Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

1946 CJ2A New Member

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lniels Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1946 CJ2A New Member
    Posted: 26 Nov. 2020 at 7:24pm
Hello new member here. I’m located in SE Idaho. This board is so full of good info, happy to have found it.

I picked up a ‘46 Cj2A (Titled as a ‘47 but the #76342 says ‘46) that needs a lot of help a few weeks ago and am hoping to get some insights on what I have and where to start.

My current plan is to get the thing running and safe to go down the road, then figure out what I want to change. My goal for the Jeep is just a fun reliable simple driver for mild trails and to putt around town.

Someone put a lot of work into this a long time ago. It has a 225 V6 to what I think is a T14/Dana 18 combo. It has a deep one piece bellhousing. It has a frankenstein swinging pedal setup and a hydraulic clutch. I have no idea what the donor was? Brake Master is also unknown but it is a dual circuit. Axles appear to be original D25/D41. It has power steering and a tilt GM column.

Someone put big brakes on it at some point but that whole system needs gone through.

The wiring is a disaster, mix of old/new splices everywhere missing insulation, very sketchy. Probably the first thing that needs to be fixed.

It has Rancho Springs, no idea of how much lift?

Thanks in advance for any insights.
Here’s a few pictures

Is this a factory part? Appears to have been bolted to the windshield frame.

Fltfndr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fltfndr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov. 2020 at 7:58pm
I have a 48 with the same 225, T-14, D-18, but have a 44 in the rear. Have added lockers and 11 in brakes with power steering.  You will love the torque from the V-6 and the 50# flywheel
Fltfndr
1948 CJ2A Restomod "Six Pac"
The object of war is not to die for your country, but make the other bastard die for his. George S. Patton
Barry S View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barry S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov. 2020 at 10:59pm
Hi Lniels!  Welcome aboard!  Look like you've got a good solid start.  Using the search on here there's probably no subject someone else has not worked through.  Everyone has been so willing to share and help - I know I can't thank these folks enough.  One thing I've found though - everyone likes photos.  Keep em coming as your project goes along.

Happy Thanksgiving!

-Barry
1947 CJ2A 93664 "Grasshopper"
1947 CJ2A 90729
194? CJ2A 04893/194304
1946 CJ2A 46745
1946 CJ2A 36723
1945 MB   413665
1971 CJ5 8305017 375392 Drive train parts donor
Bantam Trailer T3-C 25487
cpt logger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cpt logger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov. 2020 at 1:22am
Welcome aboard!

I like your plan, stick with it.

I think that the brake master cylinder maybe from some GM vehicle. Perhaps a 1970 1/2 ton Chevy pickup?

I have no clue as to the clutch master cylinder, Datsun?

IMHO, That V-6 is the best engine for these Jeeps. I personally like the sound of the Odd fire, but that is personal preference.

I have had the stock engines as well as a few small block V-8s in these Willys. IME, the Buick V-6 with the 50 lb flywheel is the best for trail use. It is also good for most daily driver use, freeways excepted. The 5.375:1 gear ratios in the  axles make the engine rev too much for freeway speeds. An overdrive helps, but sustained freeway speeds are just too fast for almost any engine in a rig geared so low.

I would guess that the diamond plate rear corner panels are hiding some serious rust issues. As rust is the main reason that those are installed. Once installed those panels hold the moisture in between them & the steel body which causes more rust. I hope that I am wrong about that.

In any case, welcome to the madness! IHTH, Cpt Logger.

PS. You posted some good pictures. Could we have some close ups of the item from the windscreen frame? We really like pictures. As I tell my sons, the more the merrier. You can not have too many pictures!

Lniels View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lniels Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov. 2020 at 1:51am
Thanks for the responses, I appreciate the input.

I’ll put up a few more detail pics of that part, should have added that it is a light of some kind. 
42rocker View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 42rocker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov. 2020 at 2:00am
Happy Thanksgiving and Welcome aboard.

Enjoy the build.

Stay Safe

Later 42rocker
TateC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TateC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov. 2020 at 3:15am
Welcome to the forum! Where in Idaho are you? We have some property somewhat near Pocatello 
Tate Christensen
1941 Ford GP #9687
1943 Willys MB #263100
1944 Ford GPW #234613
1945 Willys CJ2A #10226
otto View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote otto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov. 2020 at 3:30am
Originally posted by Lniels Lniels wrote:

Hello new member here. I’m located in SE Idaho. This board is so full of good info, happy to have found it.

