Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Noob Here

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CJKett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Noob Here
    Posted: 25 Oct. 2020 at 4:28pm
Hey All! 
I have always wanted to get into classic restoration. I am Jeep obsessed and have decided I want to learn on a Willys. I’m hoping the experts here might be able to help me to know what I should be looking for (and what to avoid) when picking out my new project? Looking forward to learning! Thank you! 
~Cassi
TateC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TateC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct. 2020 at 4:59pm
Welcome to the page and the crazy world of Willys collecting.
My first advice to buy the most complete vehicle you possibly can. Next I would tell you to study some of the excellent restored Jeeps displayed here in build threads so you can see what’s been modified or changed. A common joke is bubbas modifications to these old vehicles which you have to watch for because they can be unsafe or lessen the value. Keep you eyes open and be willing to wait for a better one. Happy hunting! 
Tate Christensen
1941 Ford GP #9687
1943 Willys MB #263100
1944 Ford GPW #234613
1945 Willys CJ2A #10226
SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct. 2020 at 5:14pm
Welcome to the Forum! We love pictures.

My advice to you is to not only look at the completeness of a potential project, but to also remember that you are going to eventually want to drive your project. With that in mind look for a project vehicle that has a good title. Buying one without a good title can delay any legal driving for weeks or even months...possibly never in certain states.

One other thing to remember is what your goal is. Is it a complete restoration or will you allow certain modifications for comfort, reliability and safety? I would encourage you to DRIVE YOUR PROJECT FIRST if at all possible so you can enjoy it and find out its strengths and weaknesses. After you have driven it you will be better prepared to know what needs to be done in a restoration and you will have some idea of the thrill of driving your rig. Some have started a restoration project without having driven their rig and given up because they never knew the enjoyment of just driving a jeep and they just gave up on the restore. Driving it first gives you a reason for finishing the project.

Good luck in your search for you project jeep. If you need advice there are dozens on this Forum that will be happy to instruct you on any subject that is jeep and do it just to advance the hobby. Don't be discouraged; remember that everyone of us started out with little knowledge of what it takes to restore and drive a jeep.
46 CJ-2A #64462 "Ol' Red" (bought April 1969)(second owner)(12 V, 11" brakes, M-38 frame, MD Juan tub)

U.S. Coast Guard Chief Petty Officer(ret.)
U.S. Army Vietnam veteran and damned proud of it.

mbullism View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbullism Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct. 2020 at 5:38pm
Welcome Thumbs Up...  Flatties are an awesome place to learn, in that they are by their nature pretty basic.  Two schools of thought-  if the end goal is primary, then buy as much jeep as you can to start...if the journey to the end goal is primary, go in eyes wide open and try to find a jeep that's strong where you are weak...

You can buy a pretty well done ride in the 10-12k range or more, pretty much done, fixed cost.... or you can drop 4k on a runner and spend 6-8k and 2 years not driving it to get to about the same place (and figure in tools you need and don't have, etc.).  Both approaches are valid, though the built not bought brings a different kind of satisfaction (and attachment Embarrassed )

The advice above is spot on...paperwork is gold in MA, notsomuch in other places.  Whatever you do, there's a ton of info already here for free, more free for the asking, and in my opinion not a better group of folks on the net Beer
Those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it... Welcome to 1930's Germany
CJKett View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CJKett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct. 2020 at 7:12pm
Thank you for the responses! I am going to look at this guy today: 
I will take the advice you have shared so far with me! 
More to come! 
JeepFever View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JeepFever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct. 2020 at 8:08pm
If you are looking for restoration,  that one is far from original,  later/larger engine,  steering,  probably a lot more "upgrades".  
mbullism View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbullism Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct. 2020 at 8:18pm
Originally posted by JeepFever JeepFever wrote:

If you are looking for restoration,  that one is far from original,  later/larger engine,  steering,  probably a lot more "upgrades".  

