Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Your Jeep Project
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Very rough 1948

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote duffer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep. 2020 at 4:30pm
I made the body mounts for my 3B out of this material:

I drilled it on the lathe but that probably isn't necessary for this application.  It was cut to length in a 12" Makita miter saw with a fine tooth (80) blade.

The obvious advantage is you can make them any thickness you want.
1955 3B: 441sbc,AGE 4 speed transmission, Teralow D18w/Warn OD, 4.11:1 D44's/ARB's, glass tub & fenders, aluminum hood/grill, 8274, York OBA, Premier Power Welder; 67 CJ5: 225,T86AA, D18, 4.88's, OD
rocnroll View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocnroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep. 2020 at 8:34pm
Rubber boat trailer roller...slice it like sausage, whatever thickness you desire.

'47 CJ2A PU
'48 CJ2A Lefty

"Common sense is not that common"
Steve.. View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve.. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep. 2020 at 3:25am
Thank you all for the tips on the body mount pads! 

As far as fitting the tub to the frame, fenders and grill.
I ended up cutting the lip off the bottom of the fenders. I tried ovalling the holes in the fenders in an attempt to lower the tub closer to the frame. It moved a little but I was beginning to affect the fender to tub alignment too much. After I cut the lip off everything lined up much nicer. I didn't have to get the pry bars out to bolts things together. 

Thanks
Steve

Thanks for your help!
48walker View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 48walker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep. 2020 at 4:49am
Hi Steve, congratulations on getting your Jeep. If I saw your zip code right, I only live about 60 miles from you, if you need a hand with something, let me know (I mean, once the epidemic's over). I'm no mechanic, but I can lift heavy things and drop tools pretty good. And just so happens I have a 48 lefty that came out of northern Wisconsin, maybe my Jeep was parked next to your Jeep at some point.
Steve.. View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve.. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep. 2020 at 2:54pm
48walker, 

Its good to know there's another 48 lefty near by. I'm not 100% sure that I'll rebuild it as a lefty or not. The willys lean has me giving this lots of thought.  
One good thing I have figured out about the Willys, When a tool is dropped they always hit the ground! No plastic pans for them to get caught in. 

I don't know where mine originally was sold from but in 1975 it was bought from a guy just north of Clintonville.  

Thanks
Steve
Thanks for your help!
uncamoney View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uncamoney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep. 2020 at 3:49pm
Just so you keep your foot out of the way. Years ago, as a teen I dropped the rear main bearing cap on my toe. I was in a few  weeks back for x-rays on that foot.The doctor asked me if I  knew that I had broken my toe
john
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12