Forum Home Forum Home > Clubs, Shows and Get together listings. > Shows and get togethers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

CFFC Fall Color Tours 2021! - Event Date: 19 Sep. 2021 - 24 Sep. 2021

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 89101112 29>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mriceflinter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2021 at 12:38am
Walter, I forgot to mention, av gas is not necessary . Just have your fuel tank about empty when you get to TDR. There is a place near by TDR where we fill up through the week that has non alcohol gas and that is a lot cheaper than av gas. I actually have a place a little ways from my house here in Montrose that has 87 octane  non alcohol which is plenty for these old engines.  Mike
m38mike View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m38mike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2021 at 3:01am
Those are great questions and comments guys.  Thank you for sharing them with everyone.  Walter, I recommend that you should tune your Jeep to run it's best at what ever elevation zone the Jeep is in.  Like Mike said, if you try tuning for 8,000 feet while you're at 800 feet, you're going to create problems like pre-ignition ping.  Your best plan is to allow time to make the tuning adjustment once you arrive at Thirsty Dirt Ranch.  

And fuel is a big issue at this elevation.  With fuel injected engines there isn't much problem burning ethanol laced gas at this elevation.  But with our old carburated engines and the low (2-4 psi) gas pressure, having ethanol in your gas can lead to vapor lock pretty easily up here.  And that can lead to problems on the trail like poor running, failure to start, and rough idling.  Two solutions that can help eliminate vapor lock are first, only run non-ethanol gas at high elevations.  It will not vaporize as easily and that helps to eliminate vapor lock.  The other trick that many have learned is to put an electric fuel pump on your fuel line with an on/off switch.  Whether you put the fuel pump in the line in front of your mechanical pump, or parallel to your mechanical pump bypassing it, depends on whether the electric pump will pass fuel without being turned on.  The electric fuel pumps are located away from the engine or exhaust pipe so they don't heat up and vapor lock like the mechanical pump can.  And by having it controlled by an on/off switch you only use it when vapor lock becomes a problem.  

Our local gas station sells non-ethanol premium gas.  Folks like Walter can attest to the difference that will make in how well your engine will run.  And that goes for other engines like generators too.  So if you're camping and run a generator to recharge batteries or just to provide electricity, get the "real gas" to run it with.  
M38Mike
46 CJ2A SAMCJ2A
4?-5? CJ2A/3A/M38 Jigsaw
51 M38 Green Jeanne
52 M38 Blue Mule, 51 M100 Blue Mule Tale
52 XM38EV1 Electro-Willys, 52 M100 Juice Box
m38mike View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m38mike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2021 at 8:27am
After a few days and many comments, both here and in emails, I've been convinced to keep the lottery just the way it is.  One Jeep, one chance.  No bias.  4 months to register, 4 months to prepare.  Simple, and a lot easier to administer than the other ideas I had.  Thanks to all of you who spoke up. 
M38Mike
46 CJ2A SAMCJ2A
4?-5? CJ2A/3A/M38 Jigsaw
51 M38 Green Jeanne
WillysWally View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WillysWally Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2021 at 7:40pm
Good Afternoon Mike (Mriceflinter)

I agree that the AVGAS is not necessary -- Usually!  I know the place well that sells the alcohol free gas.  We bought gas there during last years event -- when it was available.  There was one day in which they were out for 24 maybe 36 hours, perhaps a bit more.  The AVGAS was the only practical option at that point, as there did not appear to be any other stations in the valley that stocked the alcohol free MOGAS.  Yes, it was more expensive, but we gladly paid the price to avoid any issues out on the trail -- both for us as well as our fellow trail riders.  A few bucks more to keep my bells was worth it!

In the late fall, just before the Veterans Day Parade, which is usually our last event, I dump 5-6 gallons of AVGAS in each of the MV's.  That way it will work its way through the entire carb during the parade.  It is extremely stable, and in the spring -- as long as the battery hasn't died -- they will start on the first flop of the starter.

Many thanks for the explanation on the timing.

Regards,

Walter
WillysWally View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WillysWally Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2021 at 8:04pm
Good Afternoon Mike (M-38)

Agreed on attesting to the impact and effects of ethanol gas.  When we went out on Sunday afternoons short test run from the TDR, about half way up the hill on the dirt road, D-Day died!  Yes we had a full tank of flat lander ethanol mixed gas.  When she died I was suspicious of a vapor lock.

On the MVPA cross Country Convoys we usually take one of the 3/4 ton WC Dodges, being a bit more roomier than the jeeps.  As you said, an electric fuel pump back near the tank, away from the manifolds and exhaust takes care of the vapor lock in short order.  Unfortunately I did not listen to my own advice!

D-Day has both a glass bowl on the fuel pump as well as a clear in line fuel filter.  When I opened the hood, the fuel bowl was completely empty and the fuel in the filter was literately boiling away as I watched the bubbles expanding and the liquid slowly disappearing!  I like to stay hydrated with lots of cold ice tea and almost always have a well insulated cup full of lots of ice and some tea.  I took some of the ice out of my cup and began rubbing the fuel lines, pump and filter with the ice in an attempt to cool them down.  After a couple of minutes of icing them down, I literally watched the fuel bowl fill up on its own with liquid.  Obviously, she started up after that.

