Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Modifications from original
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Lower Transfer Case Gears

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 25>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
rocnroll View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocnroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Lower Transfer Case Gears
    Posted: 21 Nov. 2023 at 7:40pm
......Thumbs Up.......

'47 CJ2A PU
'48 CJ2A Lefty

"Common sense is not that common"
jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov. 2023 at 7:33pm
They are $1500 plus shipping plus, you have to send me your intermediate gear for machining.
CJ2A #29110 "General Willys"
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

"We do what we can, and we try what we can't"
rocnroll View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocnroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov. 2023 at 5:39pm
What is the current price?

'47 CJ2A PU
'48 CJ2A Lefty

"Common sense is not that common"
jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov. 2023 at 3:52pm
FYI, I have made 27 sets now. Many are in vehicles now with two or three seasons under their belt.
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov. 2023 at 3:50pm
Hi all,

I have some commitments on gears and several tire kickers.

I am in the process of making 10 sets but I can do more if I have enough people commit. To those "on the list", If you have not sent me your intermediate gear to machine, you are NOT on the list. Once you send gear, I commit to you.
You can PM me here or email me: jpet@classicjeeptops.com

Thanks for reading
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Dec. 2022 at 9:35am
Hi All,

Here are a couple updates. First, for those waiting on gears …

I have several sets back from heat treating. I do have to hone out the output gears to size. I’ll get that done the week after New Years.

For those who are on “the list”. It would be a good idea to ping me to make sure I have your info and make payment. If you have not sent me an intermediate gear or made arrangements for me to provide one, you are NOT on the list. Better tag in. Send me a PM, text, or email.

Intermediate shaft:

I want this assembly to be precision with no gaps between inside of case, bearing races, inner bearing spacer, but after considering duffer’s advice and realizing that if the bearings break in and get loose, I would have no way of tightening them up, I decided to make a compromise. I’ve shimmed the cups so that now if I bear down hard on the nut the bearings have more resistance than I’d recommend but still will not lock up. When I assemble it, I will set the nut to the correct preload but the nut will still be tight enough that I feel like the sides of the case are tied together solidly. If the bearings break in and get loose I will have just a little bit of freedom to crank the nut a little harder … not much though. I will use a 7/8-14 nylock nut as a castle nut and cotter pin do not provide accurate resolution to set preload.

Finally, a little FYI:

Broke another spur gear tooth. This was in a stock 1-1/8 shaft case, I.e. 21/39 spur gear set.
This validates in my mind that if you are running a 4.3 Chevy or bigger, with granny 4 speed you should highly consider running a transfer case with the 1-1/4” intermediate shaft, I.e. 29/39 helical set - 18/33 spur gear set.
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov. 2022 at 10:18pm
I have thought of that if it’s necessary but I’d prefer to come up with a recipe that is permanent, needs no adjustment, holds the case solid without putting any stress on it. It might not be possible but that is my goal.
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

duffer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote duffer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov. 2022 at 9:55pm
I didn't mean to infer that the assembly moved the case walls.  But torquing the nut could suck those in just like using the expander to install the gear/bearings if any slack develops.  That could come into play as the bearings wear.  It may actually be beneficial for some adjustment.

I'll run a test on the case I have sitting on the bench.

Edited by jpet - 14 Nov. 2022 at 10:18pm
1955 3B: 441sbc,AGE 4 speed transmission, Teralow D18w/Warn OD, 4.11:1 D44's/ARB's, glass tub & fenders, aluminum hood/grill, 8274, York OBA, Premier Power Welder; 67 CJ5: 225,T86AA, D18, 4.88's, OD
jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov. 2022 at 7:07pm
Originally posted by duffer duffer wrote:

Have you checked to see how much deflection there is in the case when snugged/extended between the intermediate shaft bores?
there is no deflection. The assembly is designed to fit perfectly
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

duffer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote duffer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov. 2022 at 4:43pm
Have you checked to see how much deflection there is in the case when snugged/extended between the intermediate shaft bores?
1955 3B: 441sbc,AGE 4 speed transmission, Teralow D18w/Warn OD, 4.11:1 D44's/ARB's, glass tub & fenders, aluminum hood/grill, 8274, York OBA, Premier Power Welder; 67 CJ5: 225,T86AA, D18, 4.88's, OD
duffer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote duffer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov. 2022 at 4:37pm
Originally posted by jpet jpet wrote:

Soooo, if one has the X98 gear machined for AA's kit, you would need to remachine the race seats deeper for this set up?  …
No, actually you would need to add shims. I machined your C’bores to .485 deep per the AA drawing. In order to make the inner cones fit snug between the case frame, these c’bores need to be about .4795 deep or so. I don’t have an exact number yet.   McMaster Carr sells 50mm x 40mm x .1mm thick shims that might work. If I could find increments of .001”, it would be better. In order to dial mine in, I machined the C’bores about .06 deeper so that I could make precise shims in the lathe.
Quote …Are you using the same Timken Set 14 bearings as the AA kit?…
Yes. I looked around to see if I could find a bigger bearing but I think set 14 is about as big as I can go and still have reasonable strength in the spool. Besides, I’m trying to keep the heat down so I’d rather use smaller bearings even if I have to replace them once in a while. They work ok on the rear axles of tandem trailers and those wheels are under significant thrust at times.
Quote …And when are these anticipated to hit the market?  The X98 project is still on the bench but is on the queue-----------
Well, that depends. How many wheeling trips do I have to do before I can be confident that the product is thoroughly tested? With this setup, the pre-load is non adjustable so whatever “I” think is the proper preload is what everyone has to live with. I’m going with the basic rule that inboard cones are supposed to have a slight preload and outboard cones a slight clearance so I made this setup so that when the cluster gear is spun by hand, it will spin freely but not just keep coasting. Same thing as Metalshaper recommends. ….
… what I don’t know yet is what will happen when this setup is put in the vehicle and wheeled hard a few times. My experience with the AA kit is that it always loosens up a bit and I have to go back at tighten the nut. With this setup, that may not be possible. Idk. Still in R&D. Right now. I’m very busy at work but I plan to get all this in by January and run it at Winter Jamboree.

