJ2A 283 V8 sm 420 granny low, tera low D18, overdrive,lockers

Texan at heart,Alabama by retirement

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 18>