Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Modifications from original
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Lower Transfer Case Gears

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2021222324 25>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote oldtime Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb. 2022 at 2:17pm
If I am not mistaken Grampa’s Jeep actually has a 56.7 to 1 gear reduction. T90C 3.339 x TL 3.16 x Final Drive Ratio 5.375’s.
Kinda strange they call the Terra Lows 3.15 when the tooth count actually yields to 3.16!  (head scratch)
Anyway IMHO that’s a pretty good ratio for most trail explorations.
But I think around 84/1 is even better for slow crawling.
Slower than that seems like a driver is just looking for the toughest obstacles they can find. Or perhaps has huge tires.
If I could pick 3 crawl ratios in the same Jeep I would opt for:
37/1 The Willys standard so you can wheel with the group.
56/1 For the most scenic slow trails.
84/1 For crawling over the knarly stuff.

If you do the math you will see that 56/1 is roughly 1.5 times the 37/1 ratio and 84/1 is 1.5 times the 56/1 ratio.
These exact ratios are fairly easy to obtain with certain Borg Warner transmissions and available D18 gear sets.

Edited by oldtime - 24 Feb. 2022 at 2:30pm
Currently building my final F-134 powered 3B .
T98-A Rock Crawler using exclusive factory parts and Approved Special Equipment from the Willys Motors era (1953-1963)
Zero aftermarket parts

EJOWest View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote EJOWest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb. 2022 at 9:30pm
I am an old skinny tire guy that is new to locker wheeling and having a absolute blast! I really appreciate Q8’s exposure to the hobby and JPet, Stan and others insight and experiences out on the trail. I think the X98 transfer case gears are going to be a great fit!
Ernie

jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar. 2022 at 7:48pm
Update: Got the parts from heat treat and had some trouble. First a re-cap

I made 5 sets from the standard 8620 material. The last time I made these, the parts shrank about .003. This time, I had the blanks normalized and tempered before cutting the teeth. It worked. This time the parts barely changed after heat treat. About .001 or less. ....

The 9310 parts are a different story.   According to the cert sheet, the material was already norm & tempered so I just made the blanks, had the teeth cut, and sent them to heat treat. When I got these back, the ID’s on the parts shrank .005 on the small gears and .008 on the big gear.   Strangely, and luckily, the teeth didn’t change very much so the intermediate gear and output gear are still useable but the spline on the input gear is way too small.   I took them to a shop with an EDM. .... long story short, they junked out 4 of 5. The one that is useable is still sloppier than I want but I’m going to use it till I can make a replacement. I’m going to make another batch of input gears of both 8620 and 9310. This time I will have all the gears normalized and tempered. Let’s see what happens. In the mean time,

... I made this fixture which makes it easy to test the parts for backlash fit and sound. The jig has bearings in it so I can run the assembly with a drill.

I throw a little lapping compound on them to take off any sharp edges or blemishes:

I’ve sent out two sets and I plan to have at least two more sent this week. Hopefully, three.

Sorry John, I have to make a new input gear for your set. This is the easiest of the three to make. I’ll have the blank made this week.

Edited by jpet - 05 Mar. 2022 at 7:53pm
CJ2A #29110 "General Willys"
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

"We do what we can, and we try what we can't"
jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar. 2022 at 2:26pm
I know I’ve said this before, but I want to stress again that when you grind clearance in your case, make sure you swing for the fences.

This corner probably needs it the most.

Just make sure that if a little debris gets loose that the teeth don’t pick it up and wreck.

MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

dasvis View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dasvis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar. 2022 at 2:41pm
Jeff-
 When do you get time to sleep?
1947 CJ2A #88659 "Rat Patrol"
1953 CJ3A #453-GB1 11266 "Black Beauty"
1964 Thunderbird convertible
..... & one of them moves under it's own power!!
jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar. 2022 at 4:22pm

On mine, I ran a long shcs through the entire case,

... but a guy could put a shorter cap screw in here and then just use the outside hole as an access hole for a long Allen wrench

MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

duffer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote duffer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar. 2022 at 10:22am
Has anyone just tried to use a short stud in the upper right hole?  You would have to start the nut on while assembling but I think there is enough room to make that work, depending on one's welded cover.
1955 3B: 441sbc,AGE 4 speed transmission, Teralow D18w/Warn OD, 4.11:1 D44's/ARB's, glass tub & fenders, aluminum hood/grill, 8274, York OBA, Premier Power Welder; 67 CJ5: 225,T86AA, D18, 4.88's, OD
oldtime View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldtime Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar. 2022 at 11:02am
I have been using short studs in the lower bolt hole location with great success.
One pretty much has to use a stud there if you use a T18/98 rear adapter plate. That’s the way it was done from factory. No room to insert a bolt.

Edited by oldtime - 11 Mar. 2022 at 11:05am
T98-A Rock Crawler using exclusive factory parts and Approved Special Equipment from the Willys Motors era (1953-1963)
Zero aftermarket parts

Stev View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar. 2022 at 11:33am
When you cut a large hole case and then have to seal / weld a cover on the case , there just is not room for a nut, stud, cap screw... and the cover.  Through bolting it is the only option I can see.  I tried to figure out a different way but there is no room on the large hole case version of this project.
Stev
1946 CJ2A Trail Jeep (The Saint), 1948 CJ2A Lefty Restored
oldtime View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldtime Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar. 2022 at 11:42am
Like Duffer suggests…try fitting the cover very precise.
Might feasibly install a bolt before the gear cover is welded on ?
I might even consider brazing a 3/8” stud into that upper bolt bole.
But that fully depends upon the transmission you are mating to.
With a T90; the mating threads are up inside the transmission case. 