I can make you the shaft, bearing spacer and end cap. You would need to get the shims for your cups I also machined the outside surfaces of my case to make them perpendicular to the case bores. I’m not sure if that is necessary or not.
jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov. 2022 at 7:50am

Soooo, if one has the X98 gear machined for AA's kit, you would need to remachine the race seats deeper for this set up?  …
No, actually you would need to add shims. I machined your C’bores to .485 deep per the AA drawing. In order to make the inner cones fit snug between the case frame, these c’bores need to be about .4795 deep or so. I don’t have an exact number yet.   McMaster Carr sells 50mm x 40mm x .1mm thick shims that might work. If I could find increments of .001”, it would be better. In order to dial mine in, I machined the C’bores about .06 deeper so that I could make precise shims in the lathe.
Quote …Are you using the same Timken Set 14 bearings as the AA kit?…
Yes. I looked around to see if I could find a bigger bearing but I think set 14 is about as big as I can go and still have reasonable strength in the spool. Besides, I’m trying to keep the heat down so I’d rather use smaller bearings even if I have to replace them once in a while. They work ok on the rear axles of tandem trailers and those wheels are under significant thrust at times.
Quote …And when are these anticipated to hit the market?  The X98 project is still on the bench but is on the queue-----------
Well, that depends. How many wheeling trips do I have to do before I can be confident that the product is thoroughly tested? With this setup, the pre-load is non adjustable so whatever “I” think is the proper preload is what everyone has to live with. I’m going with the basic rule that inboard cones are supposed to have a slight preload and outboard cones a slight clearance so I made this setup so that when the cluster gear is spun by hand, it will spin freely but not just keep coasting. Same thing as Metalshaper recommends. ….
… what I don’t know yet is what will happen when this setup is put in the vehicle and wheeled hard a few times. My experience with the AA kit is that it always loosens up a bit and I have to go back at tighten the nut. With this setup, that may not be possible. Idk. Still in R&D. Right now. I’m very busy at work but I plan to get all this in by January and run it at Winter Jamboree.

I can make you the shaft, bearing spacer and end cap. You would need to get the shims for your cups I also machined the outside surfaces of my case to make them perpendicular to the case bores. I’m not sure if that is necessary or not.
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

duffer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote duffer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov. 2022 at 11:38am
Soooo, if one has the X98 gear machined for AA's kit, you would need to remachine the race seats deeper for this set up?  Are you using the same Timken Set 14 bearings as the AA kit?

And when are these anticipated to hit the market?  The X98 project is still on the bench but is on the queue-----------
Roostre View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roostre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov. 2022 at 11:19am
Wow! Super impressed with your ability to keep making these TCs better and better!

Still loving the gears; in fact they have survived a bearing failure now looking no worse for the wear. 
SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov. 2022 at 3:49pm
Very similar to the intermediate gear set up on the New Process 205 transfer case used in the 70s by Chevy and Ford.
46 CJ-2A #64462 "Ol' Red" (bought April 1969)(second owner)(12 V, 11" brakes, M-38 frame, MD Juan tub)

U.S. Coast Guard Chief Petty Officer(ret.)
U.S. Army Vietnam veteran and damned proud of it.

jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov. 2022 at 12:26pm

...Wouldn't putting "some" torque on the nut tie both front and back of the case together for more strength and maybe lessen the probability of splitting it? ...
Yes, and that is what I will do. I was just trying to make the point that the pre-load is not set by the nut via floating shaft as you described. The nut simply holds the bearings and case together. You can crank on this nut and it will not affect the pre-load.
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

duffer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote duffer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov. 2022 at 12:06pm
Originally posted by jpet jpet wrote:

The nut on the intermediate shaft only serves to hold everything together. The pre-load is all created by proper shimming. Now that I know how deep to go with the c'bores, I may not even need the shims.

More impressive engineering!  Wouldn't putting "some" torque on the nut tie both front and back of the case together for more strength and maybe lessen the probability of splitting it?  The the stock arrangement and the AA kit obviously do not do that.  The original AA kit I bought decades back had a crush sleeve in it between the bearings but that still left the front shaft retainer floating to set the preload.
43 Flat-Fender View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 43 Flat-Fender Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov. 2022 at 6:08pm
Amazing effort and progress Jeff.

Impressive dedication to the Art and Science of "Going Sloooow".
Rob
GPW 94445 (DOD 01-25-43) Built in Louisville KY
Engine: MB341746
"Faithful Steed" since 1967
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 25>