Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Modifications from original
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Power Steering - It's Electric!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author

Sponsor Member x 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug. 2020 at 9:54pm
I've been considering installing a steering column Electric Power Steering on my Flattie for some time now. My concern has been that these units were not designed to provide the amount of assist necessary for rock crawling. That said, it seems that if the EPS unit begins to overheat from excessive use it will just provide less assist until it cools off.

I searched the web for anyone who has already tried this conversion and the only thing I could find were Willys Utility series vehicles that didn't seem to be used off road, but they reported good results.

A friend of mine has a GM EPS unit on his CJ-3B and he also reports good results. I'd like to actually drive his CJ-3B for myself before I commit to doing the conversion on mine. Here is his 3B....

pts211 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pts211 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug. 2020 at 9:49pm
Mounting Things Up

With everything fabbed up we did a test fit of the EPAS unit. In the picture below you'll see the left image where we had left too much of the stock steering shaft. The adjustable u-joint shaft would save us in the event we were too short since it extends, but we were right about 2" shy of making it. Andrew had some free time a few days later and cut it down further and welded it back in - now we have the setup on the right. 

Andrew said that he made it as short as he could. The shaft goes becomes solid tube as it enters the gearbox so this is just about as short as we could go without a lot more work.

Lucky for us this length is perfect. We got the system all mounted up and were happy to see it all fits together.

Steering with our pinkies! (First power up!)
Once we had the steering test mounted the time was finally here. We hooked up the electron transport cables and got our first glimpse at if our work might pay off. The result? I think it works!

I think Andrew and Dustin were impressed, even I was surprised. I was confident in it all along, but there's still something special about seeing it actually work, for real. We could steer with no problem on these new tires on rough concrete.

Small details
With a working proof of concept I proceeded to do a few necessary touch ups. I painted the steering column and the gearbox on the EPAS unit. With it painted I think it will blend in to the Jeep really well and be even more hidden. 

A more functional problem was making sure we didn't have a ton of slop on the steering wheel. We needed a bushing at the top of the steering column much like the old one. I ran up tot he robotics shop and made up a bushing to press into the steering wheel/steering column tube so everything was nice and snug.

With the bushing in and everything painted I had a ready the Jeep's EPAS unit ready for final install.

Next up we'll be working to get all the rest of the Jeep back together and wired. I'm hoping to be driving the Jeep on the road and testing the EPAS in the real world in the next few days! Updates to come.
Paul S - son of Ricco
1947 CJ2A - "Walker"

1948 CJ2A a.k.a. "Lumpy" (Dad's Jeep)
pts211 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pts211 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug. 2020 at 4:38pm

I don't have a lot to share specific to the power steering other than - it works! You can see some videos of the Jeep driving on the other thread. I'm very pleased with how the steering feels - as good as some of the modern vehicles I've driven. 

The toggle switch to turn it on and off is excellent, not just for comparing, but also for driving. I find myself turning it off at times when at "high" speeds (40-50) just because it can be a little touchy.

We did a slight off-road test and it is holding up just fine. Of course, I don't have anything around here that compares to the Jeeping I'm used to. I think CFFC will be a great test ground for it, especially over long days. 

I'll update as I have things to share! If you're going to CFFC, I'll see you there. Come talk to me and Andrew - we'll happily show you in person and let you try it for yourself!
Paul S - son of Ricco
1947 CJ2A - "Walker"

oldmansimek View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldmansimek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug. 2020 at 6:48pm

Ill throw this in.  A few years ago I installed electric power steering in my buddies Unimog 404, I believe it was from a Saturn Vue steering column style.  I think he had to buy a controller for it but I could not believe how well it worked on such a big truck with 40" tires, still works great and he is hard on it.

unclemoak View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote unclemoak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep. 2020 at 8:30pm
Originally posted by pts211 pts211 wrote:

I don't have a lot to share specific to the power steering other than - it works! You can see some videos of the Jeep driving on the other thread. I'm very pleased with how the steering feels - as good as some of the modern vehicles I've driven. 

The toggle switch to turn it on and off is excellent, not just for comparing, but also for driving. I find myself turning it off at times when at "high" speeds (40-50) just because it can be a little touchy.

