Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Your Jeep Project
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

WellFedHobo's '48 CJ2A project (#158011)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1617181920 31>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WellFedHobo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan. 2023 at 8:24pm
I picked up a spare T90 case from TerryB, which was awesome since he was local and I don't know that Little Rock has much of a vintage Jeeper population that I've been able to find. (I also got a skid plate in the deal, which my Jeep didn't come with. Very glad to have one now. Gives me some more off-road potential once I finish the shakedowns.

It has a date stamp of 12-1-47 whereas mine has a date stamp of 11-26-47, so it's five days newer. Doesn't really matter at this point but I thought it was cool to have something close to "correct" to put back into the Jeep.

It sat out in a shed for a while with a mouse nest in it so the cluster gear and reverse idler are pretty much guaranteed to be toast. But that's ok since this is meant to replace my cracked case anyways and I have all new internals (with a whopping 10 miles on them so far). I'll just swap over all of the internals to this one at some point. 

The new T90 case got hosed down with Lysol, vacuumed out, stripped down, and soaked in Evaporust for over 48 hours. The cold didn't help the chemistry do its magic very fast but it cleaned up really well for a low effort soak and a scrub with a Scotch Brite pad afterwards. (Though it flash rusted very rapidly.)

With the heavy rust gone, I've already put it in the blasting cabinet and cleaned it up, primed it, and painted it. It just needs some finish work. The machined surfaces need to be cleaned back up, especially the two where the thrust washers sit inside between the case and the cluster gear. I may have to finely sand them or stone them down. 

In the past I dreaded rebuilding the T90. Now that I've had to do it 5 times to find the right mix of parts, I've learned to enjoy it and am actually looking forward to the eventual swap of all the internals to this slightly newer case. 

I also got a new cork gasket in for the dipstick. The old one disintegrated as I removed it. The new one actually fits tighter and feels like it "locks", though I still have the wire in place to hold it there. It's been cold, rainy, and blah in Little Rock so I haven't taken it out since then. But dad and I got the passenger seatbelt installed so there's a slight safety increase. 

The one thing that's bugging the heck out of me is not so much the lack of a top and a heater, but the suspension. The passenger front spring is collapsed from a hard landing long ago, and the passenger rear spring is similarly collapsed but not nearly as bad as the front. It makes the Jeep lean noticeably when parked. It evens out visually when the drivers seat is occupied but the suspension is just shot. That'll likely be a focus to overhaul this year.
Brad
1948 CJ2A #158011 "Sunk Cost Fallacy"
1945 T3-C #1431
dasvis View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dasvis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan. 2023 at 10:16pm
I may have some leaf spring bushings left over. 
TBD, will advise once I tear the black beauty should know them. 
Depends on what the PO replaced on it. 
1947 CJ2A #88659 "Rat Patrol"
1953 CJ3A #453-GB1 11266 "Black Beauty"
1964 Thunderbird convertible
..... & one of them moves under it's own power!!
WellFedHobo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WellFedHobo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan. 2023 at 9:56pm
The spare transmission case came back to life nicely. Took a bit of media blasting and paint and polishing, and it's not perfect by far, but it should do alright. 

I had to smooth out some rough spots on the inside where the thrust washers sit between the cluster gear and case but hopefully that won't mess with my end play too much when I swap transmission internals. Worst case, I guess I have to spend another hour with the WorkSharp sanding the surfaces down to get the right thickness. 
Brad
1945 T3-C #1431

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WellFedHobo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb. 2023 at 4:15pm
It was a strangely nice day for February, 66 degrees this afternoon, a week after an ice storm... So I decided to take the Jeep out to the car wash. It was a mostly uneventful drive this time around, though I have noticed a "new" noise coming from the rear of the Jeep. It only happens when I let my foot off the accelerator pedal. Kind of a grinding/rattling noise. I thought it might be the tailgate just rattling but it happens at pretty much any speed. Makes me think the ring gear and pinion are just not happy to be back in service after 30 years of rest from 40 years of hard use. The "drive" seems fine, but the "coast" is very much not fine. Seems like I may need to plan to rebuild the rear axle or rebuild another on the side to swap in later.
Brad
1945 T3-C #1431

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote WellFedHobo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb. 2023 at 11:50am
Here's the latest video. The weird grinding noise is somewhere after the 6:00 mark when I'm driving around town. 

