Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Modifications from original
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Trials and Tribulations

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 7>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 73 cj5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Trials and Tribulations
    Posted: 10 July 2020 at 12:32am
Overview of a 50's CJ3B I've been working on. Traded a set of 700-16 NDT's for it July 23, 2018. I wanted to build something to run around the woods on a budget and try to learn a few things along the way. 

The frame was in bad shape. 

Some sketchy steering. It was a Studebaker box/column. 

CJ3B
73 cj5 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 73 cj5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 July 2020 at 12:44am
The only welder at the house at the time was a 100 amp lincoln wire feed so I picked up a stick welder.
I built the front frame horns straight out using 2x3x1/4 rectangle tubing. 

I went to a local salvage yard and grabbed some YJ leaf springs. 

I made the front spring hangers out of 1/4 plate. Rear spring hangers were made out of 1/4 angle iron. 

CJ3B
73 cj5 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 73 cj5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 July 2020 at 1:00am
A few months later I stumbled into a Millermatic 35 and shoe horned it in my Zuk. 

I resurfaced the flywheel from the old F134 and put it in storage. 

I picked up a Dodge M37 and pushed this into the woods for a few months and eventually I got tired of the Dodge and brought the 3b back home.

I needed to get a steering column and other junk. I went to my favorite junkyard to strip down a forgotten wagoneer. It still has a D44 up front that I want to pick up eventually. 

CJ3B
73 cj5 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 73 cj5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 July 2020 at 1:15am
A few weeks later I found a T18 (6.32) and D20 in LA and went on a roadtrip. My inital plan was to make an adapter and modify the input shaft so I could use it behind the F134 but after a few hours of measuring and figuring there just wasn't enough length on the input shaft to cut it down and respline it. 

As luck would have it, a few weeks later a T98 was spotted in TN. 600 miles of driving but it was worth the trip. 

I modified front hoop measurements I was given and had a friend bend my front hoop. 

Last fall a fellow jeeper from FL donated an F134 in unknown condition but I had to help him pull it from his 3B. Done. 

I cleaned the points and it fired right up. No smoke, no knocking. Installed a rochester 2G on it. 

CJ3B
73 cj5 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 73 cj5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 July 2020 at 1:30am
The D18 mounting ear was broken off so I decided to use the D20 instead. 
The D18 adapter mount was just a little different. 
D18

D20

I wasn't about to order another mount to I modified the one I bought. 

Small interference after getting the D20 bolted up. 

After cutting 1/4" off the tube it fit like a glove.

I picked up a 74 CJ5 for parts after putting wheels and hubs on it.

Pulled the axles off it. 

Installed the F134 after installing a new clutch kit and the resurfaced flywheel. Had to modify the bell housing for the clutch arm using my portable mill. 

CJ3B
73 cj5 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 73 cj5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 July 2020 at 1:52am
Made a cover for the mechanical fuel pump. 

Ordered 4.88's, rebuild kit for the D30/D44, and lockers. 

Found cheap tires in town. 

Rebuilt the D30. 

Used Seth's puller. Works great!

*Full disclaimer* I've never done anything like this before. 
Positioned the front hoop. I used 1/4 c channel as my outrigger. 

Another new tool. 

Made a power steering pump bracket. 

Mounted the steering column and started to piece together the steering gear mount.

Filled in the fuel filler hole in the tub. 

More cage stuff. 

CJ3B
73 cj5 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 73 cj5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 July 2020 at 2:00am
I purchased a clifford header. I wasted money. Essentially it's a $400 flange at the moment.

I used the clutch/brake assembly from an ecj5 frame and welded it to the cage. Made a MC mount out of 3/8 plate. 

Installed a new headlight and picked up an air filter since I'm using a solex now instead of the rochester 2g because I'm not cutting my hood to make a hood scoop. 

CJ3B
JeepFever View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JeepFever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 July 2020 at 3:50am
I only had time to skim thru this post very quickly,  but can tell it will be a fun one!!!

