Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Period correct alternative Tire to NDT

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ersatzS2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Period correct alternative Tire to NDT
    Posted: 09 Oct. 2020 at 3:08pm
My five year comprehensive 2A restoration is coming to conclusion, finally time to pick out tires.  I bought some Goodyear NDT, but I'm just not happy with the stance.  Is anyone else running the STA Traxion series, or other period appropriate alternative?  I'd love to see photos, especially in different sizes for 16" wheels.
Thanks!

Oldpappy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Oldpappy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct. 2020 at 5:03pm
Mine had Power King Super Traction II tires on it when I got it. They were 750 X 16 so big tires. I liked the look of them but they were rotten, so I replaced with NDT. These tires are still available and are "Period Correct" appearance wise.

I do have one picture of the Jeep with the old tires still on it.

If you are not going to keep the Goodyear NDTs I might be interested in them. I drive through the Southern part of Virginia a few times a year on my way up to WV. 
If you can't get there in a Jeep you don't need to be there!
athawk11 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote athawk11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct. 2020 at 6:47pm
This is a nice choice at a nice price through Summit Racing.  16 x 6.5 Super Traxion.

1- 1946 CJ2A   
2- 1949 CJ3A
wild1joker View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wild1joker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct. 2020 at 1:19am
ATHAWK11 - Really nice . so clean. Do you have a build in the forums?

Grumpy1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grumpy1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct. 2020 at 12:37pm
I can’t help but notice your spare is in the WRONG place. It’s just not correct, 
ndnchf View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ndnchf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct. 2020 at 12:46pm
STA Super Traxions on my CJ2A. They are great tires, very happy with them.

1948 CJ2A - It goes nowhere fast, but anywhere slow.
Joe Friday View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joe Friday Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct. 2020 at 1:32pm
Originally posted by Grumpy1 Grumpy1 wrote:

I can’t help but notice your spare is in the WRONG place. It’s just not correct, 

Not if you want to comply with the trail width limit in South Dakota...
smfulle View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smfulle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct. 2020 at 2:45pm

Are you trying to make Tim grumpy? Smile
Stan
48 CJ2A (Grampa's Jeep)
59 Chevy 1/2 ton
Grampa's Jeep Build Thread
smfulle View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smfulle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct. 2020 at 2:59pm
Tires,
Lots of threads here about tires. I usually throw in one of these comments and then stop participating.
What is your end goal? Climb up stuff, or look cool? Either of these end goals is ok with me.
NDTs climb up stuff, Super Tractions/Power Kings look cool, although I think NDTs are more cool looking.
Blah blah blah, wet pavement, blah blah blah packed snow. 
How often do you drive on wet pavement with your jeep? How often to you drive on packed snow with your jeep? Slow down on wet pavement. Get some chains for packed snow.
Full disclosure, I have never owned any Super Traction tires, but I have wheeled with guys that run them and I have watched hours of video of jeeps with various tire models. NDTs win in mud. NDTs win on slick rock. NDTs win in loose gravel. NDTs win in rolling lava marbles. 
Just my opinion and observations. Your mileage may vary.
Stan
48 CJ2A (Grampa's Jeep)
59 Chevy 1/2 ton
Stev View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct. 2020 at 3:21pm
If he only had NDTs.  He would have made it (Added comment - He had no chance with the L134 - just not enough HP to keep the momentum on the long gravel hill climb).

Super Tractions loaded with mud - but if he only had NDTs!  (added comment: Actually the STA work great in the mud but when it is slippery clay - nothing works  that well).
Stev
1946 CJ2A Trail Jeep (The Saint), 1948 CJ2A Lefty Restored
Oldpappy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oldpappy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct. 2020 at 3:30pm
NDTs not only look cool they are a nod to the origin of the Jeep.

I do like the look of the NDTs I have put on my Jeep better than the big snow tires that were on it. 

I am in the process of changing out the front axle, so it is not the time for taking a new picture, but it looks like a CJ2A with NDTs, I am sure everyone has seen one.

The Jeeps I drove at hunting camps when I was a kid were both WW2 Jeeps my uncles owned, both with military NDT tires and I never noticed any problem driving them in mud, snow, or on wet pavement.

