Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Fuel Pump

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec. 2020 at 11:27pm
jeeper50,
  It didn't occur to me to replace the entire top of the pump, that's a good thing to know. Thanks

Oldpappy,
  Like I said, I don't have one of these new pumps, have never held one in my hand, and haven't had a chance to take a good look at one that wasn't installed. Again as I said, I'm trying to keep an open mind here, and I'd like a chance to give one of them a good looking-over, and convince myself how it works. I'm afraid I just might be a bit biased by the rash of cheap (and some not so cheap) crap parts that we've been deluged with. Maybe I'm hoping to be proven wrong. I know I've heard nothing but good things about QTM but I've not done any business with them. I once had a discussion with a well-known jeep parts supplier who I have done a lot of business with since. I told him, "You told me that this is the best (enter part name here) available, and it's a piece of crap". He said, "Yes, you're right, it is a piece of crap, but it's the best one available". That's what we have to deal with.

I just might have to buy one of these pumps, just to see how it works. Wink
BW
It is NOT a Jeep Willys! It is a Willys jeep.

Happy Trails! Good-bye, Good Luck, and May the Good Lord Take a Likin' to You!

We Have Miles to Jeep, Before We Sleep.
Lee MN View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lee MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec. 2020 at 11:29pm
Originally posted by Bruce W Bruce W wrote:

Take a good look at the glass bowl - or take it off and look - does it have a divider in it, making it essentially two bowls in one? The originals have the bowl on the inlet side. The fuel flows thru the bowl and its screen to get into the pump chamber. Lots of the newer ones have a divided bowl, for some reason. It looks to me as if one side of the divider is on the inlet side and one on the outlet side. I don't under stand why, and in addition to the bowl gasket being a potential leak as it's always been, if the gasket leaks where the divider meets the body, the pump will not function. Also, the new ones don't have a screen.
  I don't own one of these "new" pumps, but I've seen a few in use, and I'd like to learn more about them. If they're junk, I think everyone should know, that's why I ask you this question here. It really doesn't matter to you, maybe, as Scoutpilot has you fixed up. You can bet your lunch that the pump you get from him will be a good one.
BW

Bruce, I’ve ran one of those “Divided Glass Bowl pumps for several years on Dads jeep, in fact Paul “Hillbilly” Dunn sent it to me to try out and see if they were any good!, never given a lick of trouble in the mountains or on the flats

Lee
               LEE
44 GPW-The Perfected Willys
49 2A
“If you wait, you only get older”
67 M715
American Made Rolling History
Bruce W View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec. 2020 at 11:33pm
  Thanks, Lee!
BW
It is NOT a Jeep Willys! It is a Willys jeep.

Happy Trails! Good-bye, Good Luck, and May the Good Lord Take a Likin' to You!

We Have Miles to Jeep, Before We Sleep.
gmcjr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gmcjr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec. 2020 at 1:36am
Originally posted by Lee (MN) Lee (MN) wrote:

Originally posted by Bruce W Bruce W wrote:

Take a good look at the glass bowl - or take it off and look - does it have a divider in it, making it essentially two bowls in one? The originals have the bowl on the inlet side. The fuel flows thru the bowl and its screen to get into the pump chamber. Lots of the newer ones have a divided bowl, for some reason. It looks to me as if one side of the divider is on the inlet side and one on the outlet side. I don't under stand why, and in addition to the bowl gasket being a potential leak as it's always been, if the gasket leaks where the divider meets the body, the pump will not function. Also, the new ones don't have a screen.
  I don't own one of these "new" pumps, but I've seen a few in use, and I'd like to learn more about them. If they're junk, I think everyone should know, that's why I ask you this question here. It really doesn't matter to you, maybe, as Scoutpilot has you fixed up. You can bet your lunch that the pump you get from him will be a good one.
BW

Bruce, I’ve ran one of those “Divided Glass Bowl pumps for several years on Dads jeep, in fact Paul “Hillbilly” Dunn sent it to me to try out and see if they were any good!, never given a lick of trouble in the mountains or on the flats

Lee

Probably 2013 or 2014? I received also oneWink... Knock on wood, never had a issue. 
Gary

51 CJ-3A
General Eisenhower View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote General Eisenhower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec. 2020 at 2:09am
Originally posted by Wily-46 Wily-46 wrote:

Double check.  I thought mine was metal too. 

