Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Jeep Photos and Stories
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

1946, 72586 changes

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
Author
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 June 2021 at 2:54pm
not 100% on this one yet, but could not find a better, out of the way place to mount a 1 gallon Rotopax gas container. this simple mount connected to the firewall bolt holding the air cleaner bracket so no drilling into firewall. small hole in bottom lip of dash for pop rivet. i figure for hard core off roading, this would probably not hold up, but could if reasonably reinforced. and i know 1 gallon is not much, but i do not venture far from home or gas supplies. would be just enough to get out of the woods (10 miles?).

CJ-2A 72586 tan (stock)
CJ-2A 197624 green (resto-mod)
the wife abides (def: to bear patiently; TOLERATE)
rocnroll View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocnroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 June 2021 at 3:02pm
I dunno ......maybe I've had one too many amp gauge fires but I wouldn't be real comfortable with that.

Waaaay too many other places on a jeep to store one gallon of gas IMO.

'47 CJ2A PU
'48 CJ2A Lefty

"Common sense is not that common"
bight View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 June 2021 at 3:21pm
thanks rocnroll,

haven't had any amp gauge fires in many vehicles over 40 years. but i suppose it happens. the proximity is not close nor would i expect a conflagration from an amp gauge. i suppose we can argue any fuel on board is a hazard... wait, we sit on a gas tank. oh baby jesus! i better rethink this whole Jeep idea.

i did reconnoiter the entire vehicle and want no exterior mounts, no mounts that are going to interfere with any other items mounted, not challenge getting the can off of the mount, does not take up bed space as i load stuff like chainsaws, firewood, brushcutters, etc., not on top of either wheelhouse, and minimize or no drilling holes. and i have no roll bar or tailgate mount and actively use the tailgate - a lot.

so, i am gonna try this out. hope it only costs me the one tiny heavy duty pop rivet hole and not mine or a passengers life!
CJ-2A 72586 tan (stock)
rocnroll View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocnroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 June 2021 at 3:39pm
Originally posted by bight bight wrote:

....so, i am gonna try this out. hope it only costs me the one tiny heavy duty pop rivet hole and not mine or a passengers life!

Was just giving an opinion since you said you weren't 100%....do as you wish.

(your passenger may not mind... but he/she may not get a chance to confront you about it later)

For what its worth, the one you are sitting on wouldn't be trapping fumes like a small underdash area would....but that was just my thought process. Carry on.

'47 CJ2A PU
'48 CJ2A Lefty

bight View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 June 2021 at 4:01pm
right on. 

Rotopax are of known high quality and not prone to leakage. and if it did leak, i should know fairly quickly. i would consider the likelihood of vapor buildup under the cowl to be low. i do not have an enclosed top/cab either so there is a tremendous amount of airflow.

oh... and i rarely have passengers.

Edited by bight - 29 June 2021 at 4:02pm
CJ-2A 72586 tan (stock)
rocnroll View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocnroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 June 2021 at 4:37pm
No worries then.....

'47 CJ2A PU
'48 CJ2A Lefty

bight View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 July 2021 at 3:09pm
little dirt road action on a nice day. 35-40 mph on tractor tires not too bad.

CJ-2A 72586 tan (stock)
bight View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep. 2021 at 5:04pm
installed cylinder lock on tool box. i did this on my other jeep to minimize theft potential and store road kit in the tool box. i liked it so much, i decided to put a lock on 72586 as the lid was buggered and would never stay closed and let in all kinds of debris. now the lock holds the lid tight and keeps the honest, lazy people out. 10 min. project.

Edited by bight - 13 June 2022 at 8:37pm
CJ-2A 72586 tan (stock)
ace32107 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ace32107 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb. 2022 at 4:14pm
This is a great write up I like all the changes you have made. The jeep looks great!
Bob3b View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob3b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb. 2022 at 9:50am
That jeep sure has come a long way and looks much better for all of the effort.
1946 CJ2A #23881
1953 CJ3b, nice!
1949 Jeepster
1947 Empire Model 90
1985 CJ10A
Spen "S" Utility trailer
Kubota l3400
bight View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr. 2022 at 12:48pm
introducing aurora.

she is a deaf boxer. she was brought to a vet in Alabama by a puppy mill breeder to be euthanized due to being deaf. as most of you would understand, this is terribly wrong (both the puppy mill and the euthanization of dogs for inappropriate reasons). the vet refused to perform the requested action and kept the puppy and was able to find a foster home. my brother-in-law's wife found out about the situation also knowing that we have provided a home for many boxers both old and young. 

we have not had a puppy in a very long time as there are many, many deserving dogs in shelters and rescue groups in the US. we have fostered and adopted many middle aged and senior dogs and have been rewarded by each of their presence.

after a couple days transport by my brother-in-law and me meeting them in Virginia, aurora made it to our home in Maine. she is exhibiting a very high level of intelligence, ability to be trained with signs, and is settling in well. but puppy teeth are certainly challenging. she is getting her outdoor acclimatization starting with her first Jeep ride. she sat well between the seats and exhibited no fears.

CJ-2A 72586 tan (stock)
nofender View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nofender Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr. 2022 at 7:34pm
Good on you! There is a special place for folks that take the time and efforts to adopt animals in need. My hats off to you. 
46 CJ2a rockcrawler
46 CJ2a - 26819
46 Bantam T3c "4366"
47 Bantam T3C - 11800
68-ish CJ5
Michaeltru View Drop Down

Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Michaeltru Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr. 2022 at 8:29pm
Gotta love boxer pups
Mike in AZ
bight View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2022 at 11:45am
and she grows!

CJ-2A 72586 tan (stock)
bight View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep. 2022 at 2:33pm
recent time out in jeep

CJ-2A 72586 tan (stock)
bight View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec. 2022 at 9:06pm
receptacle hitch/hitch installed. removed draw bar. much more usable for my needs. 

CJ-2A 72586 tan (stock)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234