Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Your Jeep Project
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Colorado CJ3A Ranch Jeep

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CO3A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug. 2020 at 5:06am
Well, looks like the left motor mount broke, so the previous used a long carriage bolt (pointing at the fuel pump) through the rear motor mount hole with a rubber donut to replace the old mount. As the donut mashed, the bolt dug a hole in the bottom of the pump. I actually had to jack the engine up to get the fuel pump out as the bolt was stuck in the pump! 

I attached a picture of the goofy home made motor mount here. Hopefully when I get the engine on new mounts both will line up correctly. 

Anybody have an old pump body laying around they want to sell? I just got a rebuild kit, and I now have a nice parts pump! DM me if so! Also, ordered a good used pulley from RFJP to see whats up with pulley alignment.

(I will remember proper camera orientation one of these days!)

Edited by CO3A - 10 Aug. 2020 at 5:29am
1950 CJ3A
Joe Friday View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joe Friday Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug. 2020 at 6:02am
Well, on a CJ3A that leg on the engine mounting plate should be pointing forward away from the fuel pump, so it's time to check the engine number stamped above and behind the Water pump on the deck of the block to see if its a cj2A or Cj3A engine. Almost looks like the leg was cut off and reversed.

That does suggest your engine may be low enough and far enough forward for the front axle tube to strike the crank pulley.
Flatfender Ben View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flatfender Ben Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug. 2020 at 9:21pm
As mentioned something going on with eng mount ear,Looks like the reason the single bolt was used is because the engine ear isn’t centered with the frame horn pad. 
Just jb weld a dime over the hole in the fuel pumpTongue
1946 cj2a desert dog
1946 cj2a bulldog
1948 cj2a blue jeep
1953 cj3b yard dog
1955 willys wagon
1955 willys pickup
1956 willys pickup boomer
1960 fc 170
1968 jeepster commando
1990 Grand wagoneer
CO3A View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CO3A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug. 2020 at 4:38pm
Yup, looks like the front plate on my engine is for a 2A. I'm going to fab up a little conversion bracket to use until I can scrounge up the correct plate. I got the fuel pump and carb rebuilt. The bowl on the carb is pretty beat up. I assume it had a sticking needle and rather than fix it is was just whacked.

Ben, I used a penny rather than a dime because this is a budget build. 

The engine numbers are as follows. The one by the water pump is 3J27210. The one below the generator is 641087-L-W10 A Nl-CR-N2.

It's got new loafers

Edited by CO3A - 15 Aug. 2020 at 4:48pm
1950 CJ3A
Rockgod1619 View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockgod1619 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug. 2020 at 5:17pm
Nice shoes!  What are they?
'51 CJ3a - Papa Doc (51829)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flatfender Ben Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug. 2020 at 9:00pm
Carb and fuel pump look great!!
Makes cents to use a penny!LOL
Sweet looking tires!
The jeep has a cool look with the old paint. 
1946 cj2a desert dog
1946 cj2a bulldog
1948 cj2a blue jeep
1953 cj3b yard dog
1955 willys wagon
1955 willys pickup
1960 fc 170
1968 jeepster commando
1990 Grand wagoneer
dasvis View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote dasvis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug. 2020 at 11:27pm
I truly think the old flatfender Willys Jeeps look best when they have "used" look to them.
 Freshly painted is nice, but to me old patina looks better
1947 CJ2A #88659 "Rat Patrol"
1953 CJ3A #453-GB1 11266 "Black Beauty"
1964 Thunderbird convertible
..... & one of them moves under it's own power!!
CO3A View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote CO3A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug. 2020 at 3:06pm
The tires are Deestone D503's. They are affordable import tires, but they appear to be very stout, good quality, and were only $100 with free shipping. I would love to get some nice American rubber at some point, but these will work for now. 

I don't plan on painting the jeep as I don't mind the crusty look. I may experiment with paint removal to try to expose the original Potomac gray. 
1950 CJ3A
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockgod1619 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug. 2020 at 3:36pm
Originally posted by CO3A CO3A wrote:

The tires are Deestone D503's. They are affordable import tires, but they appear to be very stout, good quality, and were only $100 with free shipping. I would love to get some nice American rubber at some point, but these will work for now. 

I don't plan on painting the jeep as I don't mind the crusty look. I may experiment with paint removal to try to expose the original Potomac gray. 

