Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > General Discussion
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - July 2020 What did you do to your Willys today?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

July 2020 What did you do to your Willys today?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
cpt logger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cpt logger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: July 2020 What did you do to your Willys today?
    Posted: 01 Aug. 2020 at 11:20pm
Originally posted by redrunner redrunner wrote:

I pulled the boat to the lake with my wife and let the golden retriever swim to her heart's content.

I am glad to hear about how you treat your family. The retriever & Willys included. It sounds like a good time was had by all!
Cj2anwohio View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cj2anwohio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug. 2020 at 4:07pm
Wow the cj2a looks way to nice for that job! Cry
redrunner View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote redrunner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug. 2020 at 1:39am
I pulled the boat to the lake with my wife and let the golden retriever swim to her heart's content.
“Life is tough, but it’s tougher if you’re stupid.”
Rockgod1619 View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockgod1619 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 July 2020 at 11:38pm
Originally posted by 48willys 48willys wrote:

It looks like the felpro kit from autozone has both gaskets OS4350AD .

You're a wizard!!
'51 CJ3a - Papa Doc (51829)
48willys View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 48willys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 July 2020 at 11:10pm
It looks like the felpro kit from autozone has both gaskets OS4350AD .
1946 cj2a #28680
1948 chevy 3800 thriftmaster
1946-50's cj2a-3a farm jeep
1993 yj, aka the yj7
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockgod1619 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 July 2020 at 9:51pm
I'm having trouble locating thre pickup gasket online. I'd love to get it from AutoZone or O'Reilly's  if possible. Anyone have a part number?
48willys View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 48willys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 July 2020 at 7:05pm
Yeah you will have a gasket between the block and the oil pan, and if you have to take the pickup tube off it will have one too. Truth being if you just want to see how it runs you’re probably fine starting with some fresh oil and doing a good cleaning later. I like cleaning them though, a couple gaskets and an afternoon is cheap insurance considering how important oil flow is for any engine.
A good discussion about the pick up here. https://www.thecj2apage.com/forums/cleaning-oil-pickup_topic14657.html
1946 cj2a #28680
1993 yj, aka the yj7
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockgod1619 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 July 2020 at 6:17pm
This may be a stupid question, but is there a gasket between the oil pan and what it connects to? If there is, I'd rather have one on hand before I take it off...
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockgod1619 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 July 2020 at 4:54pm
All good information. I've mentioned it before, but my mechanical knowledge is next to zero! This is my first time drinking thre oil in something larger than a riding lawnmower...

Got the oil drained. It wasn't sludgy at all. Unfortunately, I couldn't run the engine to warm the oil up because the engine doesn't run yet. I had some kerosene on hand, so I poured that in. Gonna let it sit for a bit, then crank the engine with the starter to move it around, and drain that. After that, I'll plan on removing the oil pan and cleaning it up. I have my fresh oil and an oil filter ready to go. 

Thank you all for the advice!!

Edited by Rockgod1619 - 30 July 2020 at 5:02pm
dasvis View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dasvis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 July 2020 at 4:12pm
Originally posted by 48willys 48willys wrote:

Should I flush the oil system with kerosene? I've seen that suggested in a few threads, but mine has been sitting for significantly shorter time than others...

For the engine I would drop the pan, disassemble the oil pick up screen and give it and the pan a good cleaning. Willys recommendation was to do it once a year, but that was with the old oils at the time. Flushing with kerosene would probably loosen the dirt that’s stuck to the pan but I’ve seen it bad enough that a simple flush wouldn’t do much anyway. I’ve had a few engines apart that had the oil pick up almost Completely stopped up and needed to be manually cleaned with a brush and solvent.
Gear boxes I would drain and if they are really dirty maybe consider flushing.[/QUOTE]

+1  for sure pry the cover off of the bottom of the oil pick up screen.  LOTS of junk will be hidden under there 
1947 CJ2A #88659 "Rat Patrol"
1953 CJ3A #453-GB1 11266 "Black Beauty"
1964 Thunderbird convertible
..... & one of them moves under it's own power!!
WeeWilly View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WeeWilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 July 2020 at 3:40pm

I use diesel fuel instead of kerosene and mixed with some motor oil to flush with. I also use the same solution to clean parts with.

