Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Jeep Photos and Stories
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

1946, 72586 changes

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1946, 72586 changes
    Posted: 08 Sep. 2020 at 7:01pm
I bought 72586 in June 2013 from my father in-law who procured it in 1982 in Alabama. The 1982 photo shows the Ford Pinto seat and homemade hood scoop besides other non-stock alterations including a very unique grill. My father in-law is retired army and eventually made it into a hybrid military looking CJ-2A. He ran it lemon yellow for many years and drove it daily to/from work in Huntsville. Then did some shadetree mechanic body work with a grandson and painted it 1990's military tan/sand, almost CARC like. Added pioneer kit, blackout lights, etc.

It has come a long way, besides being commercially trailered from Alabama to Mid-Coast Maine. I am slowly converting it back to civilian life and making it earn its living by hauling cut wood, pulling rocks, etc. I just want a strong, reliable runner and get around on a few dirt roads. I like a reasonably clean look, but know better than trying to do a full resto. Then I will live in fear of scratches!

Anniston, AL in 1982:

Huntsville, AL in 2011:

Early Maine transformation back to civilian life 2013:

Further cleaning, 50+ holes filled, lots of repairs including re-build of 4WD, tranny, clutch, carb, new gas tank and lines, winch added, hi-lift jack mount, etc. 2020

And now more cosmetic improvements including respect to the original Willys 1946 color scheme, though not fully correct, with spare strapped down in bed with deck cover for the chain saws. late 2020:

and... hard at work

Edited by bight - 03 Sep. 2021 at 11:56am
CJ-2A 72586 tan (stock)
CJ-2A 197624 green (resto-mod)
the wife abides (def: to bear patiently; TOLERATE)
bight View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep. 2020 at 7:08pm
I have some questions regarding the dash layout. It does not seem to be standard. Ignition on left. There is a light also on left side that is similar to the instrument light but does not work. Maybe a blackout dash light? 

bight View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep. 2020 at 7:10pm
full dash

athawk11 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote athawk11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep. 2020 at 7:23pm
I really like the transformation.  Nice Job!

One photo does show a black-out light.  That was probably turned on with the extra light switch.  The key location is a 'driver choice' sort of thing. You could put it back where it belongs, but then you'd need to fill another hole.Ouch 
1- 1946 CJ2A   
2- 1949 CJ3A
SlaterDoc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SlaterDoc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep. 2020 at 1:48am
That additional dash light is using the hole for the Governor Control.
Once a Navy man, always a Navy man!
bight View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep. 2020 at 12:20am
It is a bit intimidating to see the incredible fabrication, builds, and expertise displayed by participants on this site. As a long time browser of the site, I have appreciated all of the information provided by all.

I have a few more images showing what I am doing to just get a sound running machine out in the woods, etc. and maintain a reasonable cosmetic look. The frustrations of keeping an old vehicle running reliably are helped by this site.

bight View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep. 2020 at 12:31am
A few more old pics from my father in-law. First ones from early 80's, second ones from 2009.

Edited by bight - 16 Sep. 2020 at 12:33am
nofender View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nofender Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep. 2020 at 1:13am
Very cool story and history with this Jeep. You've done a great job on it! Looks fantastic and even better....it's being used! 
46 CJ2a rockcrawler
46 CJ2a - 26819
46 Bantam T3c "4366"
47 Bantam T3C - 11800
68-ish CJ5
bight View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep. 2020 at 2:17am
Yes, yes, I know welding is the way to fix this, but my welding skills severely pale in comparison to some of the pros here. I would just blow small holes into bigger holes. At some point, I will find a way to get a mentor to assist me to improve. But until then, I wants to fix sum more holes!

