Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Jeep identification

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Ol' Unreliable View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Jeep identification
    Posted: 02 Aug. 2020 at 3:35am
So the cobbled-together MB has, for a driver's seat, a passenger seat out of a CJ-5 (or a -3B?).  Some of the work done on that is better-than-Bubba, some is classic Bubba.  We've all seen worse, haven't we?
There's a reason it's called Ol' Unreliable
NMCB74 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NMCB74 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug. 2020 at 4:25am
I just want to take the time to thank everyone for their experience and knowledge on this. You all have been a great deal of help! I'll be parking this one until I figure what I'm going to do with it. I have another 2A to go through first and I'm closing in on a 2A  I started a while back.  
Just do it!!!!!!!!
WillysWally View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WillysWally Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 July 2020 at 4:28am
Good Evening Everyone:

Agreed, it sure looks like an MB or ACM tub.  If it is that, whoever installed put the outside fuel tank filler neck did two things.  It sure appears that he used a proper CJ bracket for that, and he did a very professional job!  Most of the derelicts that I come across, bubba just took a torch and hacked a hole for a 2A tank filler neck. 

It also looks like he did a similar decent job on the transmission floor pan or its cover over the shifter.  Again when I have seen T-90's in an MB or GPW they usually hacked a hole big enough for the shift levers to fit without interference. 

Regards,

Walter
Oldpappy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oldpappy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 July 2020 at 3:59am
Interesting patch on the timing cover?

Joe already identified the motor as being late CJ, so it is not a chain drive cam engine. That "patch", if that is what it is, could just be an adaptation of an early timing cover by removing the plunger stud, and patching the hole, or the "patch" could just be a piece of tape covered in grease.

I like the "salad" some of these old Jeeps have become, it is part of their history, and shows that the Jeep was important enough to someone along the line to do whatever they could to keep it rolling. For the same reason I like to see the creative field engineering so many folks blame on someone named "Bubba".

I know it looks bad in some ways, but that body tub is not beyond repair. I have seen worse brought back from the dead. 

I am building an MB clone on a late 48 CJ2A frame (CJ3A frame but motor stands indicate it was used in late run CJ2A), with M38 A1 Marine surplus axles, a early fifties L134 government contract replacement chain drive engine, and a reproduction MB body. Just tossing a salad that may confuse folks after I am gone. 

Edited by Oldpappy - 30 July 2020 at 4:08am
If you can't get there in a Jeep you don't need to be there!
chasendeer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chasendeer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 July 2020 at 2:23am
It’s a ACM2 body on a cj2a frame. 
NMCB74 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NMCB74 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 July 2020 at 1:53am
Pics of the timing cover.
Just do it!!!!!!!!
NMCB74 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NMCB74 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 July 2020 at 1:49am
NMCB 74 was an active Battalion. They were decommissioned in July of '14. I served '91-'94 as a BU!
Just do it!!!!!!!!
NMCB74 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NMCB74 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 July 2020 at 1:43am
The cross member is of the round type
The gussets look like this.
Just do it!!!!!!!!
Oldpappy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oldpappy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 July 2020 at 8:11pm
Yep, my uncle Ben bought one out of a JC Whitney mail order catalog around then. It worked fine for his hunting Jeep, but there were a lot of differences between it and the wrecked and rusty GPW tub it replaced. He didn't care about that, he just wanted something with solid floors in it. 

My other uncle "Tubby" had a Willys MB we also took on hunting trips. He participated in the Army field trials when the Cavalry mechanized so was more familiar with Jeeps than most were. He is the one who spotted most of the differences in the reproduction tub.

I thought you were kidding about the possibility of that one being an early reproduction, sorry for the misunderstanding. I wasn't trying to be a smart acre. 
Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 July 2020 at 4:50pm
correct MD Juan has only been making jeeps since 1969.
Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
Late 50's 134L 9.25"clutch T90A D18 (1.25") D44/30 flanged E-Locker D25 5.38 Since 1962
Oldpappy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oldpappy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 July 2020 at 3:25pm
"What are the possibilities its a early one size fits all reproduction tub?"

It is not an early reproduction tub. Depending on how "early" there are noticeable differences to an original tub. Someone pointed out something else about the tool boxes which indicates a Willys MB body.

Besides, it takes about 75 years to develop that kind of "patina" and I don't think MD Juan was in business that long ago. 

I like the liberal application of Duct tape, gives it some "character" but I have seldom seen it used to patch holes in a body.

Edited by Oldpappy - 29 July 2020 at 3:27pm
ggordon49 View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ggordon49 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 July 2020 at 2:07pm
The circular depressions for the rear tool boxes are an indication of a Willys... Nice score! Thumbs Up
- Don't Let The Fatherless Ones Grind You Down -
- I like them stock, survivor's with original paint are my favorites -
Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 July 2020 at 2:05pm
What are the possibilities its a early one size fits all reproduction tub? 
Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
Late 50's 134L 9.25"clutch T90A D18 (1.25") D44/30 flanged E-Locker D25 5.38 Since 1962
WillysWally View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WillysWally Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 July 2020 at 1:56pm
Good Morning NMCB74:

Two quick questions. 

1) What do the toe board supports look like?  If they are the stamped variety they could be GPW or later, post late 1943 Willys.  If they were made on a break with very sharp angles at the bends it is probably a Willys body. 

2) What type of front cross member -- a round curved tube?  -- Willys.  Or a rectangular straight box?  -- Ford.

Your pictures did not show any of those areas.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Walter
Joe DeYoung View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joe DeYoung Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 July 2020 at 1:36pm

Looks like an MB body on a 2a frame so there is a bit of hocus pocus going on to make it fit... particularly the body mounts. I can see that the shift tower cover plate doesn't match up and the opening for the transfer case levers has be altered to make room for the longer t90 tranny. Judging by the engine block casting number, the engine looks to be a very late L head...late 50s early 60s.  

Joe DeYoung
to many jeeps, parts, and accessories to list here, but apparently enough to keep me in trouble with my wife.

Oldpappy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oldpappy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 July 2020 at 12:01pm
It is probably a Willys MB body, but could be GPW. If the toolbox lids in the back were still there it would give a better clue, but it is a WW2 military body with modification for the CJ2A fuel tank. Notice the half round area in the center of the floor riser, that is where a machine gun mount would have been on the original frame cross member.

The engine is Willys but I think CJ2A not WW2 judging by the head, but a lot of WW2 engines ended up with later heads so can't tell from the pictures. If there is a rivet looking piece in the center of the timing cover that would be the plunger post for a chain drive cam engine which would place the engine in WW2 or early CJ.
Kinnett View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kinnett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 July 2020 at 3:03am
74 Does More!  I was in NMCB 74 in the 80s.  They were an active duty Seabee battalion, they were decommissioned about 5 or 6 years ago.   That jeep looks like it started life as an MB and has seen quite a few changes over the years.   The engine, or at least the head is later.  Are those M38 parking lights in the CJ grill?  
SlaterDoc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SlaterDoc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 July 2020 at 2:52am
Dang! I shoulda done a lot more drivin around upstate! Especially since I finally finished accumulating everything for my 2A to MB look-a-like! Cry
I'm suspecting others will chime in and provide the educated info!. The grille is a 2A grille but the tub is either one of the remaining war tubs used at the end of the war or the grille changed. The dash and tool boxes says MB! But then, an MB or GPW wouldn't have the fuel fill neck!
I'm dyin to find out what you find out!

Once a Navy man, always a Navy man!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>