Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > General Discussion
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - July 2020 What did you do to your Willys today?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

July 2020 What did you do to your Willys today?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote redrunner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: July 2020 What did you do to your Willys today?
    Posted: 05 July 2020 at 9:20pm
I took two grand kids and my son on a parts run for his truck.  
“Life is tough, but it’s tougher if you’re stupid.”
NCtoy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NCtoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 July 2020 at 2:57am
I fixed a leaking front differential cover seal. Got it right on the second try. The first time I used a gasket, but it leaked as bad as before, so I took it off and used the right stuff. Sealed it right up. That stuff is expensive but good. 
jeepsterjim View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeepsterjim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 July 2020 at 3:44am
finished up straightening  the rear crossmember with a come along, custom made plates for straightening, BFH, hydraulic jack, and a rose bud.  Six hours later the crossmember is back within specs.

Jim
CJ-2A - 81299
Oldpappy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oldpappy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 July 2020 at 5:09am
Just had surgery to remove part of a kidney, and that limits what I can do with my Willys, but it didn't stop me!

I fabricated a rain gutter to keep water from pooling on top of the engine head. I know you can buy them, but I wanted something better than what they came with. 

I made my gutter from an 18" length of alluminum angle mounted into a piece of door channel left from a Jeep I junked. The piece of angle is bonded into the bolt rope part of the door channel with JB Weld, and then that is pop riveted on below the hood hinge, with a bead of Seal All along the top. Can run the hose on that all day and no water collects  in the sparkplug holes anymore.
If you can't get there in a Jeep you don't need to be there!
Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 July 2020 at 4:40pm
Finished up the front axle extended vent finished up my Hose clamps for the Rad hoses and I think I have my electrical problems associated with the electric fan control figured out.
Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
Late 50's 134L 9.25"clutch T90A D18 (1.25") D44/30 flanged E-Locker D25 5.38 Since 1962
Oldpappy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oldpappy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 July 2020 at 5:49pm
I can't do much, so was just poking around in boxes stacked in the basement. I found a big old Warn winch I boxed up when I moved about 30 years ago and haven't seen since. The box was sealed up good, and the winch looks just as good as it did back then. It was on a Jeep I bought for parts last time I built one of these. It worked fine back then, so should still be good. 

This winch is going onto the 48 which already has a winch mount welded between the frame horns. So, soon as I am recovered enough to lift the thing installing it will be the next project.   
Cj2anwohio View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cj2anwohio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 July 2020 at 12:36pm
* Took the grandkids out for lunch. Few days back. 
Thought I would fix / install choke cable / conversion. My cj2a came with a Dauntless Oddfire so has Rochester carb with a heat activated (bi metallic coil spring) automatic choke. I found out the knob with choke written on it (which I thought was glued into the dashboard hole, was in fact a fully operational choke cable and was rusted tight and just not pushed through the fire wall, a bit of wd40, oil and fiddling about and fabricating bracket on the carb, a fully functional manual choke was working beautifully.   I was only just going to take a look to see what I would have to buy! A great result and much better than having to open the hood, remove top of air filter  and chucking in a glug of gas down the ole girl's throat! And then trying to remember where I put the wing nut that holds the air filter together AND hoping that I never dropped it down into the carb! 
* I need to get on and fix brake, turn signal and tail lights next. (Probabaly should have done those before taking grandkids out and fixing the choke..... oh well!)   
Oldpappy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oldpappy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 July 2020 at 1:25pm
Over the weekend, I removed the driver side fender, which was pretty good other than rust out around the brace. I welded in patch panels and a new brace, and took fender to a friend for painting. 

With the fender off I replaced the fuel pump, added an "AC" glass bowl filter at the carb, and ran new lines. Was running on a boat tank, it runs on it's own now. One pat of the peddle, choke and starts right up.

Easy to get to everything with the fender off, so I am probably going to rebuild of the Ross steering box before putting the fender back on. 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cj2anwohio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 July 2020 at 11:16am
Hi OldPappy. 
It feels good when you get a good job done on these vehicles.  
Just wondering......

How difficult is it to remove a fender.  I have the dautless v6 squeezed in to my cj2a and I either have to remove fender or battery and hydraulic pump to get at the spark plugs. 

So an insight on removing a fender would be very helpful. 
Best regards Colin 

drm101 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote drm101 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 July 2020 at 12:22pm
Had a leaking front driveshaft flange. When I had it apart over the winter I used form-a-gasket on the splines. I pulled the flange out, cleaned it up, and sealed the splines with RTV. Also put RTV on both sides of the washer and the nut threads. All better. 
Dean
'47 CJ2A "Ron"
'66 CJ5 "Buckie"
The less the Power the More the Force
Oldpappy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oldpappy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 July 2020 at 12:47pm
I took the steering gear, and column out yesterday, and will install a rebuilt one this weekend. This is much easier to do with the fender removed. Once unbolted it will come right out but you have to rotate it sideways with the Pitman arm on top to clear the oil pump. I will rebuild this steering box for my other project and use the one already built for that in this Jeep.

