Forum Home Forum Home > Clubs, Shows and Get together listings. > Shows and get togethers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

CFFC Fall Color Tours 2021! - Event Date: 19 Sep. 2021 - 24 Sep. 2021

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1718192021 29>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lee MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep. 2021 at 7:39am
Enjoy your day friends!โ€ฆ Thanks for the photoโ€™s Jeff ๐Ÿ˜‰๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿฝ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿฝ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿฝ

Lee
               LEE
44 GPW-The Perfected Willys
49 2A
โ€œIf you wait, you only get olderโ€
67 M715
American Made Rolling History
Rick Cline View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick Cline Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep. 2021 at 11:55am
Jpet reporting for the CJ2A Page!! 
Thanks
"If everyone is thinking alike, someone isn't thinking."

- General George Patton Jr
Oilleaker1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oilleaker1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep. 2021 at 3:40pm
I too am enjoying the pictures. Mike's FCT is sort of our birth place of many friends. Many familiar faces. Good job on the tours guys. BW as Sherriff-----------oh oh. I'm a outlaw now. Shocked Have fun and make good memories! Oilly
Green Disease, Jeeps, Old Iron!
binthere View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote binthere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep. 2021 at 6:05pm
OK. LOCK THE DOOR!!! Somebody stole all the three B's! I couldn't find one in any of the pictures. It looks like all are having fun, keep up the great jeepin!!Thumbs Up
chuck
1953 CJ3B "a fistfull of dollars"
1949 willys jeepster "a few dollars more"
and a few other retirement toys

muley View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote muley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep. 2021 at 8:52pm
I'll chime in here with some of your other friends living vicariously thru fotos. My earliest FCTs were the springboard for many lifelong friendships that flourish today. Please keep the fotos and stories coming!
Joined Jan-8 2015
I never met a mule I didn't like!
OD Mule 01-52 M38
Big Red 19fiddy CJ3A salad
Oilleaker1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oilleaker1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep. 2021 at 6:00am
Originally posted by binthere binthere wrote:

OK. LOCK THE DOOR!!! Somebody stole all the three B's! I couldn't find one in any of the pictures. It looks like all are having fun, keep up the great jeepin!!Thumbs Up

Chuckie, Bruce's 3B is in one of the pictures. Right behind uncle Linden. 
Green Disease, Jeeps, Old Iron!
m38mike View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote m38mike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep. 2021 at 6:54am
It was another beautiful day at Thirsty Dirt Ranch and the mountains that surround it.  We had 3 fun runs yesterday.  Yes 3.  I know the schedule only said two.  But Bruce decided he'd like to take another run so we did a secret squirrel tour to an undisclosed location not too far from home base.  And despite the late time of the announcement he had a half dozen Jeeps go with him.  They had a great time and a fun run with no breakdowns.  Sorry we can't say where they went.  It was a secret squirrel event.  

Ron took off with his group at 8:00 and had 15 Jeeps on his 3 pass ride.  It was a very loooooong day for them since they did not return until 10:00 pm last night.  They finished their tour in the dark, long after sunset.  They had only one significant problem and that was a Jeep with a carb that didn't do well at high elevations.  Ron had a spare carb with him and they swapped it out with the problem carb and got that Jeep moving again.  Despite being on the trail for 14 hours, they all came back with smiles on their faces.  I'm hoping they'll post some photos.  

I took my group of 21 Jeeps high into the mountains to a pair of lakes and a very old mine.  But first we had to overcome a couple of problems.  We had one Jeep that kept overheating.  They swapped out the coolant in it but that didn't help much.  We ended up leaving that Jeep along the trail to be recovered on our way back out.  A second Jeep was running fine until one of our stops to help the overheating Jeep.  Then it would not run well at all.  No power, sputtering, and spraying starter fluid in the carb made no difference at all.  That told us it was an electrical problem.  We decided to swap out the condenser in the distributor.  After some time messing with that tiny screw that holds it in place we got it mounted and tested it.  It fired right up and ran well the rest of the day.  Spare parts from a friend saved that Jeeper's day.  0ur lunch stop was at North Fork Reservoir.  I got a good shot of father Bill and son Aiden overlooking the reservoir.  

