Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Fuel Pump

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wily-46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Fuel Pump
    Posted: 02 Dec. 2020 at 2:12am
So in the process of getting my ‘46 revived, I purchased an aftermarket fuel pump and installed it.  That was about a year ago, and now I found it necessary to remove it today to work on fuel lines.  In the process of taking it off, it busted. In two.  The lower housing and mounting plate is plastic!! Cheap p.o.s.  So...does any know where I can buy a metal one?  Or even N.O.S.?
General Eisenhower View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote General Eisenhower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec. 2020 at 2:13am
I mean the one I got on ebay is all metal, havent hooked it up but it seems sturdy
I Like Ike!
1948 CJ2a "Hefty Horse"
1994 Jeep Wrangler Sahara
2016 Jeep JKU 75th anniversary edition
General Eisenhower View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote General Eisenhower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec. 2020 at 2:15am
I'm just trying to figure out how to get it on and off with the fender on
I Like Ike!
1948 CJ2a "Hefty Horse"
1994 Jeep Wrangler Sahara
2016 Jeep JKU 75th anniversary edition
Wily-46 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wily-46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec. 2020 at 2:17am
Double check.  I thought mine was metal too. 
Wily-46 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wily-46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec. 2020 at 2:20am
Wobble socket, 1/2” deep well, and with the wind out of the East, moon at  waning phase, hold your mouth right, then  pray and cuss at the same time.  You might get that inner flange bolt started.
WeeWilly View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WeeWilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec. 2020 at 2:33am

Classic Military Vehicles sells a nice metal with glass bowl fuel pump and at a very competitive price.  I bought a couple from him a few years ago and the one I put on is still working great.  I did change out the the philip head screws to the older philister head for looks.

Jim
47 CJ2A (Ranch Hand) 48 CJ2A, 48 Willys truck, T3C 3782, M274 (Military Mule)
Wily-46 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wily-46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec. 2020 at 2:37am
I will check that out.  Thanks Jim.
Bruce W View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec. 2020 at 3:13am
  Don't tell me, let me guess - Omix-ADA?
It is NOT a Jeep Willys! It is a Willys jeep.

Happy Trails! Good-bye, Good Luck, and May the Good Lord Take a Likin' to You!

We Have Miles to Jeep, Before We Sleep.
cpt logger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cpt logger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec. 2020 at 6:56am
Do not forget that Scoutpilot on this site runs oldjeepcarbs.com .

He usually has a few rebuilt original fuel pumps and carburetors in stock. He often has fuel filters as well.

He does great work.

IHTH, Cpt Logger.
Wily-46 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wily-46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec. 2020 at 8:38am
Yes!  I didn’t realize that Scoutpilot handled pumps.  Yes he does good work, he rebuilt my WO a couple of years ago I’ll hit him up.  Thanks!
Wily-46 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wily-46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec. 2020 at 3:20pm
Scoutpilot is hooking me up with a good one.  
Wily-46 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wily-46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec. 2020 at 5:26pm
Yes, I am assuming Omix Ada.  I had kept a pretty close eye on the stores that carry the aftermarket parts just to price shop, so I'm not sure who I purchased from at the time, but it was one of the online stores that have a widely known name that carry a lot of the aftermarket older jeep products.  If I could nail it down where I purchased it I would mail it to them and request a refund....
Bruce W View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec. 2020 at 5:46pm
  Take a good look at the glass bowl - or take it off and look - does it have a divider in it, making it essentially two bowls in one? The originals have the bowl on the inlet side. The fuel flows thru the bowl and its screen to get into the pump chamber. Lots of the newer ones have a divided bowl, for some reason. It looks to me as if one side of the divider is on the inlet side and one on the outlet side. I don't under stand why, and in addition to the bowl gasket being a potential leak as it's always been, if the gasket leaks where the divider meets the body, the pump will not function. Also, the new ones don't have a screen.
  I don't own one of these "new" pumps, but I've seen a few in use, and I'd like to learn more about them. If they're junk, I think everyone should know, that's why I ask you this question here. It really doesn't matter to you, maybe, as Scoutpilot has you fixed up. You can bet your lunch that the pump you get from him will be a good one.
BW

jeeper50 View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeeper50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec. 2020 at 5:48pm
I bought a good pump from my local auto parts store just ordered one for a 64 cj5, came next day. If you want to keep the glass filter just swap the top parts out

Here ya go:  $49

quarter ton military has a quality one for $28. good outfit to buy from

https://quartertonparts.com/product/fuel-pump-single-action-glass-bowl-style-134l-134f-engines/

Belleview ol skool winch soon.
'48 CJ2A 283 V8 sm 420 granny low, tera low D18, overdrive,lockers

Texan at heart,Alabama by retirement

Bruce W View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec. 2020 at 6:13pm
 I don't know how you could put the glass bowl and screen on that flat-top pump. There's no recess in the top of the body to locate the gasket and the bowl, and no place to hook the bail that holds the bowl. Also, there's almost certainly no place in the body to put the screen. That is probably a good pump though, there are lots of them in use.
  The $28 pump looks to me to be the split-bowl pump. I think I can see the shadow of the divider, and there's no screen visible. He says, "very correct", it's not. And, I hate to say it, the price says to me, "cheap crap". I'm trying to keep an open mind, though.
BW

ndnchf View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ndnchf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec. 2020 at 6:56pm
I bought an original, rebuilt fuel pump from Scoutpilot - works great. It is the perfect solution.
1948 CJ2A - It goes nowhere fast, but anywhere slow.
jeeper50 View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeeper50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec. 2020 at 8:52pm

Bruce "don't shoot me I'm just the piano player" LOL  I would buy the auto parts pump, just because I could have it in my hand the next day!  Since Scoutpilot is already covering his loss he's good. 

The pumps both have the six bolt mounting flange, so it will work. Go try it on a couple of pumps. it worked on my dual action pump. I swapped the upper base out for the bowl part base, that make better sense to ya?

Belleview ol skool winch soon.
'48 CJ2A 283 V8 sm 420 granny low, tera low D18, overdrive,lockers

Texan at heart,Alabama by retirement

Oldpappy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oldpappy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec. 2020 at 8:55pm
I bought one of those pumps from QTM, and yes it does have the "divider" but from my observation of it the divider is a screen, so it has the in valve on one side, and the out valve on the other.

I installed it on my Jeep and it works fine, but I will probably rebuild one of the originals I have to put on later on. 

On most of the items QTM lists the description says "very high quality and very correct", while I agree this pump with the vertical screen is not exactly "very correct" it does appear to be good quality.

I have known Matt for years and I believe he does his best to avoid selling anything that is "cheap crap". I have bought many parts from him, and everything I have bought has been just fine. 
If you can't get there in a Jeep you don't need to be there!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>