Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Your Jeep Project
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

WellFedHobo's '48 CJ2A project (#158011)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1516171819 31>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan. 2023 at 11:16pm
  Kaiser-Willys. It figures. Don’t tell me, let me guess - Omix-ADA?
BW 
It is NOT a Jeep Willys! It is a Willys jeep.

Happy Trails! Good-bye, Good Luck, and May the Good Lord Take a Likin' to You!

We Have Miles to Jeep, Before We Sleep.
Steelyard Blues View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steelyard Blues Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan. 2023 at 11:36pm
Are you blowing out oil at the top of the cap or down where the tube inserts into the block?

Is your PCV valve working?

I didn't see anymore discussion on the parking brake. The replacement backing plate fix the problem?

Micah

Edited by Steelyard Blues - 14 Jan. 2023 at 11:37pm
1947 CJ2A 106327, Engine J109205, Tub 97077. Luzon Red

https://www.thecj2apage.com/forums/steelyard-blues_topic41024_post397981.html?KW=micah+movie#397981

1965 Johnson Furnace Company M416 #6-1577
WellFedHobo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WellFedHobo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan. 2023 at 10:15am
Originally posted by Bruce W Bruce W wrote:

Kaiser-Willys. It figures. Don’t tell me, let me guess - Omix-ADA?
BW 

Yep. The horn they sell is Omix. That's why I bought a replacement Joe's Motor Pool horn. Much more satisfying. 10/10, do recommend. But the speedometer? Also Omix. Speedo cable? Omix. But so far it seems to be working fine. Omix gets a lot of flak due to poor QC but some of their stuff is fine. No complaints about the T90 main shaft or first gear, or reverse idler gear. No complaints about the D18 sliding gear, intermediate gear, input gear, etc. The D18 is working perfectly with a bunch of Omix internals. (I just had to give it two tries because the first sliding gear was dented like it was dropped at the factory and then heat treated that way.)

Originally posted by Steelyard Blues Steelyard Blues wrote:

Are you blowing out oil at the top of the cap or down where the tube inserts into the block?

Is your PCV valve working?

I didn't see anymore discussion on the parking brake. The replacement backing plate fix the problem?

Yes, the new (old) backing plate fixed the problem. I went into that a bit more on YouTube. When I got to compare the original repaired one to a used one, there was an obvious bend from past damage/repair, like someone hit a rock pretty bad and just bent it back into shape.

The PCV valve is clear. It was plugged when we first started but it was cleaned up in the early days of the project when we just wanted to get it running. 

It's blasting oil out of the top of the cap as best I can tell. There's oil everywhere including where the tube inserts into the block but it looks like it's running down the side of the block too. It's only 37 out there but I might go out and try to do some oil cleanup...
Brad
1948 CJ2A #158011 "Sunk Cost Fallacy"
1945 T3-C #1431
Steelyard Blues View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steelyard Blues Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan. 2023 at 2:58pm
Obviously, you should not have oil coming out of the cap. There is something not correct somewhere. I asked about the PCV to see if you were building up pressure in the block and pushing the oil out. If your PCV is working correctly, then this should not be the cause. 

Is the metal diffuser disk in place on the dipstick?

Having the blue smoke on downshift sounds like a bunch of oil getting sucked up into the carb. 

As to where the tube enters the block, these are a press fit. Sometimes, the tube gets crushed and is no longer large enough to have an adequate press fit to make the seal. I believe some have used a large socket to get it back to the proper diameter. You can also use some Permatex #2. I would not suggest silicone if you ever want to get it out again. 

Micah
1947 CJ2A 106327, Engine J109205, Tub 97077. Luzon Red

https://www.thecj2apage.com/forums/steelyard-blues_topic41024_post397981.html?KW=micah+movie#397981

1965 Johnson Furnace Company M416 #6-1577
rocnroll View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocnroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan. 2023 at 6:05pm
First things first.....are you sure the oil level is correct?

'47 CJ2A PU
'48 CJ2A Lefty

"Common sense is not that common"

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WellFedHobo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan. 2023 at 10:36pm
Originally posted by rocnroll rocnroll wrote:

First things first.....are you sure the oil level is correct?

Well, it's half a quart low now... 
Brad
1945 T3-C #1431

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WellFedHobo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan. 2023 at 7:20pm
If anyone wants to see how the first drive in this rig went, millennial driver learning a stick shift and all, here's the video.

Brad
1945 T3-C #1431
Bruce W View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan. 2023 at 8:08pm
  Not bad, not bad. Sounds like it might still be idling a bit fast, but videos seem to make Go-Devils sound noisier than they are. To me anyway. Also sounds and looks like you need to learn how to Eeeaasse out on the clutch pedal, dont just takeyourfootoff
It’ll come to you. Nice work. 
BW 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WellFedHobo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan. 2023 at 8:13pm

Also sounds and looks like you need to learn how to Eeeaasse out on the clutch pedal, dont just takeyourfootoff
It’ll come to you. Nice work. 
BW 

You are absolutely correct. I didn't quite grasp that until the second and third drive around the block. It was a brand new clutch and I might have given it a rough time while trying to learn.
Brad
1945 T3-C #1431

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WellFedHobo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan. 2023 at 10:42pm
So after looking at the cables on the carb I think I was able to reproduce what happened. Wish I'd taken a picture, I can't words today. The accelerator cable was likely the culprit. The cable was never quite right thanks to bubba in the past. Long story short, I made an adjustment and it doesn't seem sticky in a way that the cable would keep the throttle open a little bit anymore. That's the hope. At least I had already bought a replacement as the original one was seized and bent in the past but I was able to get it freed up in the early days of the project.