From here we drove up to Billings Lake and the Pride of the west Mine.  The mine has been abandoned for many decades but the archway around the entrance is still there thanks to the excellent construction of the Italian stone masons that made it.  

When I walked out on the tailings pile in front of the mine I was greeted with an amazing panorama.  So I took a panoramic photo that I hope will present well on this page.  Billings Lake is in the center and if you look closely you will see several small Jeeps near the lake.  

What a grand view we had from the mine!  And at 12,200 feet elevation it can really take your breath away.  Driving back down the mountain was pretty uneventful.  We picked up the overheating Jeep and it did fine until it climbed one of the hills on the highway near the Thirsty Dirt Ranch.  But everyone made it back to the ranch and took off for dinner after a fun 9 hours of Jeeping.  

Today we've got two tours for the group.  Bruce will take one group over to Aspen Ridge through the ghost town of Turret and up a small trail into the heart of the Brown's Canyon National Monument.  I will take another group  up towards the Pomeroy Lakes to work on a trail project to help maintain some good will with the US Forest Service.  More to come on both of these tours. 

M38Mike
46 CJ2A SAMCJ2A
4?-5? CJ2A/3A/M38 Jigsaw
51 M38 Green Jeanne
52 M38 Blue Mule, 51 M100 Blue Mule Tale
52 XM38EV1 Electro-Willys, 52 M100 Juice Box
tumbleweed View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tumbleweed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep. 2021 at 8:51pm
So glad you all are having a great time. I really miss being there to share memories. Some of the finest trail guides as well. Lynette and I are in northern Vermont in hopes of seeing some great color. Just got here today and doing some touring the next 9 days. I sure miss the trail rides in CO though. Keep the pictures and reports coming. 
49 CJ3A - Smokey
53 Willys Wagon - Wylie
Chicodave View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chicodave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep. 2021 at 10:47pm
I am wondering if the Rick Pewe and Gone-jpn crew are there?
1949 CJ3a "Crap Game"
1951 Willys Truck
1950 Studebaker 2R5
1952 Chevy 3100 5 window
TERRY View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TERRY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep. 2021 at 11:09pm
[QUOTE=Chicodave]I am wondering if the Rick Pewe and Gone-jpn crew are there?
[/QUOTE
Yep, they're here.]
BOULDER 48 2A
Chicodave View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chicodave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep. 2021 at 2:23am
Sweet, should be some good videos coming out.. Big smile
1949 CJ3a "Crap Game"
1951 Willys Truck
1950 Studebaker 2R5
1952 Chevy 3100 5 window
russnj View Drop Down
Admin
Admin
Webmaster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote russnj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep. 2021 at 5:53am
Thanks all for the updates and pictures! Keep them coming! Thumbs Up

43 MB, 48 CJ2A, 50 CJ3A, 55 M38A1, 56 CJ5, 79 M151A2, M100 ,65 M416
m38mike View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m38mike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep. 2021 at 7:56am
Yesterday was a great day for accomplishments.  Bruce had a very good trail ride with about half of the Jeep crowd up through the town of Turret into the Brown's Canyon National Monument.  They made it out and back without any breakdowns.  And they all had a good time.  But the big news of the day was the CORE (Colorado Off Road Enterprise) work day.  We had Marcus, the Founder, providing our instruction on where and what we needed to do to close some user-created trails alongside of a designated Forest Service road high up near treeline.  We also had Evan, the National Director of Tread Lightly providing work gloves and inspiration, and helping with the project.  We had 21 Jeeps carrying our volunteers for the work day.  We had two breakdowns along the way.  One was a battery cable that shorted itself into two pieces, and a spring shackle that came apart.  It was a wonder to me that more shackles didn't fail under the pounding they took from that rocky, first-gear, go-slow road.  It was an old mining road that took us up through the Mary Murphy Mine up to the Pomeroy Lakes.  Our project sites were at 11,780 feet and at 11, 940 feet.  Talk about taking your breath away.  After completing our work we all went up the the Pomeroy Lakes parking area for a group photo with all the Jeeps and people.  That was at 12,200 feet, and above treeline.  Unfortunately I didn't get any good photos of the work or the day.  But we did have the GONE-GPN film crew there, and a drone taking videos, so we should get some great videos of the event in the near future.  

