Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

October 2020 What did you do to your Willys?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct. 2020 at 6:35pm
Nice boot. I ran down to the local ACE to get 4) stainless button heads and 4) nylon washers and 2) oval head sheet metal screws to attach the Windshield clamps to the frame. And of course the #10 screws were just a hair to small in Diameter so I guess a second trip for #12's
Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
Late 50's 134L 9.25"clutch T90A D18 (1.25") D44/30 flanged E-Locker D25 5.38 Since 1962
otto View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote otto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct. 2020 at 6:55pm
Originally posted by John Cotner John Cotner wrote:

I finished my shift boot.  The local upholstery shop sold me some nice leather for $5, and I used the pattern from the web site.  After a few trial runs on fabric and some tweaking of the pattern, it turned out pretty good.  Now I'm ready to tackle a canvas top.  
Nice job on the shifter boot. You may also consider a sideline of making little hats!
47 CJ2A w/fuel injected boat engine
48 CJ2A
64 Ford Econoline Travelwagon
If you can't get there in a Jeep, get a motorcycle!
John Cotner View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Cotner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct. 2020 at 6:58pm
My wife once sewed costumes for the Super Bowl so I had as good teacher.
Thanks,
John Cotner
New Ulm, Minnesota
Bruce W View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct. 2020 at 11:26pm
  Big smile I washed it! First time since I don’t know when. It was looking pretty bad. I drove the 11miles in to town and spent $22.00. I might as well have stayed home, saved the gas, and flushed the money down the toilet!Angry  Once dried, it looked as dirty as it did before. No sign of any soap in the wash water, only in the foam brush. The brush did help with the wheels but the tires look as bad as they did before. I clicked on “TIRES & ENGINE” on the menu board and nothing happened. The timer continued to count down but nothing from the nozzle. I asked the attendant about it and he said, “They don’t want you washing your engine in here.” I said “Fine”, clicked it to “HIGH PRESSURE WASH” and washed it anyway. We used to get five minutes of washing for $.25, (yeah I know, that was a long time ago), now you get four minutes for $5.00! Ridiculous!Angry
  I have a crappy pressure washer, a bucket and a mitt. Next time I’ll just stay home and do it right, and spend the money on beer 🍺. 
  Did I mention, I’m pissed?
BW 
It is NOT a Jeep Willys! It is a Willys jeep.

Happy Trails! Good-bye, Good Luck, and May the Good Lord Take a Likin' to You!

We Have Miles to Jeep, Before We Sleep.
otto View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote otto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct. 2020 at 12:10am
I attempted to fine tune my jeep's fuel injected boat engine after ignoring it for six months or better. After the rebuild I got it to run and then jumped to other projects. It doesn't run good and I'm not sure why; I tried hooking up my laptop to the jeep's ECM and couldn't access the computers serial port. I think it may be because of the Windows 10 update the laptop needed to remote into my computer at work. 

I'm opening up a cold homebrew now- at least I fixed the fuse holder to the electric cooling fan.
47 CJ2A w/fuel injected boat engine
48 CJ2A
64 Ford Econoline Travelwagon
If you can't get there in a Jeep, get a motorcycle!
bight View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct. 2020 at 1:31am
got out for some mild fall weather off-road driving. it is great to take backroads at 35mph, chill out, and have some mild off-road adventures close to home. the little Jeep climbs the steeps like a little mountain goat.

CJ-2A 72586 tan (stock)
CJ-2A 197624 green (resto-mod)
the wife abides (def: to bear patiently; TOLERATE)
Steelyard Blues View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steelyard Blues Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct. 2020 at 2:18am

Saturday, for the fourth time this year, I pulled apart the parking brake assembly.

Two years ago, I cleaned all the 90w out, put new shoes and springs in. She worked great. At the beginning of the year, she suddenly stopped working. I pulled it apart, anyone who has been in there knows this is a pain in the …. So, the link popped off the lever. I reattached and everything was good. Then it did it again. Thinking the link was bad, I ordered a new link along with the spring and shoe pivot arm. Back together, she worked fine, for a short time. Then, the same thing. Apart it comes. This time, I notice the rivet holding the tab on the shoe pivot is lose. I try to hammer it tight, with little success. I really didn’t want to take the backing plate off. I put it all back together and try to tighten down the spring tension on the link to the arm thinking this was the issue. All back together and, with the first yank, it falls apart again. I noticed the arm had some excessive play where it attached to the stud. Since you cannot get the arm off without the backing plate backing plate being removed, I figured the bronze bushing was missing allowing the arm to rock and pop of the link. This all happened in the first three months of the year. I tracked down a NOS arm and found someone who said they had a NOS backing plate. I figured the play in the pivot tab rivet was also part of the problem. I waited for months for them to track down the backing plate and they could not find it.

Wanting to hit some trails next week and tired of not having the parking brake, I decided to tackle the problem once again. I took the backing plate off and attempted to hammer down the rivet. I ended up making a mess of it and the tab. So, I MIG welded it. The NOS arm was not the right one. I pushed out the bushing and installed it on the old arm. Back on the stud, the excessive play was still there. Consulting the parts book, I realized that there was supposed to be a flat washer under the nut to take up the play. Well, silly me for not looking at this long ago to realize somewhere along the line this washer was not reinstalled. All fluids back in with everything back together, she appears to work, so far. I cringe every time I pull this apart worried that I will tear the output seal. So far, leak free.