So I followed the advice of some others here and have begun attempts in the use of putty steel type epoxy and JB weld. I have had some cosmetically successful patches with JB weld on the fender where a blackout light once resided. Now I have started working on tailgate holes with some old FastSteel I located in my basement supply depot. It is seeming to work. More input later after I get all of it hardened, sanded, and painted. Any secrets/input is very welcome.

bight View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep. 2020 at 2:21am
I also located the original ignition hole right where it was supposed to be behind a metal plate covering. That mystery solved. And thanks to SlaterDoc for the info on the governor. I found some other dash pics on this site showing the original governor control.
bight View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep. 2020 at 6:10pm
looking for a little help regarding lights to replace the blackout lights in front. i want the opposite, some bright lights for use off road that will easily swap out/fit without a ton of work. apologies if this has been discussed somewhere else, but i was being a little lazy and did not search very hard.
bight View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep. 2020 at 9:15pm
progress on tailgate hole filling. going to say the FastSteel putty works. but do not know if it will last.

bight View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep. 2020 at 1:39am
added CJ5 dash handle for passengers to hold on during the high speeds achievable (45 tops)

bight View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep. 2020 at 1:42am
and got out for a close-to-home falls colors mini-tour.

44bz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 44bz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep. 2020 at 4:51am
Your Jeep looks awesome!  How did you mount your winch?
46 CJ2a - Buick 225, T90/D18, Warn overdrive, Rancho 2.5", power steering, disc brakes, 33x10.50 BFG KM3s

1968 J2000 - AMC 327, T18, Dana 20

1971 CJ5 RenI - 225, T18, D20(2.46:1)
bight View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep. 2020 at 4:01pm
plate was welded to lower part of frame. i wanted to minimize airflow blockage to radiator. the frame needed some reinforcement. slot was cut in bumper with plasma cutter.

CJ-2A 72586 tan (stock)
bight View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct. 2020 at 11:48pm
more tailgate work. the FastSteel seems to have worked pretty well even when smoothed out. i will be spraying rattle can bedliner on the inside of the tailgate as it will be used to put tools/chainsaws/etc. on while working.

CJ-2A 72586 tan (stock)
bight View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct. 2020 at 12:04am
so i have finally received from my father-in-law what brief background he had on 72586. i have included a little of my side of the story. in reality, as many of you know, these jeeps become a significant part of ones life. as this has been a trying year for most of us, to accomplish some work on the jeep and get it running reliably can, but not always, be therapedic (as Barney Fife would say). Those that contribute to this site indirectly also become a part of these jeeps even though they may never actually see them.

The Jeep (by Larry)

Ever since I was a little kid in Grand Rapids I have been fascinated with the jeep. I think it was from the World War II newsreels I saw each Saturday at the movie matinee that caused it all. I even remember having a little white one in red trim about that time.

In the early 80's I moved my family from Ft. Leavenworth, KS. to Ft. McClellan, AL where I took up duties as the installation inspector general. It was at that time I started looking for a Jeep. An ad in the Anniston newspaper classified (1982) caught my attention. A lady in town was selling her son’s jeep (1946 CJ-2A 72586). The price was right ($400.00) as I didn’t have much money to spend. When I first saw the jeep it really looked rough. The lady’s son had bought it for hunting and had placed no interest in fixing or cleaning it up. I was afraid it would never make it home but I paid the lady and cranked it up... no muffler. In an attempt to gain more ground clearance, the axles had been removed and replaced below the springs, which in turn, buggered up the steering linkage and made driving nearly impossible and dangerous. I was afraid I was going to get stopped by the police on the way home. It at least had an antique license plate, which transferred with the jeep.

After getting it home, I started to list all the work I would have to do on it. It had a steering wheel from an unknown compact car, one seat from a Ford Pinto, one jeep seat frame, and no back seat. The split windshield was cracked with only one hand crank military style wiper blade. The engine was out of a CJ-5, which had the carburetor on top of the engine block. To allow for the air cleaner a square was cut out of the hood and covered with a plastic scoop. The electrical wiring was a combination of extension cord wire and bits and splices of other wire. It would have to be totally rewired. Lots of minor body work, fixing dents, rust, etc. would also be in order. 

I found a jeep scrap yard up in Piedmont near Jacksonville, AL. The man who ran the place gave me a hammer and a chisel had said, “go help yourself”. I discovered a hood in fairly decent shape and used it to slide along the ground filling it with pieces and parts. I found a driver’s seat frame and a lot of other small items. The owner’s brother happened to own a jeep garage and in the next month or so, I towed it there and had a go-devil engine installed and he kept the CJ-5 engine.

