Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

October 2020 What did you do to your Willys?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
JeepFever View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JeepFever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: October 2020 What did you do to your Willys?
    Posted: 30 Oct. 2020 at 3:53am
Originally posted by Oldpappy Oldpappy wrote:

. . .
Last time I wrestled an axle under a Jeep was 30 years ago. They have somehow gotten heavier Wink

LOL

42rocker View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 42rocker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct. 2020 at 3:22am
New? Worked on buying a 1948 Willys CJ2A and getting it here next month. Then I plan to take pics and share info.

Stay Safe

Later 42rocker
Oldpappy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oldpappy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct. 2020 at 12:25pm
What a beauty! I doubt it looked that good when it rolled off the line new. I love the color.

I got the new front axle installed over the weekend, still have work to do on the brakes. Have new lines and wheel cylinders, just need to install new MC and lines to the axles.

Last time I wrestled an axle under a Jeep was 30 years ago. They have somehow gotten heavier Wink
If you can't get there in a Jeep you don't need to be there!
Hamhog View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hamhog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct. 2020 at 1:03pm
Ah. Okay. 
Dave
SlaterDoc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SlaterDoc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct. 2020 at 12:47pm
 The new angle answered that! In the first picture it looked as though you had chrome or stainless plates behind the pedals!

Once a Navy man, always a Navy man!
Hamhog View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hamhog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct. 2020 at 11:00am
Originally posted by SlaterDoc SlaterDoc wrote:

Dave, I'm interested in what you did on the driver's foot area. Is that additional support added or just something to make it pretty?

I’m not sure what area you’re talking about. The tub and parts in floor areas are as stock as I could make them.

Originally posted by 3-48s 3-48s wrote:

Originally posted by Hamhog Hamhog wrote:

Grill and lights installed... almost.

What paint color & brand did you use on the headlight buckets? They look great. 

Thanks. There’s a discussion somewhere on the page about the color. I used a semi-gloss dark walnut.  I blasted the buckets then sprayed them with a black etch primer, then a black primer, then the dark walnut. They turned out very well.
Dave
chris View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct. 2020 at 3:57am
I worked on my death wobble.

For a variety of reasons, I haven't been able to devote much time to #13396.

In the Spring, I repacked the front wheel bearings and replaced some of the parts too.

Mid-summer, I finally had a chance to jack up the jeep and wiggle the steering around. 

In the last few days of October, I finally had a chance to tinker a bit.  I tightened anything which seemed loose.  One castle nut was loose, and I replaced some cotter pins too.  The grease boots need to be replaced, but I can't pull the steering apart right now.  So, I greased the 45,000 zerks in the steering linkage, and I took the wheels to be balanced at a local tire shop (the shop owner has a 2A and a CJ5). 

Once it was all back together, I took the jeep for a ride   I tried to make it wobble ... but it didn't.  So, I feel pretty good about my modest efforts.

I'm looking forward to some rides before it gets too cold.  We've had some really nice Fall weather here in NW NJ.

Maybe 2021 will allow me to be a little kinder to 13396.  After all, it turns 75 in January.

Happy trails folks ...
chris

2A #13396
3-48s View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3-48s Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct. 2020 at 10:25pm

Grill and lights installed... almost.

What paint color & brand did you use on the headlight buckets? They look great.
1945 CJ2A #10536
1948 CJ2A #176528 "Elmer"
1948 CJ2A #155970 "Gray Mule"
1948 CJ2A #155365 "Old Yeller" (GONE)
BANTAM T3C # 6147 (GONE)
BANTAM T3C # 30856
3-48s View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3-48s Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct. 2020 at 10:17pm

More progress on the 48...