We did a slight off-road test and it is holding up just fine. Of course, I don't have anything around here that compares to the Jeeping I'm used to. I think CFFC will be a great test ground for it, especially over long days. 

I'll update as I have things to share! If you're going to CFFC, I'll see you there. Come talk to me and Andrew - we'll happily show you in person and let you try it for yourself!

I'll definitely be taking a look at this during the FCT.
chasendeer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chasendeer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep. 2020 at 8:40pm
Berry cool!! What are the electrical requirements with this? Just a switched 12v?
Thanks
Jay
Siskiwit View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Siskiwit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep. 2020 at 12:36am
I have looked into doing the electric steering on my Willy’s last year but chickened out for the lack of knowledge. Thanks for the taking the time to document your journey. I’m going to look into doing the same with the Toyota manual box from the ‘90s. I was afraid of the 19:1 gearbox being being too slow for slow motion steering but with the power upgrade I think it will be ok to drive. The on off switch is a great option. Thanks for posting all your progress.  
'48 2a - '46 2a - '54 3b - '70 cj5 and a bunch of accessories.
pts211 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pts211 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep. 2020 at 9:53pm
Originally posted by chasendeer chasendeer wrote:

Berry cool!! What are the electrical requirements with this? Just a switched 12v?
Thanks
Jay

Jay - switched 12v and leads direct* from the battery.

*One tidbit I realized I forgot to document - the switch on the dash is for the 12V enable on the electric motor controller AND to enable a continuous duty solenoid I added on the main power wires coming from the battery. I don't want anything draining the battery with the Jeep off, after some testing I discovered that my particular controller was drawing about 400mA when disabled. Realistically not a big deal, but I put a solenoid in anyways just so I could know that nothing is leaching power when everything is switched off. 

Edited by pts211 - 09 Sep. 2020 at 10:02pm
Paul S - son of Ricco
1947 CJ2A - "Walker"

chasendeer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chasendeer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov. 2020 at 7:23pm
So what is the verdict on this??? How did it do at FCT??
Thanks
Jay
Nick_ View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nick_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov. 2020 at 7:38pm

Thanks
Jay

I'm also very interested!
Stev View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov. 2020 at 9:16pm
So you kept the two weak parts of the CJ2A steering system Geek and added electric assist Thumbs Up- interesting - at least you will be able to suffer the same steering failure as the stock guys and experience the play in the steering for the true old jeep enthusiast experience.

The weak parts are the Ross Steering Box (bushings and pins on the sector shaft) and the bell crank pin that mounts to the frame under the radiator.
Stev
1946 CJ2A Trail Jeep (The Saint), 1948 CJ2A Lefty Restored
pts211 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pts211 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec. 2020 at 4:47pm

Thanks
Jay

Sorry to keep y'all waiting. But verdict is: it. is. awesome!
From scenic drives like Antero to technical trails like Chinamans gulch the power steering worked flawlessly this year. Even though I'm still fully open with stock gearing I was much less stressed on technical trails because I didn't have to worry about my ability to steer quickly and precisely. Not to mention, I could hold on with one arm and steer with another!

Paul S - son of Ricco
1947 CJ2A - "Walker"

pts211 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote pts211 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec. 2020 at 4:48pm
Originally posted by Stev Stev wrote:

So you kept the two weak parts of the CJ2A steering system Geek and added electric assist Thumbs Up- interesting - at least you will be able to suffer the same steering failure as the stock guys and experience the play in the steering for the true old jeep enthusiast experience.

The weak parts are the Ross Steering Box (bushings and pins on the sector shaft) and the bell crank pin that mounts to the frame under the radiator.

Exactly! Gotta keep the purists somewhat happy. Wink I got over the slop years ago when I started driving 2A's. Although it would be nice for it to go away, I'm used to it enough at this point.
Paul S - son of Ricco
1947 CJ2A - "Walker"

jeepsterjim View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeepsterjim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 July 2022 at 7:56pm
Any updates?
Has anyone installed EPS with Saginaw manual steering?
What about turn signals? 
I'm very interested in EPS for my '47 2A which will have manual saginaw.
Thanks, Jim

Jim
CJ-2A - 81299
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12