Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Jeep Photos and Stories
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

1946, 72586 changes

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec. 2020 at 6:08am
  As you can see in my avatar, I’m running one on Uncle Linden’s CJ2-A. I used to hang a Desert Water Bag in front of it. I won’t say I never had any heating or vaporlock problems, but when I did, it was no surprise and I was not the only one. 
BW
It is NOT a Jeep Willys! It is a Willys jeep.

Happy Trails! Good-bye, Good Luck, and May the Good Lord Take a Likin' to You!

We Have Miles to Jeep, Before We Sleep.
SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec. 2020 at 1:47pm
Originally posted by bight bight wrote:

the screen will be masked. bedliner will only be on the trim to reduce rattle on contact with the grill and reduce rust re-occurrance.

that (plugging the screen) is also why i did not apply primer paint to the screen. it is galvanized anyway so it doesn't need paint.

Galvanizing doesn't normally take paint very well anyway. If treated with a copper sulfate solution it will take on a copper plate and that will take paint.
46 CJ-2A #64462 "Ol' Red" (bought April 1969)(second owner)(12 V, 11" brakes, M-38 frame, MD Juan tub)

U.S. Coast Guard Chief Petty Officer(ret.)
U.S. Army Vietnam veteran and damned proud of it.

rocnroll View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocnroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec. 2020 at 2:21pm
Bruce, I have a Desert bag hanging on Southpaw'....saw it in an antique shop and liked 'the look'.

I've never tried it.....can you tell us your thoughts. The way I always heard it was that the water was supposed to wick through the canvas and provide a little humidity ....wind chill, I guess. Not so much for extra carrying capacity.

Am I wrong? And could you tell any difference....snake oil?

'47 CJ2A PU
'48 CJ2A Lefty

"Common sense is not that common"
binthere View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote binthere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec. 2020 at 10:49pm
The evaporation from the canvas bag was to cool the water in the bag.Thumbs Up
chuck
1953 CJ3B "a fistfull of dollars"
1949 willys jeepster "a few dollars more"
and a few other retirement toys

Bruce W View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec. 2020 at 11:40pm
  Yes, evaporation of the water on the outside cools the water inside. Not cold 🥶, but cooler than ambient. The city-raised gals and some guys too, thought it was awful when I would kneel in front of my Jeep, pull the cork and have a drink. 😁 I was raised on water-bag water, and water from the yard hose or fresh from an irrigation well. It did seem though that when running in a dusty group like at FCT, the water would taste a little bit muddy. As water soaks out thru the canvas, I guess some dust could soak in. I figured we were breathing that dust, it wouldn’t hurt any more to drink some. 
BW 
It is NOT a Jeep Willys! It is a Willys jeep.

Happy Trails! Good-bye, Good Luck, and May the Good Lord Take a Likin' to You!

We Have Miles to Jeep, Before We Sleep.
rocnroll View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocnroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec. 2020 at 12:52am
Thanks!

'47 CJ2A PU
'48 CJ2A Lefty

"Common sense is not that common"
bight View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec. 2020 at 8:39pm
masked and getting rattle can bedliner coating. masking takes longer than painting! those little curves are a b****.

CJ-2A 72586 tan (stock)
CJ-2A 197624 green (resto-mod)
the wife abides (def: to bear patiently; TOLERATE)
bight View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Dec. 2020 at 9:10pm
chaff guard and Smittybuilt fairlead license plate holder installed. the license plate holder appears to be quite good, can be modified for hawse or roller fairleads, and the roller clips are very secure. and much better than my BS attempt at a homebuilt version that broke immediately when it hit into something.

CJ-2A 72586 tan (stock)
mbullism View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbullism Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Dec. 2020 at 9:20am
The guard looks great Thumbs Up always loved that look.  Did the bedliner have the desired effect?  Just now noticed the hood latches... kinda cool you decided to keep them Smile
Those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it... Welcome to 1930's Germany
bight View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan. 2021 at 1:57am
received Maine state title the other day. took a while, but the Maine Bureau of Motor Vehicles was easy to work with to get through the process. I have lived in several other states and the District of Columbia and dreaded any needed dealings with State Motor Vehicle matters. Maine representatives were helpful and the process was fairly simple. It ensured the information submitted was factual, that I indeed owned the vehicle, had a knowledgeable detective look at the vehicle at my residence, and within a few weeks the paper was delivered. turned out the detective had formerly owned a CJ-2A also so he knew his way around. cost $40.
CJ-2A 72586 tan (stock)
bight View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan. 2021 at 3:21am
it has been a little time and yes, the spray on bedliner seems to have worked nicely on the chaff screen/guard. i was concerned about it being sorta sticky, but it is not. and it looks very nice.

on to taking off the alternator bracket to straighten the alternator belt path.

did get out in the snow a little with the NDTs and all was fine. looking to mod a set of tire chains that came with it. they are a bit too large. link removal may do the trick.

CJ-2A 72586 tan (stock)
bight View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan. 2021 at 9:28pm
put old lenses back on after replacing the blackout lights. the lenses are not great, one is cracked, but now he is fully back to civilian life.

CJ-2A 72586 tan (stock)
bight View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2021 at 7:49pm
last few pics and runs before tire change. the tractor tires are ordered.

7.0x16 tractor tires on order.

salt is washed off roads and beautiful weather for a topless Jeep ride.

Edited by bight - 21 May 2021 at 3:33pm
CJ-2A 72586 tan (stock)
bight View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2021 at 3:39pm
tractor tires arrived and applied to rims.

looks like 7-16 are actually slightly smaller that the 6.0-16 NDT. rubbing should for sure not be an issue.

Edited by bight - 21 May 2021 at 3:40pm
CJ-2A 72586 tan (stock)
nofender View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nofender Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2021 at 4:44pm
Lovin’ the tractor tires!!
46 CJ2a rockcrawler
46 CJ2a - 26819
46 Bantam T3c "4366"
47 Bantam T3C - 11800
68-ish CJ5
otto View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote otto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2021 at 5:10pm
That should be interesting for you, let us know how they work.
47 CJ2A w/fuel injected boat engine
48 CJ2A
64 Ford Econoline Travelwagon
If you can't get there in a Jeep, get a motorcycle!
bight View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2021 at 7:49pm
got into the fields and some mud. the tractor tires are certainly a performance improvement. very different pavement feeling though. i will get out tomorrow for a neighborhood asphalt drive. the intent is not for street driving though.

was pulling better than NDT's in the mud. got into full axle deep and got stuck but reversed out, no problem. couldn't do that with the NDT's. really thick, gooey mud.

no rubbing issues. looks like i could have gone up a size no problem.

clean:

dirty:

CJ-2A 72586 tan (stock)
bight View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2021 at 3:43pm
ran out on pavement today. bouncy going slow, smooths out to feeling almost normal at 35 mph. seems a tad squirrely but not bad.

was great on the woods trails and better than the NDT's.

Edited by bight - 25 May 2021 at 3:44pm
CJ-2A 72586 tan (stock)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>