Jim
47 CJ2A (Ranch Hand) 48 CJ2A, 48 Willys truck, T3C 3782, M274 (Military Mule)
48willys View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 48willys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 July 2020 at 1:07pm

Should I flush the oil system with kerosene? I've seen that suggested in a few threads, but mine has been sitting for significantly shorter time than others...
[/QUOTE]

For the engine I would drop the pan, disassemble the oil pick up screen and give it and the pan a good cleaning. Willys recommendation was to do it once a year, but that was with the old oils at the time. Flushing with kerosene would probably loosen the dirt that’s stuck to the pan but I’ve seen it bad enough that a simple flush wouldn’t do much anyway. I’ve had a few engines apart that had the oil pick up almost Completely stopped up and needed to be manually cleaned with a brush and solvent.
Gear boxes I would drain and if they are really dirty maybe consider flushing.

Edited by 48willys - 30 July 2020 at 1:19pm
1946 cj2a #28680
1993 yj, aka the yj7
Oldpappy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oldpappy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 July 2020 at 4:22am
I think flushing the crankcase with Kerosene is a good idea.

When I was in Alaska 50 years ago a hunting guide told me they put kerosene in with the oil so the Jeeps would turn over in the cold weather.

Back in 87 I drove a Trooper into a mud hole that was more like a pond, and tried to back it out.

Unknown to me the air intake was submerged which allowed muddy water to be inhaled into the intake. 

Total rebuild was necessary after I got it pulled out and towed home. 

Before tearing it down I drained about half the frothy oil and poured in a couple quarts of Kerosene, started it and let it run a few minutes. I knew the damage was already done, but the flushing did clean it out pretty well.

The crankshaft on that puppy looked like it had been threaded! 

I am not recommending running your possibly good engine with kerosene, but I would consider putting some in the crankcase and turning the engine over with the starter a while, rinse and repeat a few times with a day or two between cycles

Edited by Oldpappy - 30 July 2020 at 4:27am
If you can't get there in a Jeep you don't need to be there!
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockgod1619 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 July 2020 at 1:58pm
My plan for today is to drain the gas and oil that's been sitting in it for 5 years. There's still oil in it, checked it yesterday. It's black as night. Then gotta drain the transmission and transfer case, remove the diff covers, get all new lube for everything. I'm gonna follow the chart for now regarding oil types. 

WKWillys View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WKWillys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 July 2020 at 1:23pm
Just finished a full brake rebuild/mod (11" drums, slave cylinders, MC, lines and hoses) on my M38 resto project.

Have a similar setup on my '48 CJ2a done (poorly) by a PO (shoes backwards, self adjusters incorrectly installed, kind of cobbled lines). Plan to dig into that next to get it right.

M38 chassis coming along well, and ready to drop in tranny/tcase/brake/prop shafts, and rebuilt Ross. Ignitor, generator,, starter,, regulator and radiator all rebuilt and ready to install. Waiting for engine to be remanufacturered, then should be very close to a rolling, running chassis (Oct/Nov???). Better Half needs her garage bay back before winter!

Then, on to tub (which fortunately is in pretty decent shape).
Meanwhile, I drive my CJ2a for weekend jollies.

'48 CJ2a "Snakeskin"
'50 M38 "Thunder from Heaven"
'52 M38a1 "Patina"
'47 T3c
'48 T3c
'52 M100
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockgod1619 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 July 2020 at 12:37pm
Yesterday I vacuumed out all the rat crap and stuff they brought into the engine bay. New sparkplugs and wires. Got a new distributor cap and rotor coming in today. Gotta find a cheapo pair of tires that will hold air to go on the front so I can move it around. 
Oldpappy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oldpappy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 July 2020 at 12:26pm
As long as the electrodes are not burned away and the gap is correct there is no hurry on getting new plugs.

What I did to my Jeep today is decide what I am going to do with the brakes. I am going to remove the half done, highly questionable disc brake conversion the previous owner did in front, and install 11" drum brakes with self adjusters. From what I have seen so far I don't have much confidence in anything the previous owner "upgraded", and I have most of the parts for the 11" drum brakes already.

If you can't get there in a Jeep you don't need to be there!
Carson Bradshaw View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carson Bradshaw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 July 2020 at 12:35am
i cleaned spark plugs to keep it going till i get new ones
jeep,cj2,48,V8,(Darwin)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>