Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Tech Questions and Answers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Walck's Wiring Harness

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JayBob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Walck's Wiring Harness
    Posted: 22 Aug. 2020 at 6:34am
Previous owner started resto on my 48 2A I bought from him when he gave up a few years ago.  In my 4-5 totes full of old and new parts there is a Walck's wiring harness (for 2 tail lights).  I can't get a reply from Walck's for a wiring diagram request.

My 48 2A is still 6v, and the harness has a yellow and black wire with female bullet connectors for the parking lights.  However, my parking lights only have one wire.  I assume I need to put a male bullet connector on the yellow, but what's up with the black?  Do I need to find a ground for it or just leave it alone?

On second thought, my headlights show yellow for the ground...

I'm so confused...lol.
1948 Willys CJ2A (restoration in progress)
1952 Ford 8N tractor restored
1997 Jeep TJ 265,000 miles, DD and mudder...I like to live dangerously.
smfulle View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smfulle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug. 2020 at 6:41am
That’s probably a harness for turn signals in the parking light using a two filament bulb. Al, the grounds ar through the body.
Stevens View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stevens Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug. 2020 at 12:04pm
Try calling they are old school. E-mail the internet, social media all tht is really a non starter. When I call 90% of the time I speak to Walck himself hes a great guy and will help you. Steve
Steve
48willys View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 48willys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug. 2020 at 2:59pm
I have the instructions from my 46 with the turn signals, sent a pm with pictures.
1946 cj2a #28680
1948 chevy 3800 thriftmaster
1946-50's cj2a-3a farm jeep
1993 yj, aka the yj7
sparky13 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sparky13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug. 2020 at 3:04pm
Call Walck's.  Everytime I called them I talked to Carl. I used their wiring harness with dual tail lights and was very happy with it. He will send you a wiring diagram. Just ask him. 
Mark
1946 CJ2A
jeepdidwhat View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeepdidwhat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug. 2020 at 3:32pm
Originally posted by JayBob JayBob wrote:

My 48 2A is still 6v, and the harness has a yellow and black wire with female bullet connectors for the parking lights.  However, my parking lights only have one wire.

My 47 2A uses yellow wire with black "tick marks" wire for parking lights.
Each parking light has one wire coming out with a bullet male connector on the end.  This male connector goes into a 2-to-1 female connector.  Then, one wire goes from this 2-to-1 connector to the wiring block on the driver fender.

Parking Light L     Parking Light R
          |                            |
          =====        ======
                   |        |
                  V       V
             Female 2-to-1
                       ^
                       |
                       |
                      O

Ring connector for electrical block on passenger fender.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeepdidwhat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug. 2020 at 3:36pm

I used a Walcks wiring harness and it came with the 2-to-1 female bullet connector.
However, the harness did not come with the "bullet to ring" wire to wire it to the fender wiring block.  I had to make that one.

Rus Curtis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Rus Curtis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug. 2020 at 3:49pm
Jay,
Posted a while back, this is a good link to see which colors go where.  The checks and x's at the bottom allow you to toggle and see different circuits (notice the yellow ground for headlights).  If the harness you have sticks to factory colors, you'll be able to trace using this link.  Even if you find different colors, you can still label each to have as a reminder as you install.

My 3B already had 2 filament parking lights and I ordered my harness to plug directly into the turn signal I bought for it.  I still had to figure out how to rewire the sockets.  I've searched here and found multiple threads on how to convert one filament parking lights to handle turn signals.
Rus Curtis
Alabama
1954 CJ3B
Bantam T3-C

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote jeepdidwhat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug. 2020 at 4:04pm

That link gives you a good diagram. 

My 47 CJ2A has the bullet "3 way coupler" like in the diagram, but with a 3 post junction block on the fender in place of the 2 post.

shadow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shadow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug. 2020 at 5:40pm
does your wire look like this
lets go for a rip eh bud

Andy
jgodfrey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jgodfrey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr. 2021 at 6:32pm
I see that this thread sort of trails off.  But I am having a similar issue.  I have an early 46 2A that currently has giant blinkers hung on the outside of the grill.  At first glance they look normal, but I want to take it back to original.

So I ordered a Walck's wiring harness with the wires for turn signals.  I also ordered the column blinker assembly.  But when I got to looking at the harness I realized it was single wire - no signals.

