Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Ever since I started on CHUG

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Ever since I started on CHUG
    Posted: 25 Nov. 2020 at 5:39pm
I have wanted some sort of hood lock. I thought about classic muscle car type flush mount hood pins with the locks and ruled them out for a couple reasons (UGLY and not enough vertical room under the hood to mount) then I came up with a slick idea for Windshield blocks with tops that would slide back to reveal hidden cabinet type locks. (these went away as to complicated. I thought about the traditional long cable and latch setup most modern car have and a variation of this using an electric solenoid.

Well last night I came up with another idea. Using the original hood latches. Welding a loop to the barrel of the latch and then using an eye bolt as one of the latch anchor bolts. Then a simple padlock could be looped through the two eyes. Preventing the Latch from extending longer and allowing it to come out of the notch mounted on the hood.

I think I might try this cause if it doesn't work or I don't like how it looks to replace the Hood Latches is only a few bucks $14.00 at Walcks.

The thing would be to find a padlock that could wrap around the barrel of the catch and pass though each loop and not rattle around.

And sure unless a guy got real lucky and the loop on the padlock fit real tight someone with a set of Bolt cutters could defeat it. But then that could be said about almost any type of hood lock.

Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
Late 50's 134L 9.25"clutch T90A D18 (1.25") D44/30 flanged E-Locker D25 5.38 Since 1962
48willys View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 48willys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov. 2020 at 5:52pm
Rugged ridge makes a set of locking hood latches for the cj5 . No idea what quality they are or how they work, but I don’t see why they wouldn’t bolt right to the CJ2A.
Ok, well the first site I went to said they would fit, but Rugged Ridge site says they only fit the TJ.
1946 cj2a #28680
1948 chevy 3800 thriftmaster
1946-50's cj2a-3a farm jeep
1993 yj, aka the yj7
Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov. 2020 at 7:13pm
Interesting if you work through the drop down it says it will fit a 71 CJ-5 which is pretty much the same as a 2A hood. There is a review on Amazon where someone says they can be adapted to a Willys hood. BUT $60 with shipping is a bunch of money to find out if they work. I'll have to think on these thanks for pointing them out.
Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
Late 50's 134L 9.25"clutch T90A D18 (1.25") D44/30 flanged E-Locker D25 5.38 Since 1962
Ron D View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ron D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov. 2020 at 4:25am
I know it's America and your jeep and you can do what makes you happy, but I'm curious --- why the hood lock? Locks are for honest folk. As you said, any lock can be defeated.
1951 M38
1951 M100
Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov. 2020 at 4:44am
I plan on doing a lot of travel in Chug and I would prefer not to have people poking around under my hood when I am not around.
Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
Ron D View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ron D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov. 2020 at 5:48am
I prefer that too! Cannot imagine what I'd do if I caught somebody poking around under my hood.

For me it's battery master cutoff switch, dead crank switch, fuel cut-off valve, and if I'm feeling lucky I stick the rotor in my pocket. Still thinking about buying a Doberman, but chow and vet bills ain't cheap. Figured that's enough. Don't want anybody thinking I'm paranoid. LOL

And if all that fails, Hagerty said he'll take care of me Big smile. Good luck!
1951 M38
1951 M100
duffer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote duffer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov. 2020 at 3:23am
I used the cylindrical hood locks on my 3B.  They engage "studs" I mounted on my radiator support.  A lot has changed under that hood since the photo but not the locks.

No doubt someone could just cram a big bar under the hood and break things but it keeps the more casual types out.  The B also has a fuel disconnect of sorts in that the fuel pump will not function unless proper procedures are taken and there are two battery cutoff switches, not to mention a relatively well hid battery.
1955 3B: 441sbc,AGE 4 speed transmission, Teralow D18w/Warn OD, 4.11:1 D44's/ARB's, glass tub & fenders, aluminum hood/grill, 8274, York OBA, Premier Power Welder; 67 CJ5: 225,T86AA, D18, 4.88's, OD
WillysWally View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WillysWally Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov. 2020 at 1:32pm
Good Morning Mark:

You must be either a machinist or an engineer, or both, in your other life!!! What incredible work!

I just cant quite figure out though, whether you are building a jeep or a tank -- as solid as it looks!Clap

I hope to see it in person some time.

Regards,

Walter
Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov. 2020 at 4:00pm
I think mostly I am building an ulcer. My past claim to fame is as a Custom Knifemaker Which includes Machinist, Engineer, Draftsman, Photographer, Woodworker, Metallurgist, Jeweler, Salesman, among other skills. I also took auto tech at college in the very late 70's and did a bunch of muscle car like street and drag strip racing as a kid.

Now I drive Dump truck and pup trailer for a paving co.

Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
Ducati Rod View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ducati Rod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov. 2020 at 4:46pm
Originally posted by duffer duffer wrote:

I used the cylindrical hood locks on my 3B.  They engage "studs" I mounted on my radiator support.  A lot has changed under that hood since the photo but not the locks.

I'm very impressed with how good the SBC seems to fit due to your efforts!! I'm thinking 283 at some point because I have two orig, Hi per types. In any case, coming from the plumbing business, I couldn't help but notice the water pump type pressure switch you have there. What's it do??

No doubt someone could just cram a big bar under the hood and break things but it keeps the more casual types out.  The B also has a fuel disconnect of sorts in that the fuel pump will not function unless proper procedures are taken and there are two battery cutoff switches, not to mention a relatively well hid battery.
 Post Reply Post Reply