I'm actually starting to wonder if it's the tailgate at least partially. The previous owner does have this random spring on the tailgate holding it to the hinge... 

Brad
1945 T3-C #1431
Ron D View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Ron D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb. 2023 at 1:29pm
Some dipsticks have a baffle crimped about halfway up the stick to keep oil from migrating up the tube.

Couldn't hear the rattle noise over the music and background noise.

Edited by Ron D - 10 Feb. 2023 at 1:30pm
1951 M38
1951 M100

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WellFedHobo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb. 2023 at 1:36pm
Mine has an indentation like it used to have that baffle but it seems to be long gone. (Wasn't in the oil pan either.) 

It's clearest right around 7:39 in the video. Just driving along and then you hear the unhappy sounds. 

Brad
1945 T3-C #1431
Steelyard Blues View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steelyard Blues Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb. 2023 at 3:01pm
Originally posted by Ron D Ron D wrote:

Some dipsticks have a baffle crimped about halfway up the stick to keep oil from migrating up the tube.

Ron,
You have a good eye. I asked this same question several pages back and got no response. Seeing the video confirmed my suspicion. I was going to point it out, again, but, you beat me to it. 

The function of the baffle is to stop the very problem you are having.

Micah
1947 CJ2A 106327, Engine J109205, Tub 97077. Luzon Red

https://www.thecj2apage.com/forums/steelyard-blues_topic41024_post397981.html?KW=micah+movie#397981

1965 Johnson Furnace Company M416 #6-1577

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WellFedHobo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb. 2023 at 3:37pm
Originally posted by Steelyard Blues Steelyard Blues wrote:

I asked this same question several pages back and got no response. Seeing the video confirmed my suspicion. I was going to point it out, again, but, you beat me to it. 

The function of the baffle is to stop the very problem you are having.

Micah

Guess I missed it. Looks like I need to find a sacrificial nickel or something to make a new one.
Brad
1945 T3-C #1431

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WellFedHobo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb. 2023 at 1:50pm
It looks like I might have had two issues with the radiator spraying everywhere. The radiator cap had just celebrated too many birthdays and wasn't doing what it needed to do. But just like the radiator drain petcock was clogged up with a dirt dauber nest, so was the drain tube. Pressure built up and had nowhere to escape except through the weak radiator cap. I snaked some wire through it and cleared most of it. Hopefully steam will do the rest. 

I've done what Jeep owners do and spent some more money... This time on a full suspension overhaul kit. New leaf springs, new U bolts and nuts and bushings and everything. Not quite sure how I'll install it all yet. The Bantam trailer was easy because the trailer was upside down at the time. I might have to pick up some beefier jack stands to support the frame while the little ones support the axle. 

This whole "single income, no kids" life is working out really well for this geriatric Jeep. It has all the support it needs.
Brad
1945 T3-C #1431

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WellFedHobo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb. 2023 at 5:28pm
Since I lack a significant other... Why not spend a bunch of money on a Valentines Day gift for the Jeep? It may be a rust bucket, but here's a suspension overhaul! (If FedEx will find the missing leaf spring... I got shipment 1, 3, and 4. Spring #2 is still out there somewhere.

Brad
1945 T3-C #1431
Flatfender Ben View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flatfender Ben Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb. 2023 at 5:49pm
Happy valentine’s day to your jeep!
1946 cj2a desert dog
1946 cj2a bulldog
1948 cj2a blue jeep
1953 cj3b yard dog
1955 willys wagon
1955 willys pickup
1956 willys pickup boomer
1960 fc 170
1968 jeepster commando
1990 Grand wagoneer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WellFedHobo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb. 2023 at 5:49pm
Leaf spring #2 showed up today a little worse for wear. It'll probably need a fresh coat of paint before I put it on.
Brad
1945 T3-C #1431

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WellFedHobo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb. 2023 at 8:46pm
I realized that I never really stop to take pictures of the Jeep outside of the garage so here's a few.

