Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Off-Topic area
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

WOW how the world does change

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: WOW how the world does change
    Posted: 01 Dec. 2020 at 6:54pm
So I call my insurance agent. The young lady that answers the phone and I explain what I want. First asks me if I am already a customer of theirs. I resist telling her Yes since before you were born from the sounds of it.

She then tells me the person I need to talk to is currently on the phone and can call me back. I ask if I can just come down and talk to someone. She says well the person who will be helping me is somewhere else (like back East!) working remotely and the actual agent on my account is off on vacation until next week.

OK find we do this by phone as long as I have proof of insurance before Noon Thursday as thats when my appointment with DMV to get plates is.

This should be interesting. All I want is the absolute bare minimum required coverage to get plates as CHUG is still a Month + away from the road. Once its on the road I will upgrade the insurance.

I used to just wander into the place sit down at my agents desk until he got off the phone etc. We talked about his wife and kids (his wife was a teacher at high school as was he when I was there she was maybe 4 years older then I was as a Senior LOL) And we would hammer out my insurance needs. NOW I could be talking to someone 3500 miles away.
Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
Late 50's 134L 9.25"clutch T90A D18 (1.25") D44/30 flanged E-Locker D25 5.38 Since 1962
OnlyOneDR View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OnlyOneDR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec. 2020 at 7:04pm
Originally posted by Mark W. Mark W. wrote:

I used to just wander into the place sit down at my agents desk until he got off the phone etc. We talked about his wife and kids (his wife was a teacher at high school as was he when I was there she was maybe 4 years older then I was as a Senior LOL) And we would hammer out my insurance needs. NOW I could be talking to someone 3500 miles away. 

I used to do the same thing.  Then that guy retired.  Then I got bounced around by one of the big insurers.  Found out a good buddy of mine has a brother in insurance.  Called him; he lives 5 minutes away and I can stop by anytime.  Got us ridiculously good rates on everything, better coverage, and I finally have someone I can trust in a fairly untrustworthy business.
Searching for time to put it all together...
1950 CJ-3A #37751 In Pieces
1969 Chevy Blazer Resto-Mod Waiting for its day...
2001 Nissan Frontier Crawler Adventure Rig
Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec. 2020 at 10:50pm
Well it looks like we will be doing the liability in order to get my plates all via Email. And a Whopping $67 a year for the same Liability as the other cars. I am sure Collision and Comprehensive will be a BUNCH more LOL.

Now the big decision which of the 2 dozen different plates do I want. Pretty sure I'll splurge on the Pacific Wonderland plates they look the most period correct while being a general issue plate with no silly restrictions.

Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
Late 50's 134L 9.25"clutch T90A D18 (1.25") D44/30 flanged E-Locker D25 5.38 Since 1962
Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec. 2020 at 11:11pm
WELL HOT DAM just got emailed an insurance proof and I pulled the title out of the Freezer and I'm already for Thursday and my appointment at DMV. Luckily unless you coming in from out of state there is no Vin inspection (not that they would come out of the office now days anyway) Now to figure out how much CASH to take with me.

Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
berettajeep View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote berettajeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec. 2020 at 12:54am
I just got the basic plate for my 2A. I like the one you posted the best out of all the ones they had few years ago but didn't want to spend the $100 more for them.
drm101 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote drm101 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec. 2020 at 12:56am
We still are insured through Al Bourdeau insurance, and have been for 26 years. When we first went there, similar to your story, we would hang out and wait for Al to help us. Nice thing is Al retired, and we've been working with Janet for the last 15 years or so. At least they aren't a revolving door. You must be getting close now! I'm excited for you. 
Dean
'47 CJ2A "Mud Hen"
The less the Power the More the Force
Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec. 2020 at 1:33am
Yah Dennis I been going back and forth on the Pacific Wonderland Plate. If I wasn't as flush as I am right now it wouldn't even be a consideration.
Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
cpt logger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cpt logger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec. 2020 at 12:57pm
Mark, since we are spending YOUR money, I vote for the Pacific Wonderland plates.

They would be period correct & with all the work you did to make Chug pretty, It would be a shame to go with anything else.

Just be sure to weld the bolts that hold them on to Chug. Those plates seem to get stolen a lot these days. But boy are they pretty!

Hey! These are sold on line, e-pay etc. Original ones are fairly cheep & you & I can tell the difference. How much would it cost to license an original set?

Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec. 2020 at 6:32pm
As near as I can tell the State will not register original Pacific Wonderland plates unless they are the same year as the vehicle. In Oregon the original Pacific Wonderland plates ran from started in 1960 and ran until 1963 so not even close to CHUGS 1948 Title age. They also will not reregester the plates that were on CHUG when I drove it in high school. I have them they are actually in pretty good shape. But no go.

The New Pacific Wonderland plates showed up in 2009 and are supposed to be a limited run of 80,000 Which I am guessing they will either change if there is still demand or they will be ending soon I see ones with at least Y's in the number series which would be pretty close to the end of the series.
Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
AKoller View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AKoller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec. 2020 at 7:21pm
That's one of the things I like about Kansas. We can run an original plate from the correct year the vehicle was manufactured for our "antique" plate. I'm running a 1950 plate on Thumper.

1950 CJ3A "Thumper"
1966 M151 A1
1942 GPW #70221
Nothing Special View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nothing Special Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec. 2020 at 1:47pm
Originally posted by AKoller AKoller wrote:

That's one of the things I like about Kansas. We can run an original plate from the correct year the vehicle was manufactured for our "antique" plate. I'm running a 1950 plate on Thumper.

I think most states do that now.  But Mark said...

Now the big decision which of the 2 dozen different plates do I want. Pretty sure I'll splurge on the Pacific Wonderland plates they look the most period correct while being a general issue plate with no silly restrictions.

(emphasis mine)

so he doesn't want "antique" plates on Chug.  And I don't blame him.  Most states do have pretty severe restrictions on how a vehicle with "antique" plates may be used.  For instance Minnesota has "Collector plates for vehicles over 20 years old.  Even my daily driver pickup would qualify for that!  But they say:
Collector vehicles are to be operated only as a “Collector’s Item” and may not be used for general transportation. Generally driving to and from collector events (shows, parades) is acceptable.  Check with local Law Enforcement for more specific issues.

Those restrictions may or may not be enforced.  But most of us push those limits with our old vehicles.
Bob

Flatfender wannabe
'71 Ford Bronco
AKoller View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AKoller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec. 2020 at 2:20pm
Originally posted by Nothing Special Nothing Special wrote:

Originally posted by AKoller AKoller wrote:

I think most states do that now.  But Mark said...

(emphasis mine)

so he doesn't want "antique" plates on Chug.  And I don't blame him.  Most states do have pretty severe restrictions on how a vehicle with "antique" plates may be used.  For instance Minnesota has "Collector plates for vehicles over 20 years old.  Even my daily driver pickup would qualify for that!  But they say:
<blockquote style="margin: 0 0 0 40px; border: none; padding: 0px;">
<span style="color: rgb51, 51, 51; font-family: Arial, Helvetica, Verdana, sans-serif;">Collector vehicles are to be operated only as a “Collector’s Item” and may not be used for general transportation. Generally driving to and from collector events (shows, parades) is acceptable.  Check with local Law Enforcement for more specific issues.</span>

Those restrictions may or may not be enforced.  But most of us push those limits with our old vehicles.

Fortunately Kansas has little to no restrictions on vehicles tagged "antique". It is a 1 time $40 registration fee. You still have to pay annual personal property tax on it which ranges from $12-$20 a year.
1950 CJ3A "Thumper"
1966 M151 A1
1942 GPW #70221
SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec. 2020 at 3:09pm
In Kansas the restrictions on antique plates have been eased considerably over the years. In the past, you were limited to local use only or in parades if not local. Those restrictions are gone. I have always kept Ol' Red registered with a 12M truck tag since I bought her just out of habit. Fifty years ago the old rules applied and I didn't want anyone putting restrictions on the way I used her. Back in the day though enforcement was lax unless you were stopped for some other issue.
46 CJ-2A #64462 "Ol' Red" (bought April 1969)(second owner)(12 V, 11" brakes, M-38 frame, MD Juan tub)

U.S. Coast Guard Chief Petty Officer(ret.)
U.S. Army Vietnam veteran and damned proud of it.

Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec. 2020 at 4:57pm
OK Insurance card in Hand Title in my name (since 2002) in hand Money in the Debt account. All I have to do is show up at the appointment and I should have plates for CHUG by mid afternoon.

As to the Antique or Special Plates they both have restrictions on their use. As I want to be able to do anything from driving CHUG to work to Driving it across the Arctic Circle or visiting forum friends back East. I want no restrictions on either the plates or the Insurance. I know it will cost more but so what. I didn't spend 10 years of my life building this thing to keep it in the garage while I buff the paint off keeping it shinny.
Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
 Post Reply Post Reply