Edited by oldtime - 11 Mar. 2022 at 12:06pm
Zero aftermarket parts

jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar. 2022 at 2:14pm

The head does not collide with the gear

I think if I were going to do this, I might wrap some Teflon or something on the bolt so that it doesn’t fall out of the hole so easy. If the bolt ever falls out, you would have issues. This intermediate gear will not come out unless the output shaft is disassembled. The up side is that the output gear is so small that you can put the shaft assembly (w/ pesky snap ring) together outside the case:

Edited by jpet - 11 Mar. 2022 at 2:15pm
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

EJOWest View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EJOWest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr. 2022 at 7:56pm
I finalized my X98 transfer case gears install this weekend, installed the transmission/transfer case in the Jeep and have about 40 miles test drive so far. Everything is working great! I decided to mate it to a T90A because I like the range of gearing that provides. I'm planning on putting more miles on it this week and heading to Moab next week to test out the lower range!

Edited by EJOWest - 04 Apr. 2022 at 7:59pm
jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr. 2022 at 8:17pm
That’s cool Ernie, I have mine in too now. Got about 200 miles. cu in Moab!
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

Barry S View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barry S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr. 2022 at 8:44pm
Just finished reassembling mine Saturday with a different slide gear.  That cured the click that was caused by a bad tooth on the used slide gear I put in when installing Jeff's gears.  No click now!Thumbs Up  Hoping to swap the lower gear transfer case back into Grasshopper this weekend.  Getting ready for Southington and the Willys Spring reunion next month!

-Barry
1947 CJ2A 93664 "Grasshopper"
1947 CJ2A 90729
194? CJ2A 04893/194304
1946 CJ2A 46745
1946 CJ2A 36723
1945 MB   413665
1971 CJ5 8305017 375392 Drive train parts donor
Bantam Trailer T3-C 25487
EJOWest View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EJOWest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr. 2022 at 10:14am
I just got back from Moab EJS with the X98 gears in my M38. The lower gears were great to have! I had decide to go with the t90a and I really like the gear selection with that combo. The high gear range was nice getting to the trail head and on the trail where the lower gears were not needed and the low range was nice to have on the obstacles. The low 1st was great for crawling and if I didn't need to slow crawl or needed a little bump 2nd low worked good. I'm very Happy with the X98 gears!
jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr. 2022 at 12:44pm
Hi all,

Here is my report on the X98 Supers I ran at EJS and Rush Springs. Good news! After one week and 3 weekends of what I would call abusive driving, the new helical gears held up great!!

This also include probably a couple thousand miles on the road. They held up so great that is was the slide gear and housing that I blew up at Rush Springs last weekend ...

If you look in the picture, you see 5 or so, teeth shucked off the slide gear. The intermediate gear has one tooth with the top broke off but that’s about it. Also, the picture reveals a crack running from the corner of the pan outlet to the pto hole.

... more.

Edited by jpet - 27 Apr. 2022 at 1:14pm
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr. 2022 at 12:57pm
For the record, this is a 4.3 Chevy in front of an SM465 truck tranny, not an 4 cyl with three speed. When I ran the numbers, the spur gears are not strong enough to hold up to the torque that BAM BAM is capable of putting out when they are put behind my 17/47 gears. I went with them because Jack O’Brein uses the same original spur gears in his 4.86 set. IDK, maybe the gear was defective, maybe this maybe that. I am encouraged that my gears were not the weak link. My next move is this:

I’m going to try using the 18/33 spur gear set from a 1-1/4” hole case. The picture above shows a 39 tooth slide gear compared to a 33 tooth gear. The 39 tooth gear is 7DP but the 33 tooth gear is actually 6 DP and has a larger base as shown in the pic. In hind site, it sorta makes sense that Willys changed this gear set when they went to 29 tooth input gear and 1-1/4” intermediate shaft for newer Jeeps with V6 and V8.

This will make my X98 Super’s final ratio 5.07 instead of 5.13. I think the added strength is worth it.

.... more.

Edited by jpet - 27 Apr. 2022 at 1:15pm
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr. 2022 at 1:11pm
Case:

I have another case but I believe I will repair this one for now while I’m still in R&D. Haven’t decided if I will tig it or braze it. Also not sure what caused it or when it happened. My case was leaking before and during EJS and it appeared to be coming from that area somewhere. I was thinking PTO cover and my PTO cover bolts kept coming loose. It is possible the case was crack from a year ago when I threw a driveshaft and broke a tooth. IDK but it lead me to make some girdles for the case.

So, anywho, I’m encouraged by what I’ve learned. If push comes to shove, I will have to make my own spur gears but I prefer not in order to keep this product economical. I expect to have this back together in a day or two and put it through more pain.

Just a reminder, these gears are for 4 cylinders with three speeds but hopefully I can get to V8 with 4 speed. EJS was a blast. Some of the videos out show BAM BAM’s ridiculous crawl ratio and other show horsepower being put to the drive train. I also had a very good chat at the show with the GM of Advanced Adapters. I really hope to make a go of this. Thanks for reading.

Edit: ... One more thing. After I broke my spur gear and got home from Rush Springs, I proceeded to drive BAM BAM on a 130 mile round trip. It is when the whole underbelly and back end was covered in oil that I saw that the case was cracked.

Edited by jpet - 27 Apr. 2022 at 1:24pm
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2021222324 25>