Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Jeep Photos and Stories
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Hot Air Balloon

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Bob W View Drop Down

Sponsor Member x 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Hot Air Balloon
    Posted: 26 Nov. 2020 at 2:33am
Typically the Chase Crew arrives before the balloon, if possible, and secures permission to land.
Barry S View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barry S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov. 2020 at 11:14pm
My cousin crewed for a balloon pilot in the chase vehicle.  The pilot would touch down and have someone go ask for the property owners permission before actually landing.  He always carried a bottle of bubbly or wine to show his appreciation.  Hope you enjoyed yours!  Awesome photos by the way.  Thanks for sharing!

-Barry 
1947 CJ2A 93664 "Grasshopper"
1947 CJ2A 90729
194? CJ2A 04893/194304
1946 CJ2A 46745
1946 CJ2A 36723
1945 MB   413665
1971 CJ5 8305017 375392 Drive train parts donor
Bantam Trailer T3-C 25487
Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov. 2020 at 4:09pm
We had the opposite thing happen. We worked for years to get a Control Line Model Airplane flying circle paved at the Salem Airport. (175" D asphalt circle) And one day this Yahoo and his Balloon drives on to our field (we lease it from the city) and tromps across our perimeter safety rope and sets up his balloon for a photo shoot. He thought how nice our big paved circle would look in his ads.

I as the club president find out this after the fact so I gave him a call and asked for our rent. He got all indignant so I lit him up for about 30sec. Then I contacted the airport security and made sure they knew this was not allowed (Our lease and insurance is very very specific about what can take place on our flying field.

But other then that I like Balloons and have enjoyed the Albany Balloon fest a number of times.

Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
Late 50's 134L 9.25"clutch T90A D18 (1.25") D44/30 flanged E-Locker D25 5.38 Since 1962
bosshoff View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bosshoff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov. 2020 at 2:58pm
Yes, if they land on your property tradition is to give you a bottle of champagne.  As a kid one landed in our front field.
Chop chop
BGarth13 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BGarth13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov. 2020 at 1:53am
Yes, unannounced and uninvited.  There was an outfit that did balloon rides near where I grew up and they would crash land in the cow fields early Sunday mornings.  Of course, then they expected to drive in the field, with the curious cows, spinning tires in wet soil the whole way to collect the balloon.  I remember my father not being a big fan of the hot air balloons.
JeepFever View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JeepFever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Nov. 2020 at 9:43pm

Wow,  that is so cool!

Got me thinking though,   where do balloons normally land?  . .  since they have no control of direction.  Is it common to arrive un-announced?

Tried doing a little search,  but did not get definitive answer.    Found this interesting statement though ->

"A common tradition among balloonists is to have a champagne toast upon landing. Legend has it that early French aeronauts carried champagne to appease angry or frightened spectators at the landing site" LOL
42rocker View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 42rocker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Nov. 2020 at 8:51pm
Neat. Way to cool. Nice of you to offer help. 
It is nice to see a lot of folks wearing masks in your area. 

Stay Safe 

Later 42rocker
Michaeltru View Drop Down

Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Michaeltru Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov. 2020 at 7:12pm
Pretty balloon.  But darned close to landing on your utility boxes?
Mike in AZ
dluber View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dluber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov. 2020 at 6:44pm
Yes, unannounced.  I saw six balloons early in the morning about 10 miles away.  About 40 minutes later, I was having coffee in my kitchen and I heard the rush of propane/flames - it sounded like it was over the house but it was really out in the front yard. 
jeeper50 View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeeper50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov. 2020 at 6:22pm
Whata bunch of hot air LOL...

Were they unannounced? 

Belleview ol skool winch soon.
'48 CJ2A 283 V8 sm 420 granny low, tera low D18, overdrive,lockers

Texan at heart,Alabama by retirement

mbullism View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbullism Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov. 2020 at 5:54pm
Well THAT's a change of pace LOL
Those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it... Welcome to 1930's Germany
dluber View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dluber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov. 2020 at 11:36am
We has an unexpected visitor yesterday morning, a hot air balloon landed on our front lawn.  Turned out is was a fun way to start the weekend.  As expected, I had to dispatch the appropriate reconnaissance vehicle to assess the situation. Smile

Post Reply Post Reply