Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Your Jeep Project
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

WellFedHobo's '48 CJ2A project (#158011)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1819202122 31>
Author
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar. 2023 at 12:13am
File a little notch on the inside pulley much less likely to rub off. Then make a pointer that corresponds to it.
Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
Late 50's 134L 9.25"clutch T90A D18 (1.25") D44/30 flanged E-Locker D25 5.38 Since 1962
Bill2A View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill2A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar. 2023 at 9:47am
Once you have a notch, you can use a tooth pick to paint inside the notch to make it way easier to see.
1946 CJ2A 14098
Ron D View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ron D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar. 2023 at 12:42pm
Originally posted by WellFedHobo WellFedHobo wrote:

It seems that it might just be a CJ2A pulley after all. One side is slightly larger, though the front of the pully is somewhat bent up. I bent it back as best I could while the engine was out of the Jeep. It's definitely the same pulley in both pictures. Paint and a pair of pliers can do wonders. (Plus I was too lazy to remove it to begin with.)

I might just take the easy way out on this one. I need to replace the oil pan because what's on there is too bent and leaky to continue using and I already have a new one. While I have the pan off, I can visually rotate it to TDC from below, add the timing indicator as suggested, and paint a mark on the pulley while I'm at it.

I don't recommend re-using a bent pulley.
Walcks sells the proper CJ pulley: https://walcks4wd.com/Crankshaft-Pulley-Single-Groove-L-F-Head-4-Cylinder_p_902.html

You'll need one anyway if you want to fix your wrong size belt situation.

Good advice to file a timing notch on the pulley.
If all you do is paint a mark it'll soon be gone.

Good luck!

Edited by Ron D - 08 Mar. 2023 at 12:44pm
1951 M38
1951 M100
WellFedHobo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WellFedHobo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr. 2023 at 7:58pm
Did a bit more work on the Jeep today. Dad and I got the PCV replaced. (Turns out, there WAS a vacuum leak from the PCV fitting that I had apparently partially stripped...) After that, I tried to adjust the idle stop screw a bit. The thing actually idled down! Sounded about as healthy as it ever had. But the throttle linkage rod that connects to the pedal was set too far forward so it couldn't idle down fully. Tried to loosen the nuts and it snapped the threaded part in half. Confused One trip to the hardware store later, I came back with some 3/16ths steel rod. After some trial and error, we manufactured a new rod with a threaded end got it back to where it was, but it actually ran worse?! How frustrating. 

At least the vacuum leak is gone and it doesn't die at idle. Though the idle is still as rough as ever.
Brad
1948 CJ2A #158011 "Sunk Cost Fallacy"
1945 T3-C #1431

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WellFedHobo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr. 2023 at 5:39pm
It runs worse than ever now.

I replaced the points and condenser. The eccentric is incapable of tightening the points gap more than .025. I have no idea why because this is my first vehicle with points ignition. I can rotate the eccentric quite a ways further open, but it won't close any further than .025 and it's likely more than that because my feeler gauge set only goes up to .025. The old points were worn but not completely bad. I'm about to just put them back on at this point.
Brad
1945 T3-C #1431
outlw21 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote outlw21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr. 2023 at 11:50pm
I would be tempted to take .003 off the cam follower on the point set with the wife's fingernail file or other suitable tool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WellFedHobo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr. 2023 at 6:49pm
Wouldn't shaving some material off of the follower cause it to open more?
Brad
1945 T3-C #1431
dasvis View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dasvis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr. 2023 at 7:46pm
What do you think about going to the Pertronics ignition setup & ditch the points?
 To each their own, but after many years of constantly dicking with points I have converted all of my antiques to electronic. 
No regrets. 
 I understand many like to keep stuff all original, but this change is mostly unseen. 
1947 CJ2A #88659 "Rat Patrol"
1953 CJ3A #453-GB1 11266 "Black Beauty"
1964 Thunderbird convertible
..... & one of them moves under it's own power!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WellFedHobo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr. 2023 at 7:50pm
I was actually trying to figure out which Pertronix to buy yesterday...
Brad
1945 T3-C #1431
Bruce W View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr. 2023 at 8:20pm
  I still have points in all of my jeeps, my ‘47 Farmall, my ‘70 C10 and my ‘64 El Camino (two sets). They all work fine and give me no trouble. Maybe the difference is, I dont “dick” with them. I know what I’m doing and they are set up right. Then they run for many years with no problems. And I dont carry any spares “just in case”, as seems to be the practice for users of Pertronix. 
BW 
It is NOT a Jeep Willys! It is a Willys jeep.

Happy Trails! Good-bye, Good Luck, and May the Good Lord Take a Likin' to You!

We Have Miles to Jeep, Before We Sleep.
dasvis View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dasvis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr. 2023 at 9:08pm
As I said Bruce, to each their own. 