August of 2020 when it was dropped off in front of the house:

Today after a Starbucks trip:

"Grandpa Jeep is tired of this sh*t"

It's so little! Those 6.00x16 tires look like nothing compared to anything else in that lot. 

I'm having a really frustrating time with the fuel system. It's not running well, I can barely get it to idle and it still idles high no matter what I do with the adjustment screw. It made it down the hills of the neighborhood to get to a local Starbucks just to say, hey, it does beer runs AND coffee runs, but it nearly choked going up the hills to get back to the house. And it actually did choke trying to get up the hill into the garage. It also hardly wants to run without choke. I theorize that there's a vacuum leak around the gasket where the nuts have backed off the manifold studs again but I'm out of brake cleaner to test that theory so I'll probably jump straight to tightening nuts next time I'm out there.

I also need to remember that it's nearly out of gas and that it doesn't get comparable fuel economy to my Honda CRV... 
Brad
1945 T3-C #1431
Ron D View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ron D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb. 2023 at 9:02pm
I'm pretty sure he's not complaining.
1951 M38
1951 M100

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WellFedHobo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar. 2023 at 1:31pm
I'm still struggling to get the Jeep to idle where it should and to stop requiring the choke to stay running. I've tightened down the manifold nuts so there's no vacuum leak there, made sure the plug on the intake manifold is tight, made sure the nuts that hold the carb onto the intake manifold are tight, and given it a spray of brake cleaner to test for a vacuum leak. No leaks that I can find so far. I've been playing with the mix screw, starting with tightening it down all the way and backing it off 1.5 turns, then playing with it +/- a quarter turn. Doesn't seem to have much effect. The heat riser flap doesn't close fully because I reused the original spring on the counter weight and I think maybe I shouldn't have. But when I manually close the riser, it has no effect. 

I haven't touched the ignition system outside of a new 12v coil, plugs and wires, new ignition switch, and new wiring. The cap and rotor were cleaned by the guy who pulled it out of the barn and they seem to be fine. (Like they were new 30 years ago when parked.) Points are 30 years old but were cleaned and work. I do have a replacement cap, rotor, points, and condenser to throw at it but I haven't yet because it feels like I haven't gotten the fuel side of things right. 

I also haven't touched the timing yet. I'm trying to focus on dialing in one thing at a time so I don't muddy the waters. I don't know that I could get the distributor to spin if I had to though. I still need to get a timing light. That's one tool I haven't added to my arsenal yet. 

Here's a video for reference. Thoughts on the next steps?

Brad
1945 T3-C #1431

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote WellFedHobo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar. 2023 at 6:47pm
The plot thickens, like the time I didn't read that beef stew recipe for comprehension and added way too much corn starch... 

I haven't been paying attention to my distributor cap and rotor that much because they worked, but I did just swap out the cap and rotor, realizing too late that the distributor is 180 degrees out from factory spec. A few backfires later and it's right again, though not very well insulated apparently. I touched the distributor cap while the engine was running and got a pretty nasty shock. 

Swapping the cap and rotor had no effect, but I had hoped it would because of the amount of corrosion on the outside contacts of the cap. Seems like it would have explained the missing from the video. It's about time to pull the fender off so I can hope I can see the flywheel timing marks and have it at TDC. I didn't pay that much attention when I installed the flywheel So it's either right or it's 180 degrees off. I've been referencing that "L134-timing" PDF that's been around the forum for awhile, just need to reference it more carefully.

It does finally idle a bit lower, but if you just let it sit there idling for a bit, the RPMs will get lower and lower and it sounds like it backfires a couple times through the carb and dies (though I have the air horn over the carb). Really starting to indicate more and more that it's a timing issue, not a fuel issue. I pulled the plugs though, and as expected they were pretty black and sooty. 
Brad
1945 T3-C #1431
JohnB View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar. 2023 at 10:17pm
I had a hairline crack on the front ear on my intake manifold that was my problem and couldn’t find until I removed the manifolds and could closely inspect. After repairing the crack my vacuum issues went away and ran off choke and idled correctly. Good luck finding your issue. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1617181920 31>