Just some ideas on how get them back going again.

Many thanks Mike for all of your efforts.  Without we wouldnt even be having these conversations.  The Bensinger's and the Schroth's have made their housing reservations and will be there in September --  hopefully with all of our bells on! 

See you then.

Regards,

Walter

m38mike View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m38mike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2021 at 7:28am
With the help from the good folks at Gone-Gpn, we just recorded a video that covers a whole lot of details that folks should know before coming to FCT.  We talked about lodging, TDR facilities, shop services, weather, altitude, vehicle preparations, daily routine, pets, meals, training, parts and supplies, dust, check-in, and trail difficulty.  The Gone-Gpn crew will edit the video and should have it out for people to view within the next couple of weeks.  We will post a link to it here. 

After viewing the video, if you still have questions, please let me know and I'll answer them.  If you have questions that are not covered by one of the subjects listed above, go ahead and ask them anyway. 

The listing of scheduled tours will happen near the end of June.  Ron, Bruce and myself will be together in mid-June, and we'll set the schedule then.  
M38Mike
46 CJ2A SAMCJ2A
4?-5? CJ2A/3A/M38 Jigsaw
51 M38 Green Jeanne
OffroadDave View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OffroadDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2021 at 8:44am
Thank you, Mike and the Gone-Gpn crew. Having all of the information in one video should be very helpful. Especially for the new folks.
1959 Willys CJ-3B
1995 Jeep Wrangler
SlickWilly View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SlickWilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2021 at 1:31pm
Mike Picard and Rick Péwé discuss 2021 Colorado Fall Color Tour  -  You made the Lucky 50 invite list - now what do I do?

This video should answer most of the questions you have about preparing for and attending the 15th Annual Colorado Flat Fender Fall Color Tour event. We cover event details like lodging/camping, ranch rules, packing list, and trails and MOST IMPORTANTLY what you need to do to prep your Willys for high altitude adventure. 
Please watch the entire video for valuable information.

Edited by russnj - 29 May 2021 at 3:52pm
Traci and TaterJeep
Owner of Gone-Gpn Media
Freelance
Writer/Photographer
64CJ5 View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 64CJ5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2021 at 3:26pm
Thanks Mike for the information video.  Looking forward to fall.      
Take care we hope to see you and Nancy soon.  

Tom 
64CJ5 "Eeyore"
01TJ "Tigger"
52 M38 Severely demilitarized, "Popeye" The Coast Guard Jeep.
14 JK "Jake"
To Trust Government Defys Both History and Reason.

PUBLIC LAND Owner/User
Kevin Boog View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kevin Boog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2021 at 11:32pm
Great video and explanation of the event. I feel honored to have had my name picked in the lottery. I look forward to meeting everyone and seeing some great high country views.  Just  one question that wasn't answered, Mike can you please pm or email  directions to the ranch or is this something you do in the next month or so before the event? 
m38mike View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote m38mike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2021 at 8:19am
Great question Kevin.  I'll start by giving you and everyone my address.  20123 Hideout Lane, Nathrop, CO 81236.  Now if you plug that into most map software, like Bing Maps, or Mapquest, it will show you exactly where Thirsty Dirt Ranch is.  Then if you switch to satellite view, you can see what the place looks like.  They update the satellite photos once in a while, and one year they caught us during FCT so you could see all the campsites and Jeeps around the place.  Don't use Google Maps.  They don't even recognize my address as a legitimate address.  Every GPS unit I've worked with over the years has been able to correctly lead folks to the ranch with that address.  As we draw closer to the event, if there is interest, I will provide turn by turn directions with distances from both the stoplight on Highway 24 in the center of Buena Vista, and the stoplight at Ace Hardware on Highway 50 in Salida. 

Just a reminder that if you want to stay in a hotel/motel/B&B, I recommend getting your reservation in very soon for your rooms.  Especially if you want to stay in Buena Vista.  BV hosts an ATV Fall Color Tour as a community, jointly with several businesses.  They attract folks from around the world.  As a result, hotel rooms fill up and that week there will be no vacancies at most hotels.  Check with the Chamber of Commerce for either BV or Salida for a listing of Hotels, Motels, or B&B's.  Salida has many many more hotel rooms available, and usually at a better rate than BV during that week.  Salida would be where to go for last minute reservations.  It's just 10 miles farther away from the ranch. 
M38Mike
46 CJ2A SAMCJ2A
4?-5? CJ2A/3A/M38 Jigsaw
51 M38 Green Jeanne
Kevin Boog View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kevin Boog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2021 at 9:48am
Thank you Mike that helps having the address for your ranch. I see the problem you have with Google maps not recognizing you. I did find it on mapquest and did find a possible solution for you. I am fairly confident that your GPS address is 38.7060800, -106.1129650 by using this in your Google search it should bring people right to you. I saved this in my personal maps and also saved it off line as a suggestion for others that use Google and need to find it when your cell service drops off.