Who rebuilt your tub?
1945 CJ2A #10536
1948 CJ2A #176528 "Elmer"
1948 CJ2A #155970 "Gray Mule"
1948 CJ2A #155365 "Old Yeller" (GONE)
BANTAM T3C # 6147 (GONE)
BANTAM T3C # 30856
dasvis View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dasvis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct. 2020 at 8:20pm
Great color choice.  Has that vintage look to it
1947 CJ2A #88659 "Rat Patrol"
1953 CJ3A #453-GB1 11266 "Black Beauty"
1964 Thunderbird convertible
..... & one of them moves under it's own power!!
SlaterDoc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SlaterDoc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct. 2020 at 8:01pm
Dave, I'm interested in what you did on the driver's foot area. Is that additional support added or just something to make it pretty?

Once a Navy man, always a Navy man!
Hamhog View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hamhog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct. 2020 at 5:05pm
Originally posted by Oldpappy Oldpappy wrote:

That Jeep is too pretty to get mud on it Wink

It won't be abused...but I'm building it to use.  It's been a great learning experience, for sure.
Dave
Oldpappy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oldpappy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct. 2020 at 3:33pm
That Jeep is too pretty to get mud on it Wink
Hamhog View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hamhog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct. 2020 at 2:03pm

More progress.  Got the wiring installed and tested (minus the gas tank wiring).  All the lights work!  Installed the windshield, and restored license plates.  If you all are looking for a nice restoration of vintage plates, Lee Lawson does a great job (arkpl8s@att.net).

Dave
Oldpappy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oldpappy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct. 2020 at 1:10pm
Front axle work is complete, including 11" brake conversion. I plan to swap in the new axle this weekend and finish plumbing in the new brake lines for the front. This is a NOS M38A1 axle, so while mechanically "New", it was probably in storage since I was a kid so with emphasis on the "O" of "NOS" I replaced the pinion and hub seals, and the 11" conversion along with new brake lines takes care of all the other rubber components. Being a Marine M38A1 axle it has a limited slip differential. 

I have a military surplus M38 bleeder cap for the Master Cylinder which has a hose barb installed. These were intended for pressure bleeding the brakes which makes that job a whole lot faster and easier to do solo. Just pump up the pressure bottle, check for leaks, and then starting at left rear open up the bleeder valve until no air bubbles appear, then move on to the other three. 

I have considered leaving that cap on and routing a hose to a remove reservoir but haven't decided that is necessary with a completely new system which shouldn't leak anywhere, so that cap may reside in the tool box with my other brake tools so I can use it for the intended purpose on more than one Jeep.

My ancient Chihuahua "Chubby" got into a box of parts and chewed up some of my new "Ever Dry" spark plug boots. It was kind of funny, the old guy can't hardly get up and down the steps anymore, but he followed me down the steps to the basement, and while my attention was on what I was working on he somehow drug a box twice his size off a bottom shelf, got into it and opened the package of six spark plug boots. I heard him chomping on something and making contented noises, so I turned around and saw him tossing one of the boots and going after it. It was so funny to see that old dog acting like a puppy again I just couldn't be mad at him. Six to a kit anyway, so the one he destroyed doesn't matter, I only need four.

drm101 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote drm101 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct. 2020 at 8:32pm
Installed Skyjacker hydro 7000’s today. Painted black for that sleeper look.

Dean
'47 CJ2A "Mud Hen"
The less the Power the More the Force
Willy46cj2a View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Willy46cj2a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct. 2020 at 7:45pm
Drove it out of the woods behind my dad's house where it's been sitting for 5+ years!! A few hours of fiddling and she fired right up. It's in rough shape, but it'll be a fun project for my son and I. When I drove it out of the woods my son went to hop in the passenger seat and he said "dad there's no floor!!" To which I replied "there hasn't been a floor on the passenger side for 20 years!!
I'm sure we'll learn a lot from this forumn, thanks for letting me join.
bight View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct. 2020 at 11:21pm
customtiedowns.com will make them with stainless steel hardware. i had them make some up for my boston whaler and was very happy with the quality. the ratchets were fairly low profile also.
CJ-2A 72586 tan (stock)
CJ-2A 197624 green (resto-mod)
the wife abides (def: to bear patiently; TOLERATE)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>