I picked up a ‘46 Cj2A (Titled as a ‘47 but the #76342 says ‘46) that needs a lot of help a few weeks ago and am hoping to get some insights on what I have and where to start.

My current plan is to get the thing running and safe to go down the road, then figure out what I want to change. My goal for the Jeep is just a fun reliable simple driver for mild trails and to putt around town.

Someone put a lot of work into this a long time ago. It has a 225 V6 to what I think is a T14/Dana 18 combo. It has a deep one piece bellhousing. It has a frankenstein swinging pedal setup and a hydraulic clutch. I have no idea what the donor was? Brake Master is also unknown but it is a dual circuit. Axles appear to be original D25/D41. It has power steering and a tilt GM column.

Someone put big brakes on it at some point but that whole system needs gone through.

The wiring is a disaster, mix of old/new splices everywhere missing insulation, very sketchy. Probably the first thing that needs to be fixed.

It has Rancho Springs, no idea of how much lift?

Thanks in advance for any insights.
Here’s a few pictures

Is this a factory part? Appears to have been bolted to the windshield frame.

Your mystery part appears to be a map light from an airplane. My dad had one of those lights in his truck when I was young. He "acquired" it when he was in the Air Force, said it came out of a bomber of some sort- does yours have a red lens cover on it? 
47 CJ2A w/fuel injected boat engine
48 CJ2A
64 Ford Econoline Travelwagon
If you can't get there in a Jeep, get a motorcycle!
Lniels View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lniels Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov. 2020 at 3:38am
TateC, I live in Preston

Otto, This light has a clear lens, the wires are old and in a cloth loom. I’ll put up a few more pics tomorrow.

TateC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TateC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov. 2020 at 4:34am
Originally posted by Lniels Lniels wrote:

TateC, I live in Preston

How cool, we head through your area often as we have a little place in Downey 
Tate Christensen
1941 Ford GP #9687
1943 Willys MB #263100
1944 Ford GPW #234613
1945 Willys CJ2A #10226
Lniels View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lniels Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov. 2020 at 3:51pm
TateC: It is a small world sometimes. Funny how that is.

Here’s a couple closer pics of that light.

It has a brass body, there’s a little button on the top rear and a dial on the bottom side. I haven’t hooked it up to a battery to see if it works, not sure if it’s 12V/6V or what.
otto View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote otto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov. 2020 at 4:52pm
That looks like the same light my dad has. The red lens I mentioned attaches to the light over the clear lens with some spring clips and is retained by a short ball chain. I guess the red lens dims the light so to not cause glare in the cockpit. It's a cool piece, should be 12V. Dad was in the USAF in the 50s, so that's likely the vintage of your light also.

The button operates a momentary flash feature and the red dial turns the light on and may also be a potentiometer for variable brightness. It should have a detent style mount so you can just pull it out and then snap it back in.
47 CJ2A w/fuel injected boat engine
48 CJ2A
64 Ford Econoline Travelwagon
If you can't get there in a Jeep, get a motorcycle!
Bruce W View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov. 2020 at 5:04pm
  Red light will not dim your night vision. Eyes react quickly to white light but take some time to return to night-vision mode.
  I would try the light on 6 volts first. If it lights dimly or not at all, try 12. If it's from the '50s, it might be 24 volt. Cool thing.
BW
It is NOT a Jeep Willys! It is a Willys jeep.

Happy Trails! Good-bye, Good Luck, and May the Good Lord Take a Likin' to You!

We Have Miles to Jeep, Before We Sleep.
drm101 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote drm101 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov. 2020 at 5:12pm
That's a nice find. Looking forward to watching your progress.
Dean
'47 CJ2A "Ron"
'66 CJ5 "Buckie"
The less the Power the More the Force
Bill2A View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill2A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov. 2020 at 8:27pm
Welcome.
I think you have a good game plan.
1946 CJ2A 14098
Lniels View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lniels Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov. 2020 at 2:50am
Thanks to all for taking the time to read/respond, The input is very much appreciated.
 Post Reply Post Reply