I was between 11-15 years old and didn't worry much about stuff like that then, but the "pavement" up in the mountains where we hunted were narrow tar and gravel mountain roads, so driving fast was never an option anyway. 

I never liked the look of the big, wide wheels and tires some put on these old Jeeps, just doesn't look right to me.

athawk11 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote athawk11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct. 2020 at 4:00pm
Originally posted by wild1joker wild1joker wrote:

ATHAWK11 - Really nice . so clean. Do you have a build in the forums?

Thank you.  I have a couple builds.  They are at the 3A Page forum. Some of the photo links are broken through the middle of the yellow Willys.  I'm working on replacing them...

Originally posted by Joe Friday Joe Friday wrote:

Not if you want to comply with the trail width limit in South Dakota...

Precisely!   

Grumpy...always looking for a chink in my armor. 
1- 1946 CJ2A   
2- 1949 CJ3A
Oldpappy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oldpappy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct. 2020 at 7:49pm
I don't know if they have trail width limits around here, but whether they do or not I would rather not get hung up by a wheel hanging off the side. I put a M38 tailgate on my CJ2A and plan to use it for what it is designed for. 

That yellow Jeep sure is a nice one! 
3A Steve View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3A Steve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct. 2020 at 11:14pm
As to tire placement, I had my 3a spare on the right side. Went to a CFCT and it ripped the metal. The spare ended up next to the rear seat. Next year, put the tire on the tail gate with as much bracing as I could come up with. Ripped the tail gate all the way across the top part. Put an M38 tail gate on. Have driven some really rough trails (Rauch Creek following JPET comes to mind). No problem. Everything is tight. By the way, I still like my Firestone Destination MT's (215/85/16)...
BD1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BD1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct. 2020 at 2:47am
Same in Maine. 60" is the common gap left when closing woods roods to "traffic".
BD
'47 CJ2a, Shiny on top!
'55 CJ5 project
jeepsterjim View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeepsterjim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct. 2020 at 4:15am
NDT's may look good but SUCK in the dunes. Nothing but gravediggers.  Side mount spare tires are good for parades, street cruising, and car shows. Watched Jeepers rip the spare and mount right off in narrow canyons and trees. JMHO.  You do what you wish. That's the fun of owning a Willys.
Jim
CJ-2A - 81299
smfulle View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smfulle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct. 2020 at 6:25am
Originally posted by jeepsterjim jeepsterjim wrote:

NDT's may look good but SUCK in the dunes. Nothing but gravediggers.  Side mount spare tires are good for parades, street cruising, and car shows. Watched Jeepers rip the spare and mount right off in narrow canyons and trees. JMHO.  You do what you wish. That's the fun of owning a Willys.

Can’t argue with the less than stellar dune performance. I have found that they are much better in the sand if you air them down to 8 psi or less if you dare.

I have found that an even bigger issue in loose sand is horsepower. The little Go Devil has a hard time powering through the soft sand, especially if you go with some big heavy sand appropriate tires.

Sometimes it’s just the driver that makes the difference.

Stan
48 CJ2A (Grampa's Jeep)
59 Chevy 1/2 ton
jeepsterjim View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeepsterjim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct. 2020 at 7:07am
Originally posted by smfulle smfulle wrote:

Originally posted by jeepsterjim jeepsterjim wrote:

Can’t argue with the less than stellar dune performance. I have found that they are much better in the sand if you air them down to 8 psi or less if you dare.

I have found that an even bigger issue in loose sand is horsepower. The little Go Devil has a hard time powering through the soft sand, especially if you go with some big heavy sand appropriate tires.

Sometimes it’s just the driver that makes the difference.

The driver is the most important part of Jeeping.  We had a friend with a stock 3A that went more places then the V-8 guys. He did have 8" wheels and Gate Commando tires though.

Yes the 4 banger lacks when dune running BUT I sure had fun with the pedal to the metal......solved it with a Shelby 302 V-8

Your pics look similar to the coral Reef Sand Dunes, a little South of St. George.  Fun place back in the early 70's.

Jim
CJ-2A - 81299
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>