Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Jeep Photos and Stories
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Valve Seats

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Valve Seats
    Posted: 18 Dec. 2020 at 7:37am
  I've had this engine apart for a while, it came home from the machine shop, oh, probably close to a year ago. I've been walking around it, putting off starting assembly because I was a bit afraid - afraid of what, you say? Well, here's the story.
  When I first started as an apprentice line mechanic at the local Chevrolet garage in 1969, there were quite a few "old-time" tools and pieces of equipment from the old days that were not being used anymore, but were still around. In the mid-'90s, when the dealership moved to a new building, a lot of that stuff was discarded. I didn't get as much of it as I would liked to have had, but part of what I did get was a heavy box that said K.O.Lee on it. I didn't know what it was for a long time, but I found out that it is a kit for cutting and installing valve seats. I managed to get an instruction manual for it, and decided to try it out. When this block went to the machine shop, I told the machinist what I had in mind, but I was a little nervous about tackling something that could leave the block unusable if I screwed it up. I showed him a picture of the tool, and he said, "Cool. I'd like to see that at work! You can do that, don't be shy." So, like I said, I've been putting it off out of fear that I might wreck the block. I decided today that I might as well do it.
  Here's a look at the block as it was. It's a 4T block, I don't know what year it is, but it had no seat inserts installed previously.

This picture shows the tool mounted on the block, ready to start:

Starting the cut. You can see the tail-end of the cutter, No.103. I should have turned it so you could see the cutter. As you turn the cutter, you momentarily hold the knurled nut to advance the cutter.

Making chips. There is an adjustable stop that you actually use the seat to adjust, so it stops cutting at the proper depth. This one is just about done:

Here's the new seat with the installer, ready to install it. The installer is made up of four parts: a pilot that goes into the valve guide, an adapter that is sized for the particular seat, the installer body, and a BFH. It's not visible here because it wasn't there yet, but I put some red Loctite Stud & Bearing Mount on the seat.
  The finished seat. It came out pretty good, even if I say so myself, and I didn't screw it up! A little touch-up with the old Kwick-Way seat grinder and it'll be good as new - better, actually.

A new valve on a new seat. It sure looks better, sitting on the seat instead of down in it.

I was so happy with the way it came out, I had to share it with someone. I cut and installed one more, and set the cutter up for the third one, then had to give up for the evening. The second one went a lot faster than the first. This block will also get intake valve seats. As the YouTube guys say, "Thanks for watching!"
BW
It is NOT a Jeep Willys! It is a Willys jeep.

Happy Trails! Good-bye, Good Luck, and May the Good Lord Take a Likin' to You!

We Have Miles to Jeep, Before We Sleep.
Lee MN View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lee MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Dec. 2020 at 11:51am
Very cool Bruce!, well done! ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿฝ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿฝ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿฝ

Lee
               LEE
44 GPW-The Perfected Willys
49 2A
โ€œIf you wait, you only get olderโ€
67 M715
American Made Rolling History
mbullism View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbullism Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Dec. 2020 at 12:21pm
Ya, my pucker factor would have been elevated LOL

Nice! Thumbs Up
Those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it... Welcome to 1930's Germany
Oldpappy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oldpappy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Dec. 2020 at 1:24pm
My uncle Roy was a mechanic who collected Packard cars, in fact he was the president of a Packard club for years. 

When Packard went out of business he bought out the stock from a couple of dealerships, including parts and tools.

I remember him using a very similar tool set, and he had many other specialty tools. 

I like the old hand tools for stuff like this, mistakes are made slower and usually can be noticed in time to correct. 

One of my cousins inherited all of his tools when he died, and many of the cars and parts were sold to a collector in Texas.

Except the cars from the 30s, which another cousin got because he too collected Packards.

There were about 40 cars on his place, and parts, new and old were stacked everywhere, even inside the house which was like wandering through a maze with pathways through stacks of parts. 

If you can't get there in a Jeep you don't need to be there!
m38mike View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m38mike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Dec. 2020 at 12:15pm
Good job BW!!  You made that look so clean and neat!  Please give us a shot of the block when you get them all installed.  How long does it take to set up and finish installing each seat?  
M38Mike
46 CJ2A SAMCJ2A
4?-5? CJ2A/3A/M38 Jigsaw
51 M38 Green Jeanne
52 M38 Blue Mule, 51 M100 Blue Mule Tale
52 XM38EV1 Electro-Willys, 52 M100 Juice Box
Bruce W View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Dec. 2020 at 4:36am