I took the jeep to the auto crafts shop at Ft. McClellan and it was painted a Chevy yellow. They used a type of paint with an epoxy base, which hardened quite fast. When I got it home, I took the body off and started the next phase of rehabilitation. The J.C. Whitney catalog was my go-to book. I bought a new steering wheel, a set tail lights, and did the re-wiring. I took the windshield into town to an automotive glass shop for new glass. Then I took it to a muffler shop.

Slowly the old jeep was coming together. I bought the top (BesTop), installed it and with the small driver side cabin heater it was fairly cozy in the winter. I also installed electric wipers. I traded my flight helmet from Vietnam for a pair of  upholstered seat covers that a friend of mine, who was president of the base parachute club, made for me. There was no spare tire mount so initially I bought and installed a side mount, but later converted to the rear mount, as I was no longer using the tailgate. I found a rear seat from a M-151 wreck in the base rifle impact area and cut it to fit. I also replaced the footman loops and installed side grab bars. 

I drove it back and forth to the office almost daily. Then in 1985, my wife and I left for Germany, and I towed it to near my son's house in Arab, AL, where I put it in a storage unit. When we returned from Germany in 1988, I got it out of storage and running again and kept it garaged at home in Huntsville, AL. I purchased and installed military NDT tires. I then modified the passenger side tub to allow for the shovel and axe (pioneer kit) and put in a new front floor with the help of my grandson who was a young welder. After all the welding was completed, it needed to be painted so off went the body tub and a fresh matte paint job was added in current (90's) military tan/sand purchased from Sherwin Williams. 

The story continues...

In 2013, the jeep was purchased by son in-law, (me). I have had nine other 4WD vehicles including such notables as a 1969 Ford Bronco and 1995 Land Rover D90. As did Larry, I too since childhood have wanted a jeep CJ.

The jeep was commercially transported to Jefferson, ME. It was in running condition, but was in need of a significant amount of repair to put it back into reliable running order. All systems were in need of maintenance as should be expected of a 70-year-old vehicle that has had a well used life. The top was damaged during shipment, though not beyond repair, and the side mirror was broken.

It was delivered to a local repair shop for operational repairs, brakes, suspension, 4WD, electrical. It was determined that the engine would be in need of rebuild, but that was not priority. It ended up at the repair shop for two years. Radiator was replaced, all running gear repaired, exhaust and muffler replaced, 4WD re-built, brake system re-built.

Upon its return home, it still did not run quite right and sat idle as work was in the way of jeep riding. A home relocation, new garage, and work downtime due to COVID19 pandemic, excited interest in digging in and getting it running. Fuel tank and lines were replaced along with a rebuilt WO carb and added fuel filter. As it still did not run right, it was taken to Copeland’s Garage in Warren, ME, known to be qualified jeep mechanics. They resolved the fuel issue, which was fuel line overheating, re-built the transmission and clutch, did as much drip remediation as possible, and built a custom front mount for a Warn 103250 VR EVO 8, 8000 lb. electric winch. 

As I am a bit of a amateur stickler for aesthetics, I went about cleaning, hole filling, and converting the former “military” look back to civilian style. I finally located closely matching rattle can paint (a military CARC simulation). I also discovered that Sunset Red, a sorta dark orange, was one of the 1946 wheel color options that went with the Harvest Tan body color. Since the body was tan/sand, I was able to find rattle can, off the shelf, Rust-Oleum Farm & Implement Allis Chalmers Orange for the rims. The spare tire mount was removed from the tailgate. The tailgate was put back into use, chains and chain covers fabricated, and the spare tire was loaded and strapped in the back with a plywood custom deck covering so stuff can be loaded on top of the spare. Wheel chocks and lug wrench were mounted underneath the deck. Recovery, rigging gear, and first aid supplies were gathered and fit nicely in the under-passenger-seat tool compartment. A high-lift jack was mounted in the back directly behind the driver/passenger seats. A transfer case skid plate was purchased and installed. Front locking hubs were changed to Warn 29062 premium manual hubs. A grab bar from a CJ-5 was installed in the dashboard for passenger stability.

I prefer the open concept of a jeep and decided to not re-install the full top. The parts were saved and cut down for a bikini top. All of the holes in the body for snaps/attachments were filled and painted over. Over 50 small holes were filled! More random holes have been filled on the tailgate. 

Edited by bight - 01 June 2022 at 10:26am
CJ-2A 72586 tan (stock)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>