Looking forward too September and a great birthday month treat to myself and meeting some new old friends with the flat fender obsession.  
aboyandhisdog View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aboyandhisdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 June 2021 at 1:19pm
Very nice video, Mike and Rick!  I might add a couple of points...the sun at altitude can be very INTENSE!  Some folks might wish they had brought long sleeves, a boonie hat, a top for their jeep, and sunscreen. 

Also, Mike mentioned several times that everybody's enjoyment is the goal.  Following an excessively smokey jeep can really diminish that enjoyment.  Most folks like the fresh, clear air in the mountains.  If you have no choice but to bring a smokey jeep, you might consider driving at the end of the pack out of consideration for the other jeepers.  That's just my 2 cents having followed many of these jeeps in the past - not an official rule though as far as I know.

I hope you all have a great trip this year!  When I started coming to the FCT, I had a young dog who loved jeeping.  Now Annie is an old dog and these trails are just too hard on her so we will be sitting this year out.  My best to all!!!
Tom
1949 CJ3A

Boomer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boomer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 June 2021 at 4:28pm
 Following an excessively smokey jeep can really diminish that enjoyment.   
In my group we would have two in the lead and about 20 spread out over 3miles taking up the rear lol
m38mike View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m38mike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 June 2021 at 6:50am
Tom, you make a good point about smoky Jeeps.  Thanks for bringing it up.  Jeeps being the machines that they are, and all of them are old now, there's bound to be some that smoke.  If you are on the list to come, and you know that your Jeep smokes, please consider getting some work done on your engine to fix the problem this summer.  You'll be happier in the long run, and other folks will be happier too, especially if they are following you through the mountains.  Most smoke can be traced to either rings or valves not being right.  And if they aren't right, you are not going to get the power or performance out of your engine that you will want to have here in the mountains.  So getting your engine fixed will give you the extra boost that you may want at high elevations.  

But if you decide to come with the smoky engine, then plan on being at the back end of the line.  The upside of that is you will get some good photo ops to take pics of a whole line of Jeeps out in front of you.  The bad part is you will always be in the dust at the back of the line.  The only guy behind you will be the tailgunner.  He's the guy who's good on a radio, and who lets me know if there is a problem toward the back of the line.  And who knows, but if you're good on a radio, maybe you could be the tailgunner on every tour that you take.  

So please give some thought to fixing your engine if it smokes.  Thanks. 
M38Mike
46 CJ2A SAMCJ2A
4?-5? CJ2A/3A/M38 Jigsaw
51 M38 Green Jeanne
m38mike View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m38mike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 June 2021 at 7:24am
Tom, your other point is a good one to talk about too.  High intensity sunlight.  When you get up to 10,000 feet elevation, there is less than half the density of atmosphere protecting you from the sun's UV rays that you have at sea level.  That means that the sky will be a deeper blue than you will ever see at home.  It also means it takes less time to get sunburned than it does back home.  So Tom's recommendations for using long sleeves, or sunscreen, are good ones to plan for.  Fortunately, since it's cooler in mid-September, long sleeves are a good option.  Plus they help to keep the trail dust off your arms.  Boonie hats are also a good choice to help keep the sun off your neck and ears.  Nancy and I wear boonie hats almost every time we go Jeeping for that very reason.  We have some here that have the FCT logo embroidered on the top if you'd like a good, useful souvenir.  

Pay absolutely no attention to the fear on my face as Nancy takes us down the mountain!  But do notice that we're wearing our boonie hats to protect us from the sun.  We've modified our boonie hats by adding a wire in the brim to keep them out flat instead of flopping in our faces.  And Jackets because it's chilly in the mountains, even when it's warm down in the valley.  

And protect your eyes as well with a good pair of sunglasses.  I bought myself a pair of sunglass goggles that are very comfortable to wear.  And they do a great job of keeping dust and bugs and intense sun away from my eyes while we're travelling in a group of Jeeps, especially with the windshield down.  
M38Mike
46 CJ2A SAMCJ2A
4?-5? CJ2A/3A/M38 Jigsaw
51 M38 Green Jeanne
64CJ5 View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 64CJ5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 June 2021 at 9:04am
On the history side, the roads we enjoy in the mountains were created for the most part by hand, pick & shovel.  Most likely just a foot trail to a promising mine site.  Much later improved with heavy equipment.  So much to be thankful for in this wonderful country. 

64CJ5 "Eeyore"
01TJ "Tigger"
52 M38 Severely demilitarized, "Popeye" The Coast Guard Jeep.
14 JK "Jake"
To Trust Government Defys Both History and Reason.

PUBLIC LAND Owner/User
Bruce W View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 June 2021 at 10:03am
  Akin to the smoke problem is tailpipe dust. I once followed a jeep that had its tailpipe pointed downwards and close to the ground. Every jeep makes dust bu this one was almost unbearable to follow. Your tailpipe should exit close to the body, and should be pointed more out or back, than down. 
BW 
It is NOT a Jeep Willys! It is a Willys jeep.

Happy Trails! Good-bye, Good Luck, and May the Good Lord Take a Likin' to You!

We Have Miles to Jeep, Before We Sleep.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 89101112 29>