And working back at the TDR, Alan was able to get a new valve installed in his engine and got it running smoothly again.  I thnk he'll be back on the trail today.  And speaking of today, Ron is taking a group up to Iron Chest, and possibly to Grizzly Lake. That'll be a rough adventure.  And our new guest guide, and longtime friend, Jpet, will be guiding a tour through the 4-mile area just east of Buena Vista.  That's always a fun tour with lots of whoop-de-doo's, banked turns, sandy trails, and great scenery looking at the 14,000 foot mountains of the Sawatch and Collegiate Peak ranges.  

It's coffee time in the shop so I'll cut this off for now, but believe me when I say "It's a great day to be here!!"

Edited by m38mike - 24 Sep. 2021 at 2:17am
M38Mike
46 CJ2A SAMCJ2A
4?-5? CJ2A/3A/M38 Jigsaw
51 M38 Green Jeanne
jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep. 2021 at 9:24pm
Here are some pics from the โ€œfabulousโ€ Four Mile

Lumpy sets up to charge 3rd Gear Hill:

BAM BAM thinks it should be called โ€œ4th Gear Hillโ€

... just sayin

Raffle:

CJ2A #29110 "General Willys"
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

"We do what we can, and we try what we can't"
jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep. 2021 at 9:26pm

CJ2A #29110 "General Willys"
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

"We do what we can, and we try what we can't"
Chicodave View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chicodave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep. 2021 at 12:16am
When I see bambam. The Johnny Cash song goes off in my head "I've been everywhere man, I've been everywhere..." Lol ๐Ÿ˜†
1949 CJ3a "Crap Game"
1951 Willys Truck
1950 Studebaker 2R5
1952 Chevy 3100 5 window
m38mike View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote m38mike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep. 2021 at 7:05am
We had two great rides yesterday.  Jpet took almost two dozen Jeeps across the Arkansas River to go play in the 4-mile area.  Lots of whoop-de-doos and sandy trails and great views of the local 14,000 foot mountains.  They had no major problems they couldn't fix with the parts and skills on hand.  

Ron took about 20 Jeeps up to Iron Chest, a very rugged road that leads to some old mines way above treeline.  And his ride included a special event.  There is a couple, Wade, and my niece Rachel, who first met two years ago at FCT on the Iron Chest ride.  They have become very good friends.  This time when Wade drove Rachel up to the mines, they hiked up to the top of the ridge, over 12,000 feet up.  Only this time when Wade bent down on one knee to catch his breath, he looked up at her and offered Rachel a ring and a question.  She was caught totally off guard, but her answer was quick and sure.  She said yes.  They make a great couple and I predict they will enjoy a long and happy marriage.  

And yesterday evening from about 6:00 to 8:30 we dove into buckets of tickets to call numbers and find winners for the thousands of dollars worth of prizes we had collected.  There were a few couples who seemed to constantly get drawn for a prize.  But when you looked at the massive pile of tickets in their hands you understood that they had invested heavily in their ticket collection to give themselves many many chances to win prizes.  Everyone seemed to have a good time watching as the prizes were whisked away one at a time.  

On to today's event, the Grand Ride on Aspen Ridge.  One group will drive up the ridge from the south.  The other group will drive up the ridge from the north.  And at lunch time they will meet on the ridge in the middle for a large group gathering  and photo opportunity.  So now I'll go check to see if the coffee pot is preparing it's brew to start our day.  
M38Mike
46 CJ2A SAMCJ2A
4?-5? CJ2A/3A/M38 Jigsaw
51 M38 Green Jeanne
Downs View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Downs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep. 2021 at 8:55am
Such great photos Big smile  Totally jealous I'm not there Cry
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1718192021 29>