Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

October 2020 What did you do to your Willys?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 64CJ5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct. 2020 at 2:04am
Inventoried the parts I have and what I need for the M38 engine swap.  Moved the CJ5 into the garage and put the soft top on.  That is one job I hate doing.  It is tough to do and I prefer to drive with the windshield down.  

64CJ5 "Eeyore"
01TJ "Tigger"
52 M38 Severely demilitarized, "Popeye" The Coast Guard Jeep.
14 JK "Jake"
To Trust Government Defys Both History and Reason.

PUBLIC LAND Owner/User
RICKG View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RICKG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct. 2020 at 2:27am
Originally posted by 64CJ5 64CJ5 wrote:

Inventoried the parts I have and what I need for the M38 engine swap.  Moved the CJ5 into the garage and put the soft top on.  That is one job I hate doing.  It is tough to do and I prefer to drive with the windshield down.  

Swapping out the mighty pinto motor Tom?
I never met a mule I didn't like!
MC51986 "OD MULE" DOD 01-52
'50 CJ3A "Bucksnort".
Keep 'em Rollin'
64CJ5 View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 64CJ5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct. 2020 at 2:22pm
Yes.  I do not claim to be a mechanic but will admit to being a parts replacer.
64CJ5 "Eeyore"
01TJ "Tigger"
14 JK "Jake"

PUBLIC LAND Owner/User
Oldpappy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oldpappy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct. 2020 at 5:08pm
I have to start coming up with names for my Jeeps Smile

What I did over the weekend was assemble new brake shoes and wheel cylinders on the backing plates in preparation of rear axle reassembly, already have those on the new front axle. 

This week I will begin the assembly of the rear axle, and hope to have time to install the new brake lines and master cylinder this weekend. Once this is all completed, both axles will be as close to new as I can get them, the Jeep will have completely new brakes, bearings and seals on all four corners. 

Everything in the steering system from horn button to king pins is new or rebuilt.

Exciting that the old gal is so close to being ready for a test drive. 

I am sure she will drive a lot better than that first drive I took last Spring around the dirt road through my back fields.
If you can't get there in a Jeep you don't need to be there!
64CJ5 View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 64CJ5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct. 2020 at 7:33pm
Giving a name to a Jeep makes it harder to part with it.  When we had cows we only named the milk cow.
Did not name the horses we planed to sell or trade.
64CJ5 "Eeyore"
01TJ "Tigger"
14 JK "Jake"

PUBLIC LAND Owner/User
bight View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct. 2020 at 7:38pm
there are days, that a name making it harder to part with, is a good thing. 

like a dog, kicking it really only hurts you in the end. 
CJ-2A 72586 tan (stock)
CJ-2A 197624 green (resto-mod)
the wife abides (def: to bear patiently; TOLERATE)
Oldpappy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oldpappy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct. 2020 at 8:20pm
We once named a bull "Loomis" after a brand of meat products of the time called "Granny Loomis".

Named a hog "Sausage Balls", named one cat "Dammit" and another "Airborne" 

I always named the horses I intended to keep, and the ones I decided to part with were often called names not appropriate for polite company.

My dad always named his vehicles. He had an old Ford he called "Ole Blue". The car was a tan color, so I asked him why he called it that. "The engine is blue" was his response. 
JohnB View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct. 2020 at 9:43pm

Wheels painted and reinstalled. Glad to have completed before it got too cold to paint.
Bill2A View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill2A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct. 2020 at 2:14am
Hey John, looks good!

I took a moment to look at the data plate on the firewall.
S/N 14098.
Earlier than I remembered.
My early 46 might be a late 45!
1946 CJ2A 14098
Hamhog View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hamhog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct. 2020 at 2:38am
More progress on the 48...

Dave
19Cargo42 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 19Cargo42 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct. 2020 at 6:34pm
I'm still in parts-acquisition mode and picked up a very nice original rear seat for my '45 project. The plan is to strip down all the cushions, replace any springs that might be weak, then recover with new padding and covers that are as close to original as possible. Also sandblast and paint the frame.

oldscot3 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldscot3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct. 2020 at 10:12pm
I didn't like the strap and buckle for retaining my gas can, couldn't seem to get it as tight as I wanted. I found an online company that makes ratchet straps to order. I got flat hooks, a sewn on pad, rubber cushion and the length I wanted. for about $15.00. It's a little thing, but the can is very secure in the holder now and doesn't rattle.
James 4:6 God resists the proud, but gives grace to the humble.
bight View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct. 2020 at 11:21pm
customtiedowns.com will make them with stainless steel hardware. i had them make some up for my boston whaler and was very happy with the quality. the ratchets were fairly low profile also.
CJ-2A 72586 tan (stock)
CJ-2A 197624 green (resto-mod)
the wife abides (def: to bear patiently; TOLERATE)
Willy46cj2a View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Willy46cj2a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct. 2020 at 7:45pm
Drove it out of the woods behind my dad's house where it's been sitting for 5+ years!! A few hours of fiddling and she fired right up. It's in rough shape, but it'll be a fun project for my son and I. When I drove it out of the woods my son went to hop in the passenger seat and he said "dad there's no floor!!" To which I replied "there hasn't been a floor on the passenger side for 20 years!!
I'm sure we'll learn a lot from this forumn, thanks for letting me join.
drm101 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote drm101 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct. 2020 at 8:32pm
Installed Skyjacker hydro 7000’s today. Painted black for that sleeper look.

Dean
'47 CJ2A "Mud Hen"
The less the Power the More the Force
Oldpappy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oldpappy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct. 2020 at 1:10pm
Front axle work is complete, including 11" brake conversion. I plan to swap in the new axle this weekend and finish plumbing in the new brake lines for the front. This is a NOS M38A1 axle, so while mechanically "New", it was probably in storage since I was a kid so with emphasis on the "O" of "NOS" I replaced the pinion and hub seals, and the 11" conversion along with new brake lines takes care of all the other rubber components. Being a Marine M38A1 axle it has a limited slip differential. 

I have a military surplus M38 bleeder cap for the Master Cylinder which has a hose barb installed. These were intended for pressure bleeding the brakes which makes that job a whole lot faster and easier to do solo. Just pump up the pressure bottle, check for leaks, and then starting at left rear open up the bleeder valve until no air bubbles appear, then move on to the other three. 

I have considered leaving that cap on and routing a hose to a remove reservoir but haven't decided that is necessary with a completely new system which shouldn't leak anywhere, so that cap may reside in the tool box with my other brake tools so I can use it for the intended purpose on more than one Jeep.

My ancient Chihuahua "Chubby" got into a box of parts and chewed up some of my new "Ever Dry" spark plug boots. It was kind of funny, the old guy can't hardly get up and down the steps anymore, but he followed me down the steps to the basement, and while my attention was on what I was working on he somehow drug a box twice his size off a bottom shelf, got into it and opened the package of six spark plug boots. I heard him chomping on something and making contented noises, so I turned around and saw him tossing one of the boots and going after it. It was so funny to see that old dog acting like a puppy again I just couldn't be mad at him. Six to a kit anyway, so the one he destroyed doesn't matter, I only need four.

Hamhog View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hamhog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct. 2020 at 2:03pm

More progress.  Got the wiring installed and tested (minus the gas tank wiring).  All the lights work!  Installed the windshield, and restored license plates.  If you all are looking for a nice restoration of vintage plates, Lee Lawson does a great job (arkpl8s@att.net).

Dave
Oldpappy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oldpappy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct. 2020 at 3:33pm
That Jeep is too pretty to get mud on it Wink
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>