I don't know how long it takes to do each one, I wasn't watching the clock. I'd guess that it takes between 5 and 10 minutes. The very first one took quite a long time because I was reading the instructions and figuring out what each part of the tool was and how it worked. Once it's set up for one, it doesn't take long to transfer from one seat to the next. I'd bet that the last one took closer to 5 than 10. I thought about counting the turns of the handle on the last one so I would know how many turns it took to cut .215" deep, but decided I probably didn't really want to know. It would depend, anyway, on how aggressive one was with the advancement of the cutter. The bolt that holds the whole thing down on the block was so long that I had to turn the handle a half-turn at a time and ratchet it back for the next stroke. After the first one I made a shorter bolt so I could make complete revolutions with the handle. That made it quite a bit quicker and easier.
  The instructions I got for it shows a slightly different holding set-up and all of the pictures show it being used on an OHV cylinder head. I don't think this one could be used on a head, unless the valve stems were perpendicular to the deck surface, like the F-head.
  This was kind of fun, and I'm actually looking forward to the next block. If any of you want me to do this for you, I'll bet that we can work something out.
BW

Joe DeYoung View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joe DeYoung Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Dec. 2020 at 12:52pm
Looks great Bruce. Well done!! Thumbs Up
Joe DeYoung
to many jeeps, parts, and accessories to list here, but apparently enough to keep me in trouble with my wife.

SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Dec. 2020 at 1:50pm
Good looking job, Bruce...proud of you! Thanks for sharing...
46 CJ-2A #64462 "Ol' Red" (bought April 1969)(second owner)(12 V, 11" brakes, M-38 frame, MD Juan tub)

U.S. Coast Guard Chief Petty Officer(ret.)
U.S. Army Vietnam veteran and damned proud of it.

tamnalan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tamnalan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Dec. 2020 at 4:45pm
Cool!  Thanks Bruce!  I learn great stuff every day!!

Now if I can only remember some of it.
Alan Johnson
1942 MB - "TBD"
1943 MB - "Lt Bob"
1950 cj3a
M-100 x2
teardrop camper: https://forums.g503.com/viewtopic.php?f=141&t=201740
drm101 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote drm101 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Dec. 2020 at 7:05pm
That is neat!! 
Dean
'47 CJ2A "Mud Hen"
The less the Power the More the Force
ggordon49 View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ggordon49 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Dec. 2020 at 9:31pm
I wish we lived closer and I would absolutely take you up on your offer! That was good thinking when you decided to grab that tool!
- Don't Let The Fatherless Ones Grind You Down -
- I like them stock, survivor's with original paint are my favorites -
Greaser007 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greaser007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan. 2021 at 1:59am
BW,

Very Cool to be able to machine for, and insert your own seats.

I grew up in an engine machine shop as a kid, and my dad sold out and went to work in a chevy dealer around '69 when i graduated high school, and i had free use of their valve grinding equipment for 20-years.   I never did get to cut for valve seats and install.   I can see you picking up another block.    hahahaha

Len
48walker View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 48walker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan. 2021 at 10:50pm
That looks great. And brave.
oldscot3 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldscot3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb. 2021 at 12:54am
Good job. How hard was it to knock the seats in? 

Back in the day I worked in a machine shop for awhile. We would put aluminum heads in the shower with hot water running on them. The seats were in the freezer and with a little red loctite, popped right in. I never knew of a comeback due to seat coming loose.

edit; BTW I've been looking to find a valve spring compressor for flatheads; anybody know if the Briggs&Stratton compressors will work on a Jeep L head?

Edited by oldscot3 - 10 Feb. 2021 at 1:02am
James 4:6 God resists the proud, but gives grace to the humble.
Bruce W View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Bruce W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb. 2021 at 1:15am
Originally posted by oldscot3 oldscot3 wrote:

How hard was it to knock the seats in? 

The first strike is the most important one. Of course you must start the seat perfectly straight. You can tell by the sound and the feel of the Installer when it hits bottom. I did have one that started crooked and was a son-of-a-gun to straighten. It ground fine though, so I donโ€™t think I hurt it. I did put the seats in the freezer but I donโ€™t think it really made any difference. 
BW 

TERRY View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TERRY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb. 2021 at 3:33pm
Look like photos from my 1950 Motors Manual, great job!
BOULDER 48 2A
muley View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote muley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb. 2021 at 4:56pm
Nice job BW..Thumbs Up
Joined Jan-8 2015
I never met a mule I didn't like!
OD Mule 01-52 M38
Big Red 19fiddy CJ3A salad
jhg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jhg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb. 2022 at 11:15pm
Well worth a bump.
1948 cj2a. Rebuilt L-head, steering, T90, WO 636, steering, brake lines. So far.
 Post Reply Post Reply