Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Tech Questions and Answers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

problems with carb/mixture too rich

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Durstig Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: problems with carb/mixture too rich
    Posted: 14 July 2020 at 9:00am
Hello,

I am Ralf from Germany and I am owning a 1948 CJ2A since February.
Drove approx 370 mls since then without any special problems.

During the last few weeks cold starts became somehow problematic:
Once it started, it runs well and starts well for the rest of the day, but cold starts are now problematic.
No matter whether a lot or little choke, gas, no gas, etc. - it starts, but stalls after a few seconds …

The mixture seems to be too rich - this is how the spark plugs look after a few miles:

I've already cleaned the air filter and installed a new condenser in the Distributor - without any change…
If I open the fuel pump and close it again, cold start is no problem…
Seems to be a fuel pump issue somehow...

What could be the problem here?
Any help is welcome, please feel free to ask if more pictures/information is needed.

Best regards from Germany,
Ralf
drm101 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote drm101 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 July 2020 at 11:52am
Nice looking Jeep!!
That plug doesn't look too bad if you just started it and didn't run it long. If it runs good after it warms up, and the problem is only the cold start, it sounds like an issue with the choke. The choke is designed to create a rich condition when the engine is cold. When you pull the choke cable is it closing the choke completely?
Try getting it completely warmed up and drive it around for 10 minutes or longer, then pull the plug and take a photo. All that black carbon should clean up from the plug. If not, you might be running rich even after it's warmed up. If it's rich at idle after it's warmed up, adjust the idle screw in until the rpm just starts to drop, then out slightly and stop at max rpm. That should get you close. 

Also, what spark plug are you running there? It doesn't look familiar to me. If the plug's heat range was too cold, it's possible that it might not be cleaning up.

Edited by drm101 - 14 July 2020 at 12:09pm
Dean
'47 CJ2A "Ron"
'66 CJ5 "Buckie"
The less the Power the More the Force
athawk11 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote athawk11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 July 2020 at 2:48pm
Do you have the standard Carter WO carburetor?  Can we see what you have under the hood?  
1- 1946 CJ2A   
2- 1949 CJ3A
Durstig View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Durstig Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 July 2020 at 5:47pm
She's in an overall pretty good condition - was restored last year.
Here's a picture of the engine compartment:

Unfortunately, the spark plugs do not clean up after a long and hard run - I've tested this a few times.
I am using these spark plugs - on recommendation of the previous owner:

I have a set of NGK B6S spark plugs on the shelf, should I give them a try?

The engine is equipped with the Solex carburetor, unfortunately I could not find any manual so far…

This is the carb - I've adjusted the needle in the red box 0,5 turns to the right. This increased the idling a little bit, she ran good but plugs stayed black…

Maybe the float level of the carb is set too high? And/or too much pressure from the fuel pump?

Once again - thanks for your help!
Kinnett View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kinnett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 July 2020 at 6:17pm
I have a Solex carburetor and the float gets stuck all the time.  A gentle rap on the side of the carburetor float bowl and it comes unstuck.   I took the float out and filed down a sharp ridge around the float where the top and bottom are soldered together and that seemed to help considerably.   
athawk11 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote athawk11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 July 2020 at 6:36pm
Solex carburetors deliver too much fuel to the L-134 engine.  You generally have better function if you add a fuel pressure regulator between the fuel pump and the Solex.

Edit: I also have a couple documents/instructionals for the Solex.  They are on my home computer.  If you want them, I can get them to you later today.

Edit#2:  Damn nice looking engine bay!

Edited by athawk11 - 14 July 2020 at 6:40pm
1- 1946 CJ2A   
2- 1949 CJ3A
Kinnett View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kinnett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 July 2020 at 6:41pm
Ditto on the fuel pressure regulator.   I have one and set it at 1.5 psi.   
47 deuce alpha View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 47 deuce alpha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 July 2020 at 8:44pm
https://www.thecj2apage.com/forums/solex-carburetor-issues-on-46_topic42224.html
There's a lot of good Solex info available on the forum. Above is one link you might find interesting.
For the record, my 47' had a Solex when I got it, I could never make it run right, including a very expensive regulator. I finally gave up and Went to a Carter WO. One question, are you running a stock fuel pump?
1947 CJ2A 90419
1947 CJ2A 127735
1949 Ford 8N
1955 Kaiser Willys Pickup
Half the distance takes you twice as long.
Durstig View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Durstig Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 July 2020 at 6:04am
@47 deuce alpha:
thank you for the link to the Solex info - I am going to work through it.
Here's a pic of my fuel pump, I think it's a stock fuel pump:

It really seems to be some kind of mismatch between pump and carb regarding fuel pressure: once I've opened the pump to drain it (and in connection with that, of course, also the fuel line to the carb) she cold starts without any problem...

Could this too high fuel pressure also be the reason for constantly running too rich?
I think before changing to a Carter carb I should give a fuel pressure regulator a try - can you recommend one?
I then would also have to change the pump-carb-connection from metal to tube.

Durstig View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Durstig Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 July 2020 at 6:07am
Originally posted by athawk11 athawk11 wrote:

Solex carburetors deliver too much fuel to the L-134 engine.  You generally have better function if you add a fuel pressure regulator between the fuel pump and the Solex.

Edit: I also have a couple documents/instructionals for the Solex.  They are on my home computer.  If you want them, I can get them to you later today.

Edit#2:  Damn nice looking engine bay!

Thank you! This would be great if you could provide these documents.
Durstig View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Durstig Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 July 2020 at 6:14am
Again - thank you guys, for all the useful help!

I am not Ready yet to Change to a carter carb.
At first, I am going to try to solve this fuel pressure issue and see what happens…
Oldpappy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oldpappy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 July 2020 at 1:44pm
And if you do end up changing to a CARTER WO, you don't have to change the metal fuel line just the fitting at the carburator. On mine I added a AC glass bowl filter at the carb with an elbow fitting, identical to the one coming off your fuel pump, for the fuel line connection. The AC filter I used is what was on Chevrolet vehicles from the 50s-60s but is very similar to the carter verion used on Jeeps.

What a tidy and clean engine! You could eat off that.

Edited by Oldpappy - 15 July 2020 at 1:47pm
If you can't get there in a Jeep you don't need to be there!
Kinnett View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kinnett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 July 2020 at 2:01pm
Hey Old Pappy,  I would like to see a photo of that fuel filter installed if you could post one.   
Michaeltru View Drop Down

Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Michaeltru Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 July 2020 at 3:45pm
Turn that screw in ‘til engine starts to stumble. Turn out slowly ‘ til it idles smoothly. Slow idle now?

Edited by Michaeltru - 15 July 2020 at 4:44pm
Mike in AZ
Oldpappy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oldpappy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 July 2020 at 5:36pm
Kinnet,

I will soon as I can figure out how to post a photo.

Oldpappy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oldpappy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 July 2020 at 5:55pm

Oldpappy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oldpappy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 July 2020 at 5:57pm

Oldpappy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oldpappy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 July 2020 at 5:59pm
You can also see the rain gutter I fabricated in one of the pictures. No more water collecting on top of head.

Have a rebuilt Carter WO coming, but that one works pretty good after I cleaned the bowl, float valve, and blew compressed air through th orifices.

Got the NOS filter off of Ebay for $15, but you can find them all over the place.

Fender is off because it needed a new brace and rust repair, while off I installed a new fuel pump, lines and the filter. Will aslo be replacing the steering gear while I can get at it. Have one rebuilt and ready. The one in it has a lot of flop due to bad bushings.

Edited by Oldpappy - 15 July 2020 at 6:05pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>