Very nice!  Thanks for the info!  I need to find me a set of stock rims somewhere near me.
CO3A View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CO3A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug. 2020 at 3:24am
I have a lead on some descent 2A fenders, but they are an hour and a half away. They are the same as 3A fenders, correct? Is $200 a reasonable price for a pair of fenders that are straight, but need new hat channels? The fenders on the jeep, though lacking any rust, are pretty banged up and have some good cracks in them. 
1950 CJ3A

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flatfender Ben Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug. 2020 at 4:08am
I would just bang the big dents out of the fenders and weld up the cracks.... spend your 3 hrs working them over instead of driving  and save the $200Clap

1946 cj2a desert dog
1946 cj2a bulldog
1948 cj2a blue jeep
1953 cj3b yard dog
1955 willys wagon
1955 willys pickup
1960 fc 170
1968 jeepster commando
1990 Grand wagoneer
Ol' Unreliable View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug. 2020 at 9:40pm
Originally posted by Flatfender Ben Flatfender Ben wrote:

I would just bang the big dents out of the fenders and weld up the cracks.... spend your 3 hrs working them over instead of driving  and save the $200Clap

I agree.  I think $200 for fenders you have to replace the hat channels on anyway is too much.

Also, 2A fenders are different from 3A fenders.  The area where the battery fits is different.  There are pics of the differences somewhere...I don't know where though.

Edited by Ol' Unreliable - 23 Aug. 2020 at 9:43pm
There's a reason it's called Ol' Unreliable
CO3A View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote CO3A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep. 2020 at 5:43pm
I didn't end up getting the fenders as realistically this old timer is never going to be restored other than mechanically and structurally under my watch. 

I've been busy working on the house, but here is what I've gotten checked off the list.

-Drivers floor cleaned and painted and put the gas tank back in. 
-Pulled out the starter and cleaned up the commutator and greased the bushings. 
-Pulled all the wire connections apart from under the dash and cleaned them up. Man, they sure didn't make it easy to get under there. I also took apart and greased the interior of the headlight switch and cleaned the breaker points.
-Replaced the radiator hoses.

I tried firing it up. It runs! Not amazingly, but I'm sure the crusty old plugs are pretty fouled by the oil I put down the cylinders to make sure the rings were free (which created plumes of smoke that I'm sure killed all the mosquitoes within 1/4 mile). I also don't have my metering rod set correctly yet either. I was only able to run it for a minute or so as I realized it was barfing oil from under the oil filter. Looks like a failed oil line I think. I'll replace that, run it a bit more to burn off the oil, then replace the plugs and do a proper tune up. After that, its time to rebuild the brakes. The transmission seems to shift through all the gears and the transfer case also shifts, so hopefully all those need is fresh oil. It's good to live in a semi-arid climate. Not much gets rusted up!

I may or may not pull the tub off this winter. It has multiple busted body mounts and a couple of nasty cracks and I can actually lift the back right corner off the frame. We shall see. That may be too ambitious for my leaky 1920's one car garage and may have to wait for spring when I can work in the driveway. 
1950 CJ3A
RICKG View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RICKG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep. 2020 at 11:02pm
Originally posted by CO3A CO3A wrote:

I
I may or may not pull the tub off this winter. 

Mission Creep!! Tub comes off next thing you know you're sandblasting the frame.. it cannot will not stop!Forever till eternity you will be doomed to seaching for the correct bolt with the special mfr's mark. Dont do it, get it running and drive the danged thing! There i feel better now..
I never met a mule I didn't like!
MC51986 "OD MULE" DOD 01-52
'50 CJ3A "Bucksnort".
Keep 'em Rollin'
CO3A View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CO3A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct. 2020 at 2:03am
I don't plan to go too wild on fixing this one up! I want it going by spring, but I do need to fix those tub mounts at some point. Got it running and up to temperature. Good oil pressure, but it smokes like a steam train. Did a compression test and found 

#1 60 psi
#2 60 psi
#3 60 psi
#4 50 psi

I guess its consistent at least! The low pressure across the board suggests to me that its just worn out as opposed to stuck vales or rings. I had a feeling it was going to be tired, but I was hoping I could at least drive it a bit before cracking the engine open! 
1950 CJ3A
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockgod1619 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct. 2020 at 1:47pm
CO3A, what size did you go with on the D503's? I'm looking at them as an eventual replacement for the tires on the original rims I just picked up. And are you running tubes in them?
CO3A View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CO3A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct. 2020 at 3:01am
The tires are 7.0x15, but my Jeep has the optional 15" rims. 
1950 CJ3A
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockgod1619 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct. 2020 at 3:24am
Gotcha. Thanks for the reply! My rims are 16", 4.5" wide. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>