Now I need to pull the transmission floor cover and look into the inspection window on the bell housing to see if it's oily inside or something. I theorize that the smoke was just burning clutch from the accelerator not being let off. (Like about having your feet on all 3 pedals at once while trying to downshift from 3rd to 2nd at around 40 MPH. That won't end well, and seems to fit.) But the smoke could also just as easily be due to a lot of crankcase pressure blowing oil through the PCV at higher RPMs like the engine was subjected to when I downshifted while approaching an intersection.

This is why we do shakedown runs, I guess. A four mile round trip beer run on some back roads might have been ambitious for the 3rd drive ever. I am rethinking my next bad idea, which was a local cars and coffee meetup that's a 6 mile round trip this weekend, involving a 5 lane main road/highway.

The oil seems strangely nasty for having only 6 miles plus some idle time on it. I appear to have a ton of blow by, which is weird since the compression test from awhile back showed 125-120-115-115 across cylinders 1-4. Wouldn't think the cylinders would be leaky with good compression but I guess I'm used to modern engines with much tighter tolerances. Though I do recall the cylinder walls being pretty smooth when I was looking at them from the underside of the block while it was out of the engine. 

I really don't want to do this... But I'm toying with the idea of pulling the engine back out, pulling the crank and pistons, and doing a dingle ball hone while checking ring clearances. Might be too early to even consider but it's a thought. 

I'd hate to sign myself up for that much work when I just got it driving.
Brad
1945 T3-C #1431
Bruce W View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan. 2023 at 11:32pm
  I would not start taking it apart. If something is causing oil to blow out of the dipstick tube, oil is more than likely also going up the PCV inlet hose into the air tube and down the carburetor throat. Find what’s causing that. I dont think it’s an internal thing. 
Keep shifting from 3rd to 2nd at 40 mph and you wont have to worry about it much longer. 
BW 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WellFedHobo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan. 2023 at 9:02am

Keep shifting from 3rd to 2nd at 40 mph and you wont have to worry about it much longer. 
BW 

That definitely wasn't my first choice and I hope to not repeat it...
Brad
1945 T3-C #1431
Ron D View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ron D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan. 2023 at 10:14am
From the video --- I thought the burning smell wasn't clutch --- it was because you drove the "shake-down" cruise with the hand brake on. LOL

And driving in 4WD low on dry pavement isn't a good thing.

Edited by Ron D - 17 Jan. 2023 at 10:18am
1951 M38
1951 M100
Bill2A View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill2A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan. 2023 at 10:14am
With that much compression, I would not be in any hurry to tear it down.
1946 CJ2A 14098
dasvis View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dasvis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan. 2023 at 3:03pm
I would not sweat the parking brake being on too much -
     yeah, it got hot, but now the shoes are probably seated..

I did the same first drive & it still works fine.
1947 CJ2A #88659 "Rat Patrol"
1953 CJ3A #453-GB1 11266 "Black Beauty"
1964 Thunderbird convertible
..... & one of them moves under it's own power!!
Bruce W View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan. 2023 at 3:27pm
Embarrassed  On a trail ride one time, I was on the radio asking guys ahead of me to check their parking brake because I could smell one hot. It was mine. EmbarrassedEmbarrassed
BW 

Ron D View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ron D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan. 2023 at 3:55pm
Yeah, I mentioned the parking brake burning from his video because I'd hate to see him tear into the clutch for no good reason.....
...besides, driving the new motor with that extra "load" on probably just helped seat the rings faster. LOL

Edited by Ron D - 17 Jan. 2023 at 3:56pm
1951 M38
1951 M100

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WellFedHobo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan. 2023 at 2:19pm
I noted that "smells like clutch" quote in the video because mere minutes later in the video I noted that I'd left the parking brake on. Wacko Dumb mistake on my part, hasn't repeated at least.

But yes, can confirm, the parking brake shoes are seated quite nicely now.

Got some more new parts in. A new gasket for the dipstick, all the gaskets needed to refresh the windshield, just need some glass cut and to see if I can take the inner windshield frame apart without breaking everything. Seems like it's not rusted too badly for being a VEC windshield. The windshield to cowl rubber seal is solid as a rock. The inner windshield seal is just gone. Bubba was there, riveting some aluminum over the gap. Not sure how I'll address it. 

Hopefully I can stop blasting oil all over the place soon and get back to just a slow drip of oil here and there.
Brad
1945 T3-C #1431
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1516171819 31>