Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Tech Questions and Answers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Gasoline additive

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Varner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Gasoline additive
    Posted: 16 June 2007 at 10:50am
I,ve been told that a lead substitute should be added to the gasoline to keep from burning the valves in these old flathead engines.(48 CJ2A,50 CJ3A) At Auto Zone I find "Lead Substitute" valve seat anti wear additive, made by GUNK. Is this the stuff, or is there something better available, like tetraethyl of lead? Like what used to be in leaded gas?

Edited by russnj - 16 June 2007 at 5:09pm
Tom Varner
samcj2a View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote samcj2a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 June 2007 at 10:58am

I do not think that it is necessary.  I know there is a variety of opinion on this, but I don't use any additive in mine and don't plan to.

Sam

1946 CJ2A   15292 ACM    6678

1947 CJ2A 122031 ACM 111989

Are Glass Bowl Fuel Pumps OE?
Jonesy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jonesy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 June 2007 at 12:48pm
Later replacement L-134's had stellite exhaust valve inserts, and a lot of older engines got them installed at overhaul. These engines run fine with unleaded. Those with the seats cut into the cast iron block are at risk, IF the engine is subjected to hard use. Some older aircraft engines are in the same boat, when run with unleaded auto fuel (it's legal, in certain cases). One fix for both old engine types: If you can get some 100LL avgas and run a tank through every tenth tank or so, the lead will persist on the valve seat and prevent erosion. Otherwise, an additive is a good idea until overhaul time when you can have inserts installed. This is my opinion, as a old airplane pilot and mechanic who has seen the innards of quite a few engines.

Jonesy

1951 CJ3A

1948 Willys Pickup

1954 Willys Pickup

1947 Bantam BT3-C Trailer
jeeperkyle46 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeeperkyle46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 June 2007 at 8:55pm
seafoam... enuff said
'46 cj2a #71673(project)

Post Reply Post Reply