Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Tech Questions and Answers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

steering shaft woes

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote con2a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: steering shaft woes
    Posted: 31 July 2020 at 3:34pm
I disassembled my steering box and everything inside looks and works great, tolerances are just right.  I cleaned it, installed a new seal sector shaft seal, and reassembled.  When I clamp the steering box to my work bench and rotate the steering shaft, the steering wheel end of the shaft has probably 3/4" wobble.  I took it apart and rolled the shaft on a flat surface, like checking a pool cue stick, and the bend seems to be where the worm gear is attached to the shaft, so I figure it needs replaced.  Thanks for sticking with me that long; here are my questions:

First, it' a 48 cj2a serial number 205,xxx, so it is supposed to have the 41.5" shaft, but it has a 40.5" shaft.  I'm guessing someone has swapped it at some point?

Second, the only shafts I can find for sale are omix-ada.  Searching the forum I ran across a couple of people that said the omix-ada shafts they bought were different from their old shafts, and ran into binding problems.  Should I gamble on an omix-ada, or does anyone know where I can find a different brand?

Other suggestions welcome!
Oldpappy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oldpappy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 July 2020 at 4:43pm
Seems like Crown Automotive has them, or used to. I am fairly sure Omix is not the only choice.

I ended up using the longer version in my CJ2A, and it gives me more belly room under the wheel which was a pleasant surprise. The full length tubes are easier to find new, and only about $20.

If you can't get there in a Jeep you don't need to be there!
Stev View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 July 2020 at 4:51pm
con2A,

I have had a similar shaft issue (destroid the threaded end in a drill removing the steering wheel) and it got me wondering if in 100 years people with this kind of an issue will be replacing the upper shaft.  It is just a section of pipe with some splines and a pipe thread.  If they were not available - I would just make it happen.

Keep them rolling! 
Stev
1946 CJ2A Trail Jeep (The Saint), 1948 CJ2A Lefty Restored
Joe DeYoung View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joe DeYoung Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 July 2020 at 11:07pm
Con2A... why don't you have or original straightened? Any shop with a lathe and a dial indicator should be able to straighten it out pretty well. I do that kind of thing in my shop quit often.
Joe DeYoung
to many jeeps, parts, and accessories to list here, but apparently enough to keep me in trouble with my wife.

con2a View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote con2a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug. 2020 at 2:32am
Originally posted by Joe DeYoung Joe DeYoung wrote:

Con2A... why don't you have or original straightened? Any shop with a lathe and a dial indicator should be able to straighten it out pretty well. I do that kind of thing in my shop quit often.

Joe- that's a great idea. What does that entail? Heat, a press, then turning to make sure it is straight?  The bend is right where the shaft is attached to the worm gear, and I assume those two parts are welded together there but I don't know for sure. I so, might the straightening process compromise that weld?
Joe DeYoung View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joe DeYoung Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug. 2020 at 2:25pm
No heat, or turning. Just rotate and push cold till it's true. Can also use vee blocks and a press as well... cold. I've even used a mill before so that I could control the amount of movement for those straightening operations that required precision.
Joe DeYoung
to many jeeps, parts, and accessories to list here, but apparently enough to keep me in trouble with my wife.

blademaker View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blademaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug. 2020 at 3:30pm
Oldpappy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oldpappy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug. 2020 at 4:05pm
And that is NOS military surplus, so not some import part. QTM is an excellent supplier too I have bought a lot of stuff from them. Matt sells quality parts, and knows what he is talking about.

However, I agree with Joe. If the worm is in good shape I would see about having it straightened. I straightened one years ago and it never gave any trouble afterwards.
If you can't get there in a Jeep you don't need to be there!
con2a View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote con2a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug. 2020 at 11:31pm
Excellent.  I'll call some shops first thing monday am, and if they won't straighten mine, I'll grab that NOS.  Thanks guys.
markcl52 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote markcl52 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug. 2020 at 3:01am
I have a 48 about 10k vehicles younger than yours (215xxx). I have the same problem. I can’t straighten it because the weld of the worm gear to the shaft is not concentric. I ended up putting a slight bend in the shaft to somewhat compensate. Not perfect but much better. I’m going to run it. But it will be a while before i am able to road test it. 

Edited by markcl52 - 02 Aug. 2020 at 3:04am
 Post Reply Post Reply