You do have a manual , right?
1947 CJ2A #88659 "Rat Patrol"
1953 CJ3A #453-GB1 11266 "Black Beauty"
1964 Thunderbird convertible
..... & one of them moves under it's own power!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WellFedHobo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr. 2023 at 9:12pm
Well, that's the difference, I guess. I grew up with computer controlled vehicles. This is the first thing with points that I've ever worked on. I don't know what I'm doing, but I'm sure trying to figure it out. I really wish any of you guys lived around Central Arkansas because I'd love to have any kind of local resource that could tell me what I'm missing on this Jeep. It runs like garbage right now and I don't think I could get it down the driveway, much less out for a beer run. 

The vacuum leak is fixed. The air/fuel mix screw was reset to its basic starting position. The idle set screw is set to where it SHOULD idle down around 750 but it doesn't. It misses when it starts to idle down. I've replaced plugs, wires, cap, rotor, points, condenser, coil, the entire wiring harness, even the ignition and starter relay. The battery is strong and the alternator charges it. It even has ethanol free gas. Aside from the timing maybe being off, I'm out of things to check. But I don't think the timing is off because when it was running better, it had plenty of power. 
Brad
1945 T3-C #1431
Bruce W View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr. 2023 at 10:11pm
Originally posted by dasvis dasvis wrote:

You do have a manual , right?

Absolutely. Several copies, so I dont have to go far to find one. And I know the manual from front to back, but I’m not afraid to look something up to double-check it. 
  Yep. To each his own. 
BW 
It is NOT a Jeep Willys! It is a Willys jeep.

Happy Trails! Good-bye, Good Luck, and May the Good Lord Take a Likin' to You!

We Have Miles to Jeep, Before We Sleep.
SlaterDoc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SlaterDoc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr. 2023 at 12:57pm
If you decide on finally buying a welder, I have a suggestion. I bought a YES WELDER that has Mig/Tig/Stick. I had someone that had experience welding use it on a backhoe we were repairing and he loved it! He was quite impressed with it. I haven't had the chance to use it yet. That time is fast approaching! But if I go with the opinion I already have, I expect an easy time of it! It costs me under $200. I'll only be using it in it's MIG function!

Edited by SlaterDoc - 04 Apr. 2023 at 1:05pm
Once a Navy man, always a Navy man!
bight View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr. 2023 at 7:35pm
that welder looks pretty cool. i have a nice Lincoln 220 but have been looking for a 110 unit. this might be the ticket. 
CJ-2A 72586 tan (stock)
CJ-2A 197624 green (resto-mod)
the wife abides (def: to bear patiently; TOLERATE)
Agas46cj View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Agas46cj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr. 2023 at 7:52pm
I have the yes welder mig 250 pro. I love it. I’ve welded 1/2” in one pass and all 45 patches of steel on my cj. It does everything I need it to and more. I like that it will also do aluminum as I like to weld aluminum, I weld a lot of aluminum at work. The only downside is that it’s lift tig dc only. I wish it did ac tig for aluminum and had a foot pedal or thumb switch for arc control. I’ve gotten a co worker to get the same welder as myself and he loves it too. Get a mixed gas cylinder 75% argon 25% CO2 and do gas mig welding, don’t even bother with flux core, it’s messy and doesn’t weld that great. Good choice on a welder. 

Edited by Agas46cj - 04 Apr. 2023 at 7:53pm
Flatfender Ben View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flatfender Ben Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr. 2023 at 10:09pm
Originally posted by WellFedHobo WellFedHobo wrote:

Well, that's the difference, I guess. I grew up with computer controlled vehicles. This is the first thing with points that I've ever worked on. I don't know what I'm doing, but I'm sure trying to figure it out. I really wish any of you guys lived around Central Arkansas because I'd love to have any kind of local resource that could tell me what I'm missing on this Jeep. It runs like garbage right now and I don't think I could get it down the driveway, much less out for a beer run. 

The vacuum leak is fixed. The air/fuel mix screw was reset to its basic starting position. The idle set screw is set to where it SHOULD idle down around 750 but it doesn't. It misses when it starts to idle down. I've replaced plugs, wires, cap, rotor, points, condenser, coil, the entire wiring harness, even the ignition and starter relay. The battery is strong and the alternator charges it. It even has ethanol free gas. Aside from the timing maybe being off, I'm out of things to check. But I don't think the timing is off because when it was running better, it had plenty of power. 
Try putting the old condenser back in?
I’ve had new ones be junk out of the box!
Also try a different set of points sounds like maybe the new set isn’t correct if it doesn’t adjust fully?
1946 cj2a desert dog
1946 cj2a bulldog
1948 cj2a blue jeep
1953 cj3b yard dog
1955 willys wagon
1955 willys pickup
1956 willys pickup boomer
1960 fc 170
1968 jeepster commando
1990 Grand wagoneer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WellFedHobo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr. 2023 at 10:31pm
I'm actually beginning to suspect the distributor itself. When I pull the rotor, it has a lot of slop. I have no basis for comparison, but its wobbly. 

The odometer on the dash did have 86K on it before it broke who knows when...

Edited by WellFedHobo - 04 Apr. 2023 at 11:25pm
Brad
1945 T3-C #1431
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1819202122 31>