Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Tech Questions and Answers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Question about studs...not you!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Buckeye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Question about studs...not you!
    Posted: 18 Dec. 2020 at 7:21pm
I am at the point of pulling my engine apart to send to the machine shop.  Question for the group: Do you save and reuse your manifold and head studs?  Or do you recommend to go with all new?
1946 CJ2A #21766
1946 CJ2A #31484

Retired US Army Chief Warrant Officer
Oldpappy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oldpappy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Dec. 2020 at 7:30pm
On a rebuild I always replace studs I pull out with new studs, and nuts, and chase the threads after the block comes back from the machine shop.

These things get stretched, particularly the head studs, and the threads in the block are often full of gunk. I want good strong studs and clean threads so I know my torque settings will be more accurate and there is less chance of breaking one off. Cheap insurance..  
If you can't get there in a Jeep you don't need to be there!
SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Dec. 2020 at 8:39pm
Originally posted by Oldpappy Oldpappy wrote:

On a rebuild I always replace studs I pull out with new studs, and nuts, and chase the threads after the block comes back from the machine shop.

These things get stretched, particularly the head studs, and the threads in the block are often full of gunk. I want good strong studs and clean threads so I know my torque settings will be more accurate and there is less chance of breaking one off. Cheap insurance..  

X2 !!!
46 CJ-2A #64462 "Ol' Red" (bought April 1969)(second owner)(12 V, 11" brakes, M-38 frame, MD Juan tub)

U.S. Coast Guard Chief Petty Officer(ret.)
U.S. Army Vietnam veteran and damned proud of it.

Jeff_Davis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeff_Davis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Dec. 2020 at 5:08pm
X3

When you are removing the manifold studs for replacement, be sure to soak them in penetrant for days ahead of when you remove them.   They get baked over and over again during the many cycles an engine goes through in its Jeep Life.  They get brittle and heat tempered and have about a 50/50 chance of coming out without breaking, in my experience.  They like to break off flush with the block which makes them a big job to remove...    If they break off with a stub piece that is too short for a stud remover tool, welding a nut on them has some degree success.

Fingers crossed.
Jeff
Jeff
1947 Willys CJ2A Las Flores, Provinca de Buenos Aires, Argentina
1951 Willys M38 Flightline jeep (Southeast Florida)
1954 M-100 USMC Trailer
1954 FORD F-100 parts chaser, 292 V8 Y-Block
WeeWilly View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WeeWilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Dec. 2020 at 2:15am

I use anti seize on the replacement studs and all exhaust bolts as well as other fasteners on the jeep.

Jim
47 CJ2A (Ranch Hand) 48 CJ2A, 48 Willys truck, T3C 3782, M274 (Military Mule)
Sugarloaf View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarloaf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan. 2021 at 12:31am
I thought the exhaust studs needed sealant on them due to being open to the water jacket. I’m getting ready to replace a cracked exhaust manifold and am a big fan on anti seize. But not if they need to be sealed from water. 
Can anybody verify the need for sealant on exhaust manifold studs?
Easy Does It.
otto View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote otto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan. 2021 at 3:00am
Yes, on my jeep's engine some of the manifold studs did reach the water jacket.
47 CJ2A w/fuel injected boat engine
48 CJ2A
64 Ford Econoline Travelwagon
If you can't get there in a Jeep, get a motorcycle!
Jeff_Davis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeff_Davis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan. 2021 at 4:18am
 Permatex #2 is good for studs extending into the water jacket.
Jeff
1947 Willys CJ2A Las Flores, Provinca de Buenos Aires, Argentina
1951 Willys M38 Flightline jeep (Southeast Florida)
1954 M-100 USMC Trailer
1954 FORD F-100 parts chaser, 292 V8 Y-Block
 Post Reply Post Reply