+ master cylinder, additional(?) gas tank, the rocker rear corner diamond plate is usually hiding rust through, the radiator has been cut into the grill to move it forward, rear bumper, tailgate likely a repop, 3a? windshield... without even really looking Wink

Its a "salad" (not a bad thing in and of itself, but if you’re looking to "restore a 2a" there are better starting points for less out there)

One man's opinion, and you got it for free on the internet LOL
Those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it... Welcome to 1930's Germany
Bruce W View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct. 2020 at 8:19pm
  Well, it all depends on what you want, but I would pass on that one. But I’m known here as a “purist”.  I like my jeeps as Willys-Overland made them. This one has been heavily modified, and modifications don’t come without problems. You never know what you’re stepping into. 
  Incidentally, since you’re new, I’ll attempt to straighten one thing out - That’s not a Jeep Willys. It’s a Willys jeep. Willys, or Willys-Overland, is the make, and “jeep” is the model. “Jeep” was not a trade name until 1952, and until then “jeep” was a type of vehicle, like “station wagon” or “pickup”. 
  Back to the jeep in question: If that’s what you want, and the conversions are done well, it might be worth the price. 
BW 
It is NOT a Jeep Willys! It is a Willys jeep.

Happy Trails! Good-bye, Good Luck, and May the Good Lord Take a Likin' to You!

We Have Miles to Jeep, Before We Sleep.
TateC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TateC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct. 2020 at 9:00pm
Hey! I didn’t see you were in Salt Lake. We have a few Utah people on the forum. 
Tate Christensen
1941 Ford GP #9687
1943 Willys MB #263100
1944 Ford GPW #234613
1945 Willys CJ2A #10226
CJKett View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CJKett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct. 2020 at 9:07pm
All, thank you kindly for all of the feedback! 
I think I’m going to pass on this one, sounds like it might be a bit more risky and not quite what I was going for. Thank you again! Learning a lot already! 😀
Bill2A View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill2A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct. 2020 at 2:36am
Welcome aboard. 
Before you buy, spend some time here reading.
It can help you get a feel for what others have already done and been through.
That might inspire you or save some time and trouble later.
1946 CJ2A 14098
cal.bar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cal.bar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct. 2020 at 2:48am
Also, try not to  buy from a 3rd party vender (they just mark them up). Try to fine one being sold by the actual owner.  You WILL get a better price AND you MIGHT have a chance of finding out what is REALLY wrong with it and what it will need to run correctly.  Be realistic about it.  It WILL need WORK.  LOTS of it.  It WILL need maintenance (WAAAAY more than a modern car).  Do you have a place for it to leak? (b/c it will).  Do you have a place to work on it? (b/c you WILL need to).  Do you have the time/patience/budget to work on it. Don't forget TOOLS. Ratchet sets, impact wrench, torque wrench, floor jack, jack stands, transmission jack, the list goes on. No complaints mind you, I've loved working on and learning from my Jeep.  Just go in eyes open.

willyt View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote willyt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct. 2020 at 1:14pm
Do you watch ewillys.com? Might find something in your area.
1952 CJ3A (Lil'Green)
early M38A1(Ole Green)
1970 Jeepster Commando
42rocker View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 42rocker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct. 2020 at 3:46am
Good Luck in finding one than you, you like. You can find any amount of trouble that you want out there. Some might say running and no major rust out is a good start, that costs. Other want to buy that pile of jeep parts from Sarco and jump right in selling and trading and building and welding and painting till they have what they want. Did I say Buying and Buying and Buying enough? Really there seems to be a lot of Great folks on this site that can help you out. As seen from above posts.
But Great deals are few and far between and the jeep prices don't seem to be dropping. So think about jumping in there someplace. 
Again good luck in finding one You want. You know your skill level. Tools, Welding, Painting, Buying, Selling and researching. 

Stay Safe

Later 42rocker
 Post Reply Post Reply