As to how hard is it to remove the fender:

My fenders were welded to the grill which is something I have seen a lot because the top corner is weak and usually cracks. So, I had to cut this weld with a die grinder. I reinforced that weak spot with a welded in brace of heavier gauge metal. 

One of the two bolts holding the brace to the frame was broken off years ago, the other was gauled in there with rust so took some heat, time, and penetrating oil to get those out. Other than that there are bolts into captive nuts at the grill and body tub which you can squirt from the backside with penetrating oil a few days ahead of surgery, and they usually come out. There are a couple of tabs on the splash apron which bolt into the frame, and one tab on the inside near where the fuel pump is that bolts to the frame. Usually a terminal block and a horn which have to be unbolted from the driver side fender, these bolts are often badly rusted but they are small bolts which break easily, and can be replaced.

Lefthander View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lefthander Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 July 2020 at 11:27pm
What is the right stuff ?

Victor, 1946 CJ2A Chevy powered
AKA Garage Rat

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cj2anwohio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 July 2020 at 2:28am
Old pappy 

Thank you very much.  That was VERY HELPFUL,  thank you again. 

Best regards Colin 
NCtoy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NCtoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 July 2020 at 2:56am
Lefthander, if you’re referencing my post above, the right stuff is a kind of rtv/silicone type gasket maker.  It comes in an aerosol can and is available at most any auto parts store, but it’s expensive. However, it works better than any other gasket maker I’ve used, and you can assemble whatever you’re working on and put into service immediately. 
Oldpappy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oldpappy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 July 2020 at 6:39pm
I drove the ole 47 around the back field today, first time it has moved under it's own power in 10 years.

Had a brief moment of suspense when I first applied the brakes coming down a slight hill. What I thought was a firm pedal suddenly went almost to the floor, apparently the percieved firmness was just something stuck after sitting so long. It did stop, but I sure will be giving the brake system some serious attention.

The previous owner had half way converted it to disc brakes on front. I say "half way" because it is just the disc brakes on the front hubs, still has the stock single master cylinder, and still has original wheel studs which are not long enough. I haven't decided whether to keep the discs, or just convert back to the original style drum brakes.
WKWillys View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WKWillys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 July 2020 at 11:16pm
M38 got all new CJ5 11" brakes today. Brake lines and MC tomorrow. Frame up resto going well.
Cj2a Snakeskin getting a brake job next. Runner, and doing ok.
Then, a '52 M38a1 is gonna get some attention. New purchase yesterday, with a '52 M100 trailer to boOK. Pretty close to Depot fresh, but you'll know the drill
Three Willys being wrenched on is keeping my attention!
Shooting for a three Willys family jeep run at Gettysburg next summer. We'll see.

Hang in Jeepin' gang; enjoy this awesome weather!
JR
'48 CJ2a "Snakeskin"
'50 M38 "Thunder from Heaven"
'52 M38a1 "Patina"
'47 T3c
'48 T3c
'52 M100
MSG Keane View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MSG Keane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 July 2020 at 12:05am
I installed my freshly rebuilt starter today. I also put one new tire on (Jeep budget is tight). I'm also test fitting a roll bar. I'm a purist and hate roll bars, but I'm hoping to do some mild trail rides and may install it for those days. I'm working on getting this more road worthy for the Ohio Fall Colors ride in October. 
Oldpappy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oldpappy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 July 2020 at 8:03pm
Good looking CJ.

Those stock roll bars are better than nothing, and I have seen them protect occupants in a mild roll over. 

I put one on my 48. It is a good place for attaching shoulder strap of seat belt, and a good place to attach a bikini top.

Got the new steering gear installed, discovered the PO had used the wrong Pitman arm on his "rebuilt" steering box. I will disassemble that one and fix any other issues I find. Found he had also installed the drag link repair kit, and a new bell crank, but none had been greased. 

All that taken care of the steering now has very little play, which is probably the King Pin Bearings, and it is very smooth operating. I removed the "steering stabilizer" shock someone had put on her, and that also made a big improvement.

Next up is finding out why I cannot disengage the transfer case. It is stuck in 4WD, will shift between High and Low, but the IN/OUT lever will not budge.

After I have the above resolved I will ordering new tires, then installing the top. I happen to have a top I bought many years ago and never installed on a Jeep. It still looks new, and the material, including the windows are still soft and pliable. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>