Forum Home Forum Home > Other Vehicles Area > Other Vehicles - Your Project
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Another Project? VW Beetle

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ggordon49 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Another Project? VW Beetle
    Posted: 31 Aug. 2020 at 1:32pm
What do you guys think, should we take on "Another" project? I know it's not the most responsible thing to do, but....... It was my wife's grandfathers, I believe it is a 1963? Has not run in ten years and is now currently a mouse hotel... It ran great when parked LOLLOL The floors have been replaced and has always been garaged. I have never owned one or driven a bug, but it looks fun! It also seems pretty simple to work on.

- Don't Let The Fatherless Ones Grind You Down -
- I like them stock, survivor's with original paint are my favorites -
RICKG View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RICKG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug. 2020 at 1:34pm
Grab the Evinrude while you're there!
I never met a mule I didn't like!
MC51986 "OD MULE" DOD 01-52
'50 CJ3A "Bucksnort".
Keep 'em Rollin'
ggordon49 View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ggordon49 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug. 2020 at 1:37pm
Originally posted by RICKG RICKG wrote:

Grab the Evinrude while you're there!

Yeah, that has my name on it! Wink
rocnroll View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocnroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug. 2020 at 2:14pm
Closer to '73..... Later than '63 for sure, but yes definately bring it home.

A good Bug project is pretty fun. I wouldn't mind having another.

'47 CJ2A PU
'48 CJ2A Lefty

"Common sense is not that common"
otto View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote otto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug. 2020 at 4:40pm

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/

It’s like the 2a page for VWs, you can get lost over there. 

47 CJ2A w/fuel injected boat engine
48 CJ2A
64 Ford Econoline Travelwagon
If you can't get there in a Jeep, get a motorcycle!
rocnroll View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocnroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug. 2020 at 5:55pm
The Samba is definately a great time killer.

Those VW dudes have some verrrry cool 'modified' projects!

'47 CJ2A PU
'48 CJ2A Lefty

"Common sense is not that common"
mbullism View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbullism Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug. 2020 at 5:58pm
They are generally simple to work on, once you acclimate to their "quirks" LOL   ...back in the day I graduated from home built go carts to bugs on my way to a drivers license and my first jeep.  You could buy a running parts bug for 100-$150, there was 50 acres behind my parents house...the rest writes itself Wink.  We always had a least a pair running and driving enough to make a race of it. LOL 

Fun little cars-
Those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it... Welcome to 1930's Germany
ggordon49 View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ggordon49 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug. 2020 at 6:12pm
Thanks guys, great story MB Smile... Yes they do seem fun! The engine # stares with an "AE' so I believe it is more like a 71-73 (Thank you roc, right on). Grandpa drove this car until he was 94, it would be nice to keep the car going... Maybe the kids can fool with it one day?
3-48s View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3-48s Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug. 2020 at 6:27pm
Originally posted by ggordon49 ggordon49 wrote:

What do you guys think, should we take on "Another" project? I know it's not the most responsible thing to do, but....... It was my wife's grandfathers, I believe it is a 1963? Has not run in ten years and is now currently a mouse hotel... It ran great when parked LOLLOL The floors have been replaced and has always been garaged. I have never owned one or driven a bug, but it looks fun! It also seems pretty simple to work on.

GO FOR IT GEOFF,
"BUGS" are cool and a lot of fun to boot! As long as it is not to rusty, Floors can be a challenge.

1945 CJ2A #10536
1948 CJ2A #176528 "Elmer"
1948 CJ2A #155970 "Gray Mule"
1948 CJ2A #155365 "Old Yeller" (GONE)
BANTAM T3C # 6147 (GONE)
BANTAM T3C # 30856
smfulle View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smfulle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug. 2020 at 7:15pm
I drove a yellow 72 for years as my daily driver.
Drove it from San Antonio to Langley VA and back once. You can greatly increase you gas milage by tucking in behind a semi and drafting. You can almost throw it in neutral and get dragged along. 
Stan
48 CJ2A (Grampa's Jeep)
59 Chevy 1/2 ton
Grampa's Jeep Build Thread
mbullism View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbullism Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug. 2020 at 10:07pm
Originally posted by ggordon49 ggordon49 wrote:

Thanks guys, great story MB Smile... Yes they do seem fun! ...

Whatever you do, do NOT use a milkcrate for a seat, catch a rut and roll one...AMHIK Wacko

(on the plus side, they're pretty simple to put back on all four LOL )
Those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it... Welcome to 1930's Germany
ggordon49 View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ggordon49 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep. 2020 at 1:15pm
Great stories guys! My younger self would say throw some new gas in and a fresh battery and she will be good to go.... My wiser self says "You know this thing is going to snowball, it's never that easy" LOLLOL 
Ol' Unreliable View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep. 2020 at 8:51pm
The back bumper and taillights indicate a '68 or newer.  The taillights look to be too small to be a '73, I think...but I am not an expert, so don't quote me.
There's a reason it's called Ol' Unreliable
cpt logger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote cpt logger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep. 2020 at 10:00am
68 or newer.

Get yourself an "Idiot Book", written by John Muir. The real title is "How to keep your VW alive, A manual of step by step procedures for the complete idiot". Us VW nuts just call it "The Idiot Book".

My first one was the first edition it was spiral bound & came with my first VW, which was a 1962 Square back imported from Canada. It had the semi-spherical turn signals, a side draft carburetor, a metal sunroof, & no safety glass.

By the time I lost it, 10 years or so later, chapter 15, the engine rebuild chapter, was so used that the print was almost unreadable. I probably rebuilt 40 engines with that book. One engine twice!

Hell, the artwork is worth the cost of the book alone. The written content, especially John's stories are also worth the cost of the book. I sometimes read it just for the entertainment value. It is the best auto repair manual I have ever owned or used, bar none.

There is one for the rabbits as well. IMHO, It is not as good as the one for the air-cooled VWs.

Seriously get yourself one or two! One to read before working on the bug, & one to get dirty while working on the car. Five, like I have, might be excessive.Ermm Maybe, perhaps, .... well .... no, probably not, five is good!!Big smile

IHTH, Cpt Logger.
ggordon49 View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ggordon49 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct. 2020 at 6:33pm
Although not much progress on the Beetle has been made, I was able to tear into that old Evinrude... I believe from the model number it is a 1958, 3HP, twin cylinder, direct drive. I really love the 50's design with three different colors on the tank and the graphics. At this time it is completely frozen stuck Shocked, however, I'm almost certain it is from sitting for over 40 years and not a mechanical failure... It's now sitting, soaking with penetrating fluid, waiting.....

RICKG View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RICKG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct. 2020 at 7:31pm
The "Rude" was what you were after, the bug was just in the way.. 
I never met a mule I didn't like!
MC51986 "OD MULE" DOD 01-52
'50 CJ3A "Bucksnort".
Keep 'em Rollin'
cpt logger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cpt logger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct. 2020 at 6:57am

This is true! I will help you out on this. Sell the bug to me!Smile

This way you have more time and money for the "Rude". I am here for you.Wink
ggordon49 View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ggordon49 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct. 2020 at 12:55pm
Originally posted by cpt logger cpt logger wrote:

This is true! I will help you out on this. Sell the bug to me!Smile

This way you have more time and money for the "Rude". I am here for you.Wink

You never know! LOLLOL I'm working with a small one car garage (I'm very grateful for) for which the little boat motor snuggles right in the corner taking up very little space - I appreciate that!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>