Yup mine is metal as far as I can check without breaking it in two. Sounds feels and acts like metal, and I cant scrape through it
I Like Ike!
1948 CJ2a "Hefty Horse"
1994 Jeep Wrangler Sahara
2016 Jeep JKU 75th anniversary edition
Oldpappy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oldpappy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec. 2020 at 1:02pm
I have not ran mine enough yet to know much about the durability of the pump, but so far it has worked great. 

I replaced the carburetor on the Jeep last Sunday and when I disconnected the line at the fuel filter (at the carb) there was pressure enough in the line to puke out some fuel, and the bowl of the filter was completely full.

The Jeep had not been started in several days, so to me the residual pressure seems to indicate the check valves are doing a good job. 

I am glad I didn't end up with one of those plastic pumps like the OP showed.

I have 3 other complete engines, one of which will be rebuilt for the Jeep I am starting on soon. I plan to rebuild the original style fuel pumps from these to use one on that Jeep, and have two spares. So, if this reproduction or copy pump ever gives me any trouble I will have one ready to go.

The problem with the carburetor I removed is the bore for the throttle shaft is worn out and it sucks enough air to make it run rough at higher RPM. I have seen reproduction throttle bodies for these carburetors on Ebay, but don't know whether they are any good, so am thinking I can fix the wear with a bushing.  
If you can't get there in a Jeep you don't need to be there!
Joe DeYoung View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joe DeYoung Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec. 2020 at 1:31pm
I've had the exact opposite experience with the new divided bowl fuel pumps. I've purchased and used the O'Reilly pump with dismal results. My experience was that I would get about a year out of them and then they stop working. I've had multiple of these just because of warrantee replacements. The final straw was when my jeep was idling in the parking lot at my shop and it just quit. Sounded like it ran out of fuel and but tank was full. Opened the hood and found that the casting completely broke off at the flange. I drive my jeep a lot... frequently 100 to 200 miles at a shot... and the thought of a catastrophic failure like that happening far from home is enough for me to never use one again. Now I only rebuild the original AC pumps. I have not had a fuel pump failure since. 
Joe DeYoung
to many jeeps, parts, and accessories to list here, but apparently enough to keep me in trouble with my wife.

Oldpappy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oldpappy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec. 2020 at 2:15pm
Thanks Joe,

Your experience is enough to convince me to replace the one I have with one of the original pumps I plan to refurbish. 

Where I intend to use this Jeep is a rather remote area, and cell phones won't work out there, so I wouldn't be able to call for help. It could be a very long time before anyone came along. I am just too damned old to want to risk having to hike out of the back country where I fish because of some questionable part breaking. I could certainly make it out on foot, but with my knees it would be a long painful hike. By next year I hope to have both my Jeeps operational, and then one of my fishing buddies can drive one so there would be two Jeeps out there in case one has a problem. That is what we used to do on hunting trips in the same area when I was a kid and we did have to tow one out once. 
rocnroll View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocnroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec. 2020 at 3:21pm
Joe, I remember marveling at all the neat doodads and 'why didn't I think of that' items on your table at Reunions.

Is there anywhere we can go to see a list of items and services you offer?

I think you're kind of selling yourself short if you don't mind me saying that.

'47 CJ2A PU
'48 CJ2A Lefty

"Common sense is not that common"
47 deuce alpha View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 47 deuce alpha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec. 2020 at 3:51pm
Originally posted by General Eisenhower General Eisenhower wrote:

I'm just trying to figure out how to get it on and off with the fender on

Something you might try to make fuel pump installation easier is extended bolts. Just measure the thread on the original bolt then run a nut on the extended bolt to be sure it bottoms out properly.   
1947 CJ2A 90419
1947 CJ2A 127735
1949 Ford 8N
1955 Kaiser Willys Pickup
Half the distance takes you twice as long.
Oldpappy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oldpappy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec. 2020 at 4:10pm
Now that is a good idea! Very inventive.
Stev View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec. 2020 at 4:34pm
This whole replacement divided bowl fuel pump thread is great information and a real bummer.   Divided bowl fuel pumps were just too good to be true.  A simple cheap solution for an going maintenance on vehicles we are pulling forward in time.   

I have two of these in my spares collection.  Looks like they should be discarded as trash.

Stev
1946 CJ2A Trail Jeep (The Saint), 1948 CJ2A Lefty Restored
Joe DeYoung View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joe DeYoung Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec. 2020 at 4:47pm
Originally posted by rocnroll rocnroll wrote:

Joe, I remember marveling at all the neat doodads and 'why didn't I think of that' items on your table at Reunions.

Is there anywhere we can go to see a list of items and services you offer?

I think you're kind of selling yourself short if you don't mind me saying that.

