Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

October 2020 What did you do to your Willys?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote redrunner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: October 2020 What did you do to your Willys?
    Posted: 01 Oct. 2020 at 11:11am
I am getting mine ready for the long winter nap, move it to the back to of the shed and cover it up til spring.Cry
“Life is tough, but it’s tougher if you’re stupid.”
Oldpappy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oldpappy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct. 2020 at 1:15pm
Mine gets no Winter nap, too much left to do for getting her ready for the Spring trout season.

I have everything ready to finish up the rear axle work and if weather fits will get that done this weekend.

Waiting on delivery of brake drums for the 11" brake conversion I will be doing on the front axle once I finish working on it.
If you can't get there in a Jeep you don't need to be there!
jaksjep View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaksjep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct. 2020 at 7:24pm
I hooked JaksJep to my Ram truck and drove to the auto shop.  Dropped the truck off for rear brakes and drove JaksJep around town in the 90 degree heat.  Ran great and loved every minute of it.

JaksJep complained because the local National Forest is closed due to fire threats and we haven't had a "Dirt Fix" in over a month.
My posts are my personal opinion and are not legal advice as I am not an attorney. If you act on any of my comments you do so at your own risk.
bight View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct. 2020 at 9:59pm
pulled 20 or so images of jeeps with different bikini tops from the site and trying to determine how i want to cut this down for the final design. i have the top of windshield "track/channel" from the old top, but like the look of the snaps better so i think i am going with snaps for the windshield edge of the top. the question becomes how much on either side to leave which then has to curve down along the bow.

CJ-2A 72586 tan (stock)
CJ-2A 197624 green (resto-mod)
the wife abides (def: to bear patiently; TOLERATE)
ndnchf View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ndnchf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct. 2020 at 12:57am
I nade a bikini from a late model bikini I got off Craigslist. Here is a thread about it.

1948 CJ2A - It goes nowhere fast, but anywhere slow.
bight View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct. 2020 at 1:09am
thanks ndnchf. for sure the same project. using the channel would be easier. i sewed in a 5.5mm cord into the leading edge whether i use the channel or put in snaps. i feel like i will prefer the look of just the snaps when the top is off. my wife is actually an expert sewist. the challenge is enticing her to help complete this project. she says it is my Jeep and i have to perform the work. i suspect she may have some PTS from her childhood experiences when the Jeep was her fathers.

for the back straps, i will use cam buckle straps and make extensions so that it will pull the material tight and pull the bow back slightly to retain tension and hopefully reduced flapping (at maximum speeds of 45 mph).

does anyone know if the 10 holes just above the glass in the top tube were done at the factory? i see those 10 holes in many photos. the track/channel does not use those 10 holes.

i will also probably use regular snaps as opposed to turn button fasteners as they are easier to find, require no special tools, and are much cheaper.
CJ-2A 72586 tan (stock)
bight View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct. 2020 at 1:39am
this shows 10 attachment points on top of windshield.

CJ-2A 72586 tan (stock)
Bufordjeep View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bufordjeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct. 2020 at 4:20am
Willys continued to make military Jeeps after the 2a came out in July 1945?
48willys View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 48willys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct. 2020 at 2:11pm
Originally posted by bight bight wrote:

i will also probably use regular snaps as opposed to turn button fasteners as they are easier to find, require no special tools, and are much cheaper.

Nothing wrong with doing that, if you want to space them like the original turn fasteners Jeff has the measurements in this discussion. Turn fastener spacing
1946 cj2a #28680
1948 chevy 3800 thriftmaster
1946-50's cj2a-3a farm jeep
1993 yj, aka the yj7
bight View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct. 2020 at 4:43pm
thanks 48willys. i did such a crappy job of patching the holes it the top bar, that they were relatively easy to relocate. i do find it a bit difficult even using advanced search to find topics such as the info on tops, bikini tops, etc. so thanks for the link. i guess i need to find a search tutorial.

with that in mind, is there a topic area on skid plates? like what stock skid plates were there, what aftermarket ones are available, and what skid plates have the talented forum members devised? including photos. i see shackle skids available and differential skid plates but i am not sure if the diff skid plates on ebay will work or are worth the effort. and where does one get an oil pan skid plate? do you have to have this custom fabbed?
CJ-2A 72586 tan (stock)
ndnchf View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote ndnchf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct. 2020 at 4:49pm
Just FYI. Google search works well for the forum. For example, in Google type "CJ2A forum bikini".  It will quickly come up with a list.
1948 CJ2A - It goes nowhere fast, but anywhere slow.
Hamhog View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hamhog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct. 2020 at 4:24am
Grill and lights installed... almost.

Dave
nofender View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nofender Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct. 2020 at 12:14pm
Crawler Jeep quit running. So I'm finishing my diagnosis today. Hope to have it running before noon. everything leads me to ignition issue. Wish me luck. Diesel soaked rags and my lighter are standing by......
46 CJ2a rockcrawler
46 CJ2a - 26819
46 Bantam T3c "4366"
47 Bantam T3C - 11800
68-ish CJ5
Oldpappy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oldpappy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct. 2020 at 12:57pm
Originally posted by Bufordjeep Bufordjeep wrote:

Willys continued to make military Jeeps after the 2a came out in July 1945?

Willys continued to make military Jeeps up until Kaiser took over, and then they continued to make military Jeeps.

Not a lot of them until the Korean conflict came along and the M38 (49-52) became the next military Jeep after the MB, but those were only made three years before the M38A1 replaced it in.

The M38A1 was produced for the military up until 1971 

The assembly line photo is a very early CJ2A or CJ2. Note the rear hub of the full floating Dana 27. MBs were produced through 1945, so we see the last of the MBs coming down the line beside the first of the CJ2 Jeeps.

If you can't get there in a Jeep you don't need to be there!
RICKG View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RICKG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct. 2020 at 4:13pm
Originally posted by Hamhog Hamhog wrote:

Grill and lights installed... almost.

WOW!Thumbs Up
I never met a mule I didn't like!
MC51986 "OD MULE" DOD 01-52
'50 CJ3A "Bucksnort".
Keep 'em Rollin'
bight View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote bight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct. 2020 at 5:55pm
Hamhog, in these seemingly dark days, i feel compelled to say that you bring on some light with your ambition, achievements, and skills. to you and the others on this site, i thank you all for what you contribute and share.
CJ-2A 72586 tan (stock)
nofender View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nofender Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct. 2020 at 12:23am
Originally posted by nofender nofender wrote:

Crawler Jeep quit running. So I'm finishing my diagnosis today. Hope to have it running before noon. everything leads me to ignition issue. Wish me luck. Diesel soaked rags and my lighter are standing by......

We are back in business! I hit my goal and had her running at 11:21! After a couple of hours of wire tracing, I found and intermittent sticky power relay. Once replaced, she fired right up! 

Secondly, we finally got some sun here. So I was able to get the new canvas out in the warm sun for some settling and shrinkage. It's looking good!! 
46 CJ2a rockcrawler
46 CJ2a - 26819
46 Bantam T3c "4366"
47 Bantam T3C - 11800
68-ish CJ5
John Cotner View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Cotner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct. 2020 at 6:24pm
I finished my shift boot.  The local upholstery shop sold me some nice leather for $5, and I used the pattern from the web site.  After a few trial runs on fabric and some tweaking of the pattern, it turned out pretty good.  Now I'm ready to tackle a canvas top.  
Thanks,
John Cotner
New Ulm, Minnesota
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>