Can't wait to see the progress!
Flatfender Ben View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flatfender Ben Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 July 2020 at 4:14am
That’s a beast!!
Thanks for sharing. 
Look forward to following the build. 
1946 cj2a desert dog
1946 cj2a bulldog
1948 cj2a blue jeep
1953 cj3b yard dog
1955 willys wagon
1955 willys pickup
1956 willys pickup boomer
1960 fc 170
1968 jeepster commando
1990 Grand wagoneer
73 cj5 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 73 cj5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 July 2020 at 2:00am
Rear shock mounts tacked in place. 

Throttle cable hooked up. 

Bent the arm to get full pedal travel. Nice and smooth. 

Edited by 73 cj5 - 12 July 2020 at 2:36am
CJ3B
73 cj5 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 73 cj5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 July 2020 at 8:13pm
Front driveshaft is done. I bought a piece of 2" erw and 1.5 x 1/4 wall square tubing. Had a 2" circle cut out of 1/2 plate with a 1.5" square cut in the center. It's as straight as I could get it and I think the welds will fail before anything else. Total of $30.

Yesterday I modified an alternator mount and swapped the alternator pulley then found the correct length belts to make it all work.

CJ3B
48walker View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 48walker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 July 2020 at 3:05am
I'm impressed, lot of work being done there.
Careful, if that's a harbor freight jack stand I think it might have  been recalled.
73 cj5 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 73 cj5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug. 2020 at 12:06am
Took the D44 to a friend's shop to regear it and do some work on my truck since he has a few lifts. I still have to get a couple small items then I'll put the axle shafts in. I don't know how long the axle shafts will last. The splines are worn to a sharp point.
I used the freezer part of a refrigerator and a microwave to install most of the bearings/races. We used the arms of a 2 post lift to hold the axle and drive on rack for the workbench.

I have "fixed" the rear floor. I cut out the old stuff and dropped in the new. I wouldn't do it this way if it was something I planned to show off. Good for a junk yard dog though ;)

Edited by 73 cj5 - 09 Aug. 2020 at 8:35am
CJ3B
73 cj5 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 73 cj5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug. 2020 at 8:31am
Installed the cage and painted the floor. Before the cage was installed. I found a couple cans of rustoleum truck bed coating that I bought ~3 years ago. Everything else is painted with the best that 98¢ can buy.

CJ3B
73 cj5 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 73 cj5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug. 2020 at 4:17am
I was building a NA "Hi Po" F134 for this Jeep when I first got it and since my original block was pretty much junk I stopped. I did get some good parts from that engine though. If anyone is interested I can post all the stuff I did to the engine before shelving it. Anyhow...

I figure I could at the least balance parts of the rotating assembly.
(Big End weight) One oddball rod out of the bunch, 653g, and the heaviest was 678g. It took some time but I got two of them down to 662g. That's the best I can do. Hopefully, I can get the crank balanced by the end of this week and finish the connecting rods.

Edited by 73 cj5 - 26 Aug. 2020 at 4:19am
CJ3B
73 cj5 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 73 cj5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug. 2020 at 3:56am
Well, I spent too much money and wasted a ton of time on the disc brake brackets. I had a good samaritan send me a file to cut some brackets out that were similar to the ones on there now and I added the holes needed to make it work on a flanged 44. I ended up not using them. The next issue was the brake backing plate. The bearings and seals I bought were actually for an IH scout so I redrilled the bearing retainers and then used a mill to cut out the excess material so it slipped over the seal like the drum brake backing plate would have. My old hardware disappeared so I took some 3/8 bolts and shaved down one side of each to match the original junk. 

Installed u joints in the front and rear driveshafts. 

Tossed a new cross member together last night. 

Got it installed then put the clutch linkage and battery tray in place. I lost ground clearance but this isn't a rock crawler and 35" tires will make up for it. Have to compromise some when on a budget. 

Edited by 73 cj5 - 30 Aug. 2020 at 3:59am
CJ3B
73 cj5 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 73 cj5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep. 2020 at 9:32am
CJ3B
jeeper50 View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeeper50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep. 2020 at 1:12pm
IT'S ALIVE!!!!!

Belleview ol skool winch soon.
'48 CJ2A 283 V8 sm 420 granny low, tera low D18, overdrive,lockers

Texan at heart,Alabama by retirement

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 7>