So I called Walck's and while I usually get Carl this time I didn't.  He was super helpful, but the resolution was to change the socket and add a wire.  I don't have this kind of wire and would have no idea where to get a filament that would work as a parking light and a blinker.

I wanted to buy the bullet-shaped parking lights that mount to a shelf on the inside of the grill.  That means pulling that socket out and changing it.

Has anyone done this?

Thanks
uncamoney View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uncamoney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr. 2021 at 6:44pm
As has been said, get to know the people at your parts store, hardware store and dare I say it lumber yard.
It has all been covered, do a search.
john
SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr. 2021 at 8:02pm
Kind of surprised that Walck's didn't exchange your wiring harness for the one you ordered...unless you didn't mention that you wanted parking lights AND turn signals.

Depending on whether your jeep has a 6 or 12 volt system will be the difference on which parts you shop for.

For the 12 Volt system: Visit your local FLAPS and get a couple of 1157 or 1157A bulbs (if you want amber) and tell the friendly person behind the sales counter that you want the matching lamp socket for the 1157 bulbs. You will need about 15 feet of 14 gauge wire. The are going to sell you a 25 foot roll.

For the 6 volt system: Ask the friendly person behind the counter (back in the day he or she would have been a counterman) for the 6 volt equivalent to an 1157 bulb (the number for 6 volt escapes my memory). The socket would be the same as a 12 volt one. On 6 volt I would go with 12 gauge wire instead of 14 gauge, but that might be overkill.

When you get parts home you are going to have to take the old lamp socket out of the housing and install the new lamp socket in the housing. The new socket and the larger lamp will go into the housing but it will be a tight fit. Make sure when you are connecting the wiring that you pick the one that lights the brighter of the two filaments in the lamp to the turn signal circuit. Test this with a battery before you go further and mark the brighter lead with tape temporarily. Connections are best soldered. Use a rosin core solder only. You can insulate the soldered connections with electrical tape but heat shrink tubing is a better choice. Make sure which lamp circuit goes to the correct places in the turn signal wiring before doing any soldering.

Have fun!

AND, thank you for removing the giant "blinkers" off the grill. I always thought that looked kind of ignorant. I'm kind of a "resto" kind of guy.

Edited by SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A - 01 Apr. 2021 at 8:07pm
46 CJ-2A #64462 "Ol' Red" (bought April 1969)(second owner)(12 V, 11" brakes, M-38 frame, MD Juan tub)

U.S. Coast Guard Chief Petty Officer(ret.)
U.S. Army Vietnam veteran and damned proud of it.

jgodfrey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jgodfrey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr. 2021 at 10:37pm
My wiring harness is for blinkers (sorry, in reading that back it was confusing, but I have the correct harness.  The parking light housing has one wire, no the harness), but I still have the problem of what that will be connected to. In this case the housing they sell, the bullet-shaped enclosed light, only has one wire.  So Walck's told me that in order to get that to work I would need to pull that assembly and add one that includes wires for a two-filament bulb.  Which would be to use the method you outline above.  Thanks for that.

Edited by jgodfrey - 01 Apr. 2021 at 10:53pm
uncamoney View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uncamoney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr. 2021 at 12:13am
Actually, the base of the socket will accept 2 types of connections, single contact or 2. Same size.
john
SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr. 2021 at 1:15am
Originally posted by uncamoney uncamoney wrote:

Actually, the base of the socket will accept 2 types of connections, single contact or 2. Same size.

They may be the same base size, however the base used for the 1157 series dual-filament lamp is indexed so that the bulb can't be put in the wrong way. The original single filament lamp socket isn't constructed that way.
46 CJ-2A #64462 "Ol' Red" (bought April 1969)(second owner)(12 V, 11" brakes, M-38 frame, MD Juan tub)

U.S. Coast Guard Chief Petty Officer(ret.)
U.S. Army Vietnam veteran and damned proud of it.

Bob W View Drop Down

Sponsor Member x 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr. 2021 at 11:08am
Try an 1158 bulb for 6 volt or an 1176 bulb for 12 volt. These two bulbs are dual filament but are not indexed with the pins.
schoolbuilder View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote schoolbuilder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr. 2021 at 9:37pm
If anyone has removed the new single-wires w/bulb sockets from their Walck’s bullet-style parking lights, I’d be interested in buying them from you.  I want to replace my wires all the way to the socket and cannot find anywhere to buy them.

Thanks,
Shaun
Schoolbuilder
New Ashford, MA
'46 CJ2A #17033
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>