I do not have any online listing for the jeep tool, parts, and services that I offer, so you're probably right, I am selling myself short being a well kept secret. I have all kinds of parts, tools, and prototype ideas sitting in boxes collecting dust. Perhaps I'll look into making a web page... Mad City Willys

In the mean time, I do have a one page price list available of my doodads that I'll post in the member created parts section of the forum.

Thanks for the constructive suggestion
Joe DeYoung
to many jeeps, parts, and accessories to list here, but apparently enough to keep me in trouble with my wife.

rocnroll View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocnroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec. 2020 at 11:49pm
Originally posted by Joe DeYoung Joe DeYoung wrote:

Perhaps I'll look into making a web page... Mad City Willys

I think this would be great !!   Even if you did just a simple list of parts and services, not necessarily to get into online business ( although I think you might be surprised how your 'special tools' and parts sales would take off) but to just give a centralized list of what you offer along with some contact info.

Not trying to tell you how to run your business, and I for sure wouldn't want to rope you into keeping up a website, it's just that I've marveled at some of your work and I know that others would too if they only saw some of it.

Take care my friend.

'47 CJ2A PU
'48 CJ2A Lefty

"Common sense is not that common"
IRQVET View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IRQVET Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec. 2020 at 3:54pm
Anyone have any experience with the RFJP fuel pump with the hand prime lever? My rig is currently down as the after market fuel pump just bought the farm. My preference has always been to go with Ron as I've met him and he seemed like a nice guy. When I live in Oregon he gave me a shop tour, so I got to meet him them.

For $60 the one from RFJP seems like a good deal, I just don't have experience with them and he is currently sold out of them. 

A buddy of mine bought a fuel pump from Napa that was for a 1940's Ford tractor. I guess it sat on the shelf for so long that it pre-dated anyone who worked there, and they had only one. My buddy popped it on his 42 GPW and it worked great. (Lucky SOB)
Dean
Operation Iraqi Freedom Veteran
49' CJ2A w/ GPA Engine #8924
67 CJ5 (Sold)
Oldpappy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oldpappy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec. 2020 at 4:43pm
Interesting that a fuel pump for a Ford 8N/9N would fit. 

I went out and looked at my 1963 Ford 2000 tractor, which is basically the same as the 9N but with an overhead valve I4 instead of the flathead, and the fuel pump looks exactly the same as the original pumps from the four Jeep engines I have. It is AC branded.

I searched for "Fuel pump 1963 Ford 2000 tractor" on-line and found a number of tractor parts suppliers which carry a pump, which has a primer lever, and does not have the divided bowl fuel screen.

I am very temped to risk $50 and order one, if it works on the Willys engine we may find a better option than the current import crap, if it doesn't fit I will have a spare for my tractors. 

One of these suppliers also has an Ebay store, so here is a link to that pump for anyone interested.

TateC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TateC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec. 2020 at 4:59pm
Originally posted by IRQVET IRQVET wrote:

Anyone have any experience with the RFJP fuel pump with the hand prime lever? My rig is currently down as the after market fuel pump just bought the farm. My preference has always been to go with Ron as I've met him and he seemed like a nice guy. When I live in Oregon he gave me a shop tour, so I got to meet him them.

For $60 the one from RFJP seems like a good deal, I just don't have experience with them and he is currently sold out of them. 

A buddy of mine bought a fuel pump from Napa that was for a 1940's Ford tractor. I guess it sat on the shelf for so long that it pre-dated anyone who worked there, and they had only one. My buddy popped it on his 42 GPW and it worked great. (Lucky SOB)
I’ve had one for about 2 and a half years and have nothing but good things to say about it, so I’d say go for it 
Tate Christensen
1941 Ford GP #9687
1943 Willys MB #263100
1944 Ford GPW #234613
1945 Willys CJ2A #10226
47 deuce alpha View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 47 deuce alpha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec. 2020 at 5:28pm
I've had an RFJP primer assist fuel pump on my 2A for 3 years now with no problems. I still have 6 volt so the primer is great to assist starting if the jeep has set for a few days. I have a wire hooked to it, about 6-8 strokes and the jeep starts right up. There's a picture of it a few posts back.
That Ford tractor fuel pump may have been for a 40's model Ford truck. The forties models tractors don't have a fuel pump, the gas tank is mounted in the hood over the carb for gravity flow. They have a sediment bowl with a needle valve to meter the flow.
1947 CJ2A 90419
1947 CJ2A 127735
1949 Ford 8N
1955 Kaiser Willys Pickup
Half the distance takes you twice as long.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>