Sunday, I cleaned up the crack over my distributor and put some Permatex epoxy putty over it. It has been weeping since I got her and thought I would give this a try.

Monday, I installed a cigarette lighter socket. I didn’t want to drill any holes in the dash. So, I made a mounting bracket and attached to the dash support bracket using the hole to mount the circuit breaker on the military models. Now, I can use my Garmin GPS, charge a phone and run my little tire compressor. 

1947 CJ2A 106327, Engine J109205, Tub 97077. Luzon Red

https://www.thecj2apage.com/forums/steelyard-blues_topic41024_post397981.html?KW=micah+movie#397981

1965 Johnson Furnace Company M416 #6-1577
Oldpappy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oldpappy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct. 2020 at 1:18pm
The Permatex will probably do just fine, but if it doesn't hold, the way I have fixed that very common crack is to hog it out just a bit with a die grinder then seal it with JB Weld. Had one fixed that way which never leaked again in the years I owned it. 
If you can't get there in a Jeep you don't need to be there!
athawk11 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote athawk11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct. 2020 at 1:36pm
Originally posted by Bruce W Bruce W wrote:

Big smile I washed it! 
BW 

BW,
Am I rubbing off on you?LOL
1- 1946 CJ2A   
2- 1949 CJ3A
Bruce W View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct. 2020 at 5:24pm
Originally posted by athawk11 athawk11 wrote:

Originally posted by Bruce W Bruce W wrote:

Big smile I washed it! 
BW 

BW,
Am I rubbing off on you?LOL

Maybe just a little bit. Big smile 
I’d love to have a jeep or any vehicle that looked as nice as yours. Something I could take pride in, and could tell a difference whether it was clean or dirty. 
BW 
It is NOT a Jeep Willys! It is a Willys jeep.

Happy Trails! Good-bye, Good Luck, and May the Good Lord Take a Likin' to You!

We Have Miles to Jeep, Before We Sleep.
Hamhog View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hamhog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct. 2020 at 5:41pm
Originally posted by bight bight wrote:

Hamhog, in these seemingly dark days, i feel compelled to say that you bring on some light with your ambition, achievements, and skills. to you and the others on this site, i thank you all for what you contribute and share.

Thanks! I’ve gained a lot from the guys here, as well. A bunch of knowledgeable and great folks on this site!
Dave
Stev View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct. 2020 at 6:01pm
Started the vehicle prep for the Ohio Fall Colors ride:

30 psi in the Super tractions
Oiled the distributor
Oiled the choke and throttle cables
Oiled the pivot points on the carb
Added oil to the engine
Adjusted the idle speed
Fixed the transfer case shift boot
Drove it and hammered the brakes - all is good
Checked the parking brake on the hill to confirm it will hold on a hill
Added air the trailer tires

Still need to lube the frame zerks before October 17th.

Stev
1946 CJ2A Trail Jeep (The Saint), 1948 CJ2A Lefty Restored
Oldpappy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oldpappy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct. 2020 at 8:34pm
Over the weekend I could not complete my axle work as I am waiting on parts, so I install a horn, and did some other rewiring. Then I crawled under to took at my parking brake to find it is just an empty drum, no shoes inside, nothing else inside, and the lever is missing. No wonder it wouldn't hold on a hill Cry

Actually the cane and cable were missing too, so couldn't try it out anyway. 

Afraid mine isn't ready for a Fall Colors ride, but maybe I'll have her ready for trout season in the Spring.
If you can't get there in a Jeep you don't need to be there!
Steelyard Blues View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steelyard Blues Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct. 2020 at 10:24pm
Parking brake repair lasted one day. I'm going to start a thread for suggestions. 

Parmatex appears to be holding on the crack.

Micah
1947 CJ2A 106327, Engine J109205, Tub 97077. Luzon Red

https://www.thecj2apage.com/forums/steelyard-blues_topic41024_post397981.html?KW=micah+movie#397981

1965 Johnson Furnace Company M416 #6-1577
JohnB View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct. 2020 at 12:22am

Painted logos in Harvard red today. Wheels next.
MSG Keane View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MSG Keane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct. 2020 at 1:32am
I drove 11 hours (5 1/2 hours one way), to drop my motor and transmission at Joe Deyoung's machine shop for a rebuild. Joe wasn't in, but I did get a quick peek at his awesome Jeep collection. I think it was a day well spent.
berettajeep View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote berettajeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct. 2020 at 1:39am
I moved it so I could add the newest Jeep to the graveyard LOL
My girlfriend bought a non-Jeep to replace the Liberty and the dealership did not want it for a trade in. 

bight View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct. 2020 at 1:25am
worked on the teenie bikini. repurposed top from an old full soft top. made removable velcro webbing straps to secure to back footman loops. used cam buckle straps for tensioners. still waiting for threaded studs for the windshield and will install leading edge snaps in top once those studs are installed.

CJ-2A 72586 tan (stock)
CJ-2A 197624 green (resto-mod)
the wife abides